Ford Transit

BORG

Of course there's a market, I see the Sprinters everyday here, even in my residential neighborhood they are all over the place with small business names on them.

And with Ford only building the ancient Econoline they could really use the Transit..

The Econoline is not as antiquated as some make out...there are many things that the transit cannot do that the old ford van can....and companies still seem to be buying enough of them...but if the transit comes it will be a plus that I would welcome...because if the two vans were sold together, ford would own the market.

Edited by suv_guy_19

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the Connect fills the void left by the death of the Astro/Safari as a work truck

I disagree ! The Astro/Safari (and the old Aerostar) were small rear wheel drive vans. The Transit Connect is front wheel drive (see Transit Connect )

In Europe, the Transit Connect comes in short and long wheelbase and the only engines are 4 cylinder turbocharged diesels. I don't know if North America will get both wheelbases and the window version (called Touneo Connect in Europe) or what engine. Don't look for it until 2009-10 MY.

I know a guy who is moving to Europe to work on the NA version of the regular Transit. No plant for manufacturing has been designated (but I'm guessing that UAW would have a hard time competing against Mexico/Brazil !) Don't expect it to hit the US until '11/'12.

I disagree ! The Astro/Safari (and the old Aerostar) were small rear wheel drive vans. The Transit Connect is front wheel drive (see Transit Connect )

In Europe, the Transit Connect comes in short and long wheelbase and the only engines are 4 cylinder turbocharged diesels. I don't know if North America will get both wheelbases and the window version (called Touneo Connect in Europe) or what engine. Don't look for it until 2009-10 MY.

I know a guy who is moving to Europe to work on the NA version of the regular Transit. No plant for manufacturing has been designated (but I'm guessing that UAW would have a hard time competing against Mexico/Brazil !) Don't expect it to hit the US until '11/'12.

doesnt matter what the drive wheels are.

we are talking about a smaller than E150 sized van

It sure does if you are trying to pulll a trailer !

The Honda Element can only tow 1500 lbs.

the Transit Connect is BASED ON THE FREAKING FOCUS .... it is for Flower delivery business and others that do not need large volume and heavy payloads .. they can afford a delivery car that gets 35mpg from a gasser .. they have been using the Focus Wagons, the PT Cruisers and now HHR PanelVans ... or stripped down minivans .. the TC would not go after the segment towing boats or machinery and hauling arounf 3/4 of a ton of material. That segment will need a V6-V8 powered BOF Van like the Transit or the E-series...

If we try to make every car in the lineup be have towing capacity of 4000lbs we will never sell anything ..if you need to do serious towing ,Transit Connect is not for you ..

The large transit is FWD, RWD or AWD, and comes in I4 - to - V6 engines - Gas or diesel.

Igor

Edited by igor

It sure does if you are trying to pulll a trailer !

The Honda Element can only tow 1500 lbs.

we are not talking about an Element.

What part of this dont you get?

Electricians and Plumbers need to get downtown NY, Chicago, Boston, Toronto etc. An Astro was nice because it was smaller had had decent city MPG. AND!!!!!!! can part in underground garages.

WTF does an Element have to do with this?

We are talking work trucks.

Have you ever driven a work truck? Ever needed one? Obviously not if you are bringing up the Element.

the Transit Connect is BASED ON THE FREAKING FOCUS .... it is for Flower delivery business and others that do not need large volume and heavy payloads .. they can afford a delivery car that gets 35mpg from a gasser .. they have been using the Focus Wagons, the PT Cruisers and now HHR PanelVans ... or stripped down minivans .. the TC would not go after the segment towing boats or machinery and hauling arounf 3/4 of a ton of material. That segment will need a V6-V8 powered BOF Van like the Transit or the E-series...

If we try to make every car in the lineup be have towing capacity of 4000lbs we will never sell anything ..if you need to do serious towing ,Transit Connect is not for you ..

The large transit is FWD, RWD or AWD, and comes in I4 - to - V6 engines - Gas or diesel.

Igor

I absolutely agree.

But there is still a market for a smaller than E150 van.

Which is based on the Ranger?

falconman13 is correct ..

Transit is on a unique frame - Ford OE has been developing that frame for years and generations.

Transit Connect is FWD and loosely based on the C170 (MkI Focus)platform with solid rear axle.

Igor

Edited by igor

• 2 weeks later...

2070424.003.mini5L.jpg

"Inside the cab the features are just as impressive: leather seats, air conditioning, six CD-player with remote steering column-mounted controls, cruise control, power windows, power and heated mirrors, leather steering wheel, tinted glass and leather gearshift knob.

Further standard features include: power door deadlocks with second key fob, rain-sensing wipers, auto headlights, front fog lights, passenger airbag and load area protection kit."

http://www.worldcarfans.com/news.cfm/count...van-revealed-uk

"Inside the cab the features are just as impressive: leather seats, air conditioning, six CD-player with remote steering column-mounted controls, cruise control, power windows, power and heated mirrors, leather steering wheel, tinted glass and leather gearshift knob.

Further standard features include: power door deadlocks with second key fob, rain-sensing wipers, auto headlights, front fog lights, passenger airbag and load area protection kit."

http://www.worldcarfans.com/news.cfm/count...van-revealed-uk

You left out: ".....all of which will be stripped and replaced with the cheapest supplier parts when it arrives on American shores."

:banghead:

You left out: ".....all of which will be stripped and replaced with the cheapest supplier parts when it arrives on American shores."

:banghead:

this is the performance 'for show" car . you really think there is a viable market fot hotrod utility vans?

heh..

TC is coming ... rumblings are strenghtening that T is coming too.,

Igor

this is the performance 'for show" car . you really think there is a viable market fot hotrod utility vans?

Igor

You might be surprised. It's worth a try, considering all the add-ons live in the parts bin already.

It's not for everybody, but . . . . Toyota's there, with the Scion.

In my case, 75% of the time, there's just me in my car. 20% of the time, there's 2 people, and 5% with 3 or 4.

So, for me, it would be a nice ride for carrying the guitars and amps.