Toyota Doubles Incentives on Tundra

range

Toyota bumps incentives another $1,000 on Tundra

Automotive News / March 28, 2007

LOS ANGELES -- Facing pricing pressure from domestic automakers willing to place cash incentives on their full-sized pickups, Toyota Division has added a nationwide $1,000 spiff on the just-launched 2007 Tundra.

:happy feet:

LOS ANGELES -- Facing pricing pressure from domestic automakers willing to place cash incentives on their full-sized pickups, Toyota Division has added a nationwide $1,000 spiff on the just-launched 2007 Tundra.

The new incentive can only be applied to help a customer with a vehicle trade-in allowance, said Denise Morrissey of Toyota. Dealers do not have to spend the entire $1,000; they can offer it how they see fit, Morrissey said.

Toyota already has incentives of up to $2,000 cash back on the Tundra, which vary by model and region. The standard cab Tundra has as much as $2,000 cash back, depending on the region. The extended cab model has up to a $1,000 spiff. The Crew Max model has no incentives, and the trade-in assistance is not applicable on that model, Morrissey said. ...

I must confess this great news made my day! I also hope they cant sell the projected numbers. It really is a fricken ugly truck. :happy feet:

Edited by 06StangAwesomecar

:happy feet:

The new incentive can only be applied to help a customer with a vehicle trade-in allowance, said Denise Morrissey of Toyota. Dealers do not have to spend the entire $1,000; they can offer it how they see fit, Morrissey said.

Toyota already has incentives of up to $2,000 cash back on the Tundra, which vary by model and region. The standard cab Tundra has as much as $2,000 cash back, depending on the region. The extended cab model has up to a $1,000 spiff. The Crew Max model has no incentives, and the trade-in assistance is not applicable on that model, Morrissey said. ...

I must confess this great news made my day! I also hope they cant sell the projected numbers. It really is a fricken ugly truck. :happy feet:

well, i had a chance this past week to drive a loaded new tundra, a friends company decided to buy one for work purposes, ironically replacing a 99 Superduty they put 233k on... anyways, from the short amount i drove it, the gears seem like they are setup for a fast truck, not a puller.. comparing this to the old superduty and my uncles 06 f150... when unloaded the thing is a rocketship... but loaded it feels a bit off in the gearing in how it gets going and doesnt seem happy loaded.. thats just my seat of the pants feel i got..

Because Ford has $3000 - $5000 on the hood of the F150. I recently saw a loaded F150 for 12K under MSRP....

What a 1990?

Anyway with the "OH SO LOYAL" Yoda people their should not be any incentives, I dont know how they are even still on the lots since they are just so awsome. I am still hoping they dont sell there projected numbers on there over rated truck.

What a 1990?

Anyway with the "OH SO LOYAL" Yoda people their should not be any incentives, I dont know how they are even still on the lots since they are just so awsome. I am still hoping they dont sell there projected numbers on there over rated truck.

No, it was a loaded 2006 King ranch..... ( One of the Many 2006 still on the lot )

The 2007 trucks were about 5K-8K under MSRP...

Edited by sranger

Because Ford has $3000 - $5000 on the hood of the F150. I recently saw a loaded F150 for 12K under MSRP....

Exactly. Ford has too much capacity and must discount.

Toyota has too much capacity and must discount.

Only thing is, Ford will lose about 200k units of capacity in June, when they close Norfolk.

Toyota just opened 200k units of capacity in San Antonio.

Nothing like spending $1.2B for the privilege of eroding your brand's reputation with $2k incentives--including incentives to your own dealers.

Well, what month was Dodge giving the upgrade to a Hemi for free, and how much of an option is it? I wonder if that is why the incentive number is so high.....

The dodge dealership is giving UP to $7500 off (including $500 military rebate etc) and the free hemi upgrade...they seem to be selling steady amounts...i've been seeing them on the streets a lot lately. I'm not sure about Ford but I know its not that far off from the Ram either and they have far more F-150's in their inventory and the F-250 just got here so i'll wonder if it will change any????

Saw a TV ad last night that here in Palm Beach (FL), if you buy a new Tundra, you'll get a FREE lease on a Corolla.

Hmmm, they must be hot to trot to sell one. 'Haven't seen one on the road yet.

Edited by RaZor

Saw a TV ad last night that here in Palm Beach (FL), if you buy a new Tundra, you'll get a FREE least on a Corolla.

Hmmm, they must be hot to trot to sell one. 'Haven't seen one on the road yet.

ok ladies dont get too cocky......if toyoya wanted to they could undercut the f-150 by 5 grand and still be profitable and put ford under but............but they wont because of a backlash fear...........so its wake up time ford .ford get your s**t together your on borrowed time its your last gasp of air..................and iam a FORD DIE HARD.... but truth is truth

ok ladies dont get too cocky......if toyoya wanted to they could undercut the f-150 by 5 grand and still be profitable and put ford under but............but they wont because of a backlash fear...........so its wake up time ford .ford get your s**t together your on borrowed time its your last gasp of air..................and iam a FORD DIE HARD.... but truth is truth

Yeah. Toyota could undercut the F150 by $5 grand, and get sued for dumping... But that's not it.

You think Toyota could ever get the price of their Tundras jacked up again once they've dropped the price $5k?

thats amuzing, even at a 5grand discount I dont think they will move as well as Toyota would like

Yeah. Toyota could undercut the F150 by $5 grand, and get sued for dumping... But that's not it.

You think Toyota could ever get the price of their Tundras jacked up again once they've dropped the price $5k?

they have so much cash to burn they could dictate the market,and i believe if they really wanted to they could probably put 2 of the american 3 out to pasture if they went for an all out assault...there no friends for sure the only thing stopping them is that backlash fear or they would go for the jugular...........could they re-coup the 5 grand difference later.........well if there is no competition i believe they could charge what they felt like...........iam no toyada fan believe me.

This is one area that I don't think Toyota is going to overtake unless they undercut Ford/GM/Dodge a lot.

I grew up on a farm in the midwest and let me tell you - some of these guys would revert back to a horse and wagon before they would buy a Japanese truck! ;) I'd imagine it is the same mentality in states like Oklahoma and Texas as well.

Cars are one thing mostly because of gas prices. But when it comes to trucks, the working man in the midwest take them seriously and take pride in having a "Built Ford Tough" in their driveway. So I think that the best Toyota can hope for is tapping the urban market with their truck selection. It just will not fly in the central, plains and southern states.

I grew up on a farm in the midwest and let me tell you - some of these guys would revert back to a horse and wagon before they would buy a Japanese truck! ;) I'd imagine it is the same mentality in states like Oklahoma and Texas as well.

My buddy works for a smallish produce company here in the valley that wants to replace his 175k mile chevy (water pump was the only thing replaced) with a new Tundra. He flat out told THE OWNER OF THE COMPANY that he would rather keep driving the Chevy.

Nobody here in the valley wants the Tundra, none. Thats not to say they wont be tried out here and there with a few but the over whelming majority of people out here simply don't want one and this is in California.

My Dad was leaning toward the Tundra, until I told him, "Uh Dad??...you know it is as half ton truck..." Viola!! There is a 2008 SD booklet on his coffee table and he really likes the tailgate step...wants his F250SD in Dark Toredor Red. The problem today is he already got rid of moms Sable (145K) and went with a Camry....Mom wants a Sable again now that I showed her the pic of the 08 version, and Dad replaced his Buick Park Ave with a Kia Amanti (lost 1/2 of its value in the first year). And now is thinking Lincoln again (Thank the Gods!!)

The problem seems that the Japanese, Korean, Asian, and other non-domestics are reaching for the "bread and butter" of this market and they are grabbing it through the dealerships...while the "American" dealerships are too busy trying to screw over "mom and pop america" by waving a flag in their faces while picking their pockets clean.

For the domestics to turn it around, they really need to get on the dealer network and get rid of all the sheisters and flim-flam artists that make the brands look bad.

they have so much cash to burn they could dictate the market,and i believe if they really wanted to they could probably put 2 of the american 3 out to pasture if they went for an all out assault...there no friends for sure the only thing stopping them is that backlash fear or they would go for the jugular...........could they re-coup the 5 grand difference later.........well if there is no competition i believe they could charge what they felt like...........iam no toyada fan believe me.

There are dumping laws that prevent Toyota from doing what you suggest, and lawsuits may be filed by companies, they do not need to be filed by the government.

HOWEVER,

The big thing you're missing is that Toyota would not be able to jack up their prices, once they lower them to drive Ford/GM out of business.

If people get used to paying $14k for a new Camry, Toyota can't jack the price back up to $20k and continue to sell them at the same rate. People won't stand for it. They'll stop buying Camries.

Edited by RichardJensen

Huh? Whachu talkin' bout, Willis? No 'cockiness' in my statement whatsoever. I merely reported the ads that PB Toyota has been running real heavy last couple of days. Just what do you suppose a 'Free lease' for a Corolla is worth? I didn't bother following up with them to determine whether it is a one, two, or three, or more year lease (to determine the $ value - but it prolly is worth at least $5k). But my guess is that they must have an excessive amount of Tundras AND Corollas on the lot to warrant running TV ads as often as they have been locally. They and another local Toyota dealer have been running special deals/incentives on the Prius the last month as they even state in the ad, ". . .sale ends when stock returns to normal levels..."

Just reporting a smidgen of the incentives (the Camry and Corolla discounts have been running for months) that cropped up all of a sudden here locally. The fact that I have yet to see a new Tundra on the road in the largest county (land wise) east of the Mississippi) where Camry's and Lexus' are seen all over the place, may be indicative of the problems the local Toyota dealers have with selling the Tundra. Nothing more, nothing less.

Another observation: I find it amazing how many on this forum are calling for Ford to put out higher performance vehicles. It is interesting that no one seems to realize that the energy situation isn't even to the crisis level yet, but it will be sooner than most seem to realize. Hopefully, Ford realizes this and doesn't get caught with it's pants down again with offerings that are very fuel efficient. We are also rapidly approaching a trillion dollar trade deficit and there just isn't any way that things aren't going to change drastically in the not-to-distant-future.