Buick Lucerne

markfnc

I was at the local International Auto Expo (Cent NC), and sat in a Buick Lucerne. Man I was impressed. It had the Northstar V8 and leather seats, and all the bells and whistles. The leather seats (material) was so soft, and the niceest I saw at the show, besides the King Ranch. It sat nice, and the back seat would jsut put you to sleep it was so comfortable. I shut the doors, and it was very quiet with all the people around.

But, $41,000 for a Buick. Yikes. Anyone looked at them? It had a lot of activity at the show, as far a people looking at it, setting in it etc.

Edited by markfnc

I was at the local International Auto Expo (Cent NC), and sat in a Buick Lucerne. Man I was impressed. It had the Northstar V8 and leather seats, and all the bells and whistles. The leather seats (material) was so soft, and the niceest I saw at the show, besides the King Ranch. It sat nice, and the back seat would jsut put you to sleep it was so comfortable. I shut the doors, and it was very quiet with all the people around.

But, $41,000 for a Buick. Yikes. Anyone looked at them? It had a lot of activity at the show, as far a people looking at it, setting in it etc.

it's a good car - it is a rebodied Cadillac DTS hence the price I guess .. I have never touched one though.

Igor

One of my auto show memories from my teenage years was climbing into a Buick Park Avenue (mid-70s era I think - still RWD) and closing the door. This was in the

, an extremely live acoustic environment, full of people. I have a vivid memory of closing the door, and it was as quiet as a bank vault in there. Couldn't hear a damn thing. And those mid-70's, crushed velour, bordello seats weren't bad either.

I have to agree, there are some Lucernes around town here and everytime I see one I think "Damn that's nice for a Buick." I've looked at them on the Buick website. They can get pretty pricey, starting at 25,000 and going up. But I have to admit, it's a pretty nice car. But I didn't know it was built on a Caddy chassis, I thought the Lucerne was the Buick equivalent of the Impala / Grand Prix.

My problem with the Lucerne is it has absolutely no edginess. The front end is dull and uninspired. Could of launched 15 years ago and wouldn't look futuristic. The chrome touches on the exterior do add a nice touch and the rear isn't as bad but overall it only helps the image of it being for retired people. The interior is a shame, I'm not talking about materials as I haven't been in one and I bet the seats are nice but the whole dash and stearing wheel is just complete and utter crap from a design point, it is

aweful and Kia would never sign off on it for their rio.

Edited by DCK

I always find myself thinking 2 things when I see these vehicles:

"4 speed?"

and

"Front-wheel drive Northstar? what a waste."

Lets remember that six-speed transmissions are often a fix for the real problem- too narrow a torque band. With the Northstar, the car doesn't need any more than four to perform. I'd take a 3800 and call it good though. Plenty motor for that car.

This was our last Buick- a '96 Rviera with a blown 3800. Wifey loved that car.

1995-99-buick-riviera-95121301991406.jpg

The Lucerne gets my attention every time I see one on the road. I think it has a clean elegant design. The car is actually bigger than it appears and that is what makes this car beatiful to look at. To me it looks better than the Cadillac DTS it's based on. I have a couple of issues with the interior design but overall it's not bad. If Buick really wants to attract attention they should do a GS version of it black and chrome with special wheels and premium interior materials.

I always liked the last Riviera. Stylewise, it was true to Riviera heritage of being very Bill Mitchel/Harvey Earl in that it has an unsual but graceful design that was somewhat controversial but continues to look like a piece of automotive art decades later. Thats how the early 70's boattail Rivieras are and I just love them. They are truly beautiful designs.

Unfortunately the personal luxury coupe market dried up so the do it yourselfer home improvement gurus could carry their weekend projects home in SUV's... So instead of reformulating the Riviera into something innovative like a swoopy four door coupe, they beheaded it just like Ford did the Thunderbird.

Edited by Watchdevil

Lets remember that six-speed transmissions are often a fix for the real problem- too narrow a torque band. With the Northstar, the car doesn't need any more than four to perform. I'd take a 3800 and call it good though. Plenty motor for that car.
Maybe for you, but using the 3800 with a four-speed certainly can't be helping to defeat the "old-tech" perception of Buick. The car already has beaten the Avalon's sales in one model year. A few updates could put it away.

This was our last Buick- a '96 Rviera with a blown 3800. Wifey loved that car.

1995-99-buick-riviera-95121301991406.jpg

Sure. If there were about 20 million more of you, there wouldn't be a threat of bankruptcy over GM either.

I'm thinking other 40-50K+ cars from, say, BMW, Lexus, Infiniti etc., with better interiors, RWD, and more than 4 gears probably aren't just throwing the extra gear in there to cover up a small torque band.

As a Ford loyalist, obviously the only thing for Buick to do is to rename the lucerne the park avenue, and add drum brakes.

My family attended the same show and we were most impressed with the...Infiniti G35 sedan. Awesome car for $36,000. The car that I thought was most comfortable in that price range, however was the Volvo S60. Super comfortable IMHO. The most overrated car there...the Toyota Camry.

I did sit in that same Lucerne and was fairly impressed but the interior just still has that same old "Buick" feel to me. It was comfortable though I don't think I'd buy it for myself with other makes available. Just curious...was the LaCrosse as overlooked when you went as it was while we were there? NOBODY showed any interest at all for that Buick. All in all, I'll have to say that Ford had the best interiors as a whole for the money.

Maybe for you, but using the 3800 with a four-speed certainly can't be helping to defeat the "old-tech" perception of Buick. The car already has beaten the Avalon's sales in one model year. A few updates could put it away.

True- but let's not forget price point. A moderately equipped Lucerne comes in at under $26,000 sticker price- which puts the car squarely in Camry-land as far as price is concened, but really competes against the more expensive Avalon in terms of room, ride, and comfort. While the 3800/4-spd may be "low-tech," it also has a well-deserved rep for extraordinary durability and reliability. Drive one, and then tell me it needs more gears. I drove an Avalon a few months ago, and my major gripe was the damned thing was constantly shifting- like the tranny couldn't decide what gear it was supposed to be in. High tech? Crap, I thought it was annoying.

Man, that base V6 on the beast just baffles me. I mean, the VCT equipped 3.5L V6 from the Pontiac G6 has a smuch torque and 30 more ponies with just as meaty of a power band. Its no more expensive to build and would be noticeably more efficient on the highway. But, personally, I think the base v6 should have been the VCT equipped 3.9L v6 from the uplevel G6 and the Impala LTZ. Its got noticeably more torque, a bunch more HP, and weighs the same as the 3800.

Oh well, that's GM for you. They've got about a hundred different motors that can do the same job. 3.5L, 3800, 3.9L, 3.6L DOHC, I believe the 3400 is still around somewhere, the chinese 3.4L in the Equinox and clones, ecotec in 2.0L, 2.2L, and 2.4L, and I4, I5 and I6 derived of the 4200 I6. Three different families of v8, the small truck motors 4.8and 5.3L, the SBC derived family 6.0 and 7.0L, the Northstar, and the big Truck motors 6.0L, 6.2L, and the disappearing big block. HAve I missed any? Oh yeah, Saab's got a few.

True- but let's not forget price point. A moderately equipped Lucerne comes in at under $26,000 sticker price- which puts the car squarely in Camry-land as far as price is concened, but really competes against the more expensive Avalon in terms of room, ride, and comfort.
I don't care about price point. I'm tired of American cars settling for less impressive powertrains and interiors and everything else, all for the sake of saving a few pennies.

While the 3800/4-spd may be "low-tech," it also has a well-deserved rep for extraordinary durability and reliability.
Let me get this straight. I'm not doubting the quality of either. No one can. I'm just saying that they've had their time, and now it's time for GM to make more modern powertrains that are MORE reliable. They can't keep clinging to the past like that.

Drive one, and then tell me it needs more gears.
I don't have to. It's not a matter of how good it actually is. It's a matter of perception. The Buick is already down a gear to the Avalon. Frankly, the fact that BOTH makers have 6-speeds in the Saturn Aura and Toyota Camry, respectively, and don't put either in cars that they want more than $25,000 for is...unintelligent. I think it looks worse for Buick when Toyota gets just 7 less horsepower out of a V6 than Buick gets out of a V8 (268 vs. 275), AND has one more gear.

I drove an Avalon a few months ago, and my major gripe was the damned thing was constantly shifting- like the tranny couldn't decide what gear it was supposed to be in. High tech? Crap, I thought it was annoying.
I've searched a bunch of reviews, and can't find someone who says that. Edmunds said that the previous generation did that, but the new one's a lot better.

My problem with the Lucerne is it has absolutely no edginess. The front end is dull and uninspired. Could of launched 15 years ago and wouldn't look futuristic. The chrome touches on the exterior do add a nice touch and the rear isn't as bad but overall it only helps the image of it being for retired people. The interior is a shame, I'm not talking about materials as I haven't been in one and I bet the seats are nice but the whole dash and stearing wheel is just complete and utter crap from a design point, it is

aweful and Kia would never sign off on it for their rio.

Interesting comparison. For grins, here they are in photos:

Lucerne:

buick_lucerne_cxs_2006_interior_19_346x270.jpg

Kia Rio:

kia_rio_sx5door_2006_interior_19_346x270.jpg

A couple of others from the Korean side:

Kia Optima:

kia_optima(20065)_exv6_2006_interior_19_346x270.jpg

Hyundai Azera: (Note: Bad choice of green radio/HVAC controls when gauges are blue)

59.jpg

-Ovaltine

Edited by Ovaltine

Interesting comparison. For grins, here they are in photos:

Lucerne:

buick_lucerne_cxs_2006_interior_19_346x270.jpg

Kia Rio:

kia_rio_sx5door_2006_interior_19_346x270.jpg

A couple of others from the Korean side:

Kia Optima:

kia_optima(20065)_exv6_2006_interior_19_346x270.jpg

Hyundai Azera: (Note: Bad choice of green radio/HVAC controls when gauges are blue)

59.jpg

-Ovaltine

ok... they're all boring and ugly ... the point is?

ok... they're all boring and ugly ... the point is?

No point other than to offer a true visual representation of what the other poster was verbally comparing.

I guess my posting was sort of like artwork.... something to allow you to observe, and then make you interpretation.

Now if you'd like to spice up the thread with a graphic or two of what *you* deem as a couple of dashboards that you find inspiring, then please, go right ahead!

-Ovaltine

Edited by Ovaltine

I don't have to. It's not a matter of how good it actually is. It's a matter of perception. The Buick is already down a gear to the Avalon. Frankly, the fact that BOTH makers have 6-speeds in the Saturn Aura and Toyota Camry, respectively, and don't put either in cars that they want more than $25,000 for is...unintelligent. I think it looks worse for Buick when Toyota gets just 7 less horsepower out of a V6 than Buick gets out of a V8 (268 vs. 275), AND has one more gear.

I've searched a bunch of reviews, and can't find someone who says that. Edmunds said that the previous generation did that, but the new one's a lot better.

1. Public perception can't be that bad- the Lucerne outsells the Avalon by a significant margin. They're on track to kick about 70,000 Lucernes out the door in 2007, and another 40,000 La Crosses (there's the problem). The Lucerne seems to be robbing quite a bit of la Crosse business- not surprising when you look at and price the cars.

2. The Avalon has 12 outstanding powertrain TSB's on the new bodystyle, compared to the Lucernes whopping 2. Go figure.

source: http://www.mycarstats.com/

Edited by PolarBear