Ranger Speculation

BORG

Gee, you'd think Ford would have noticed gas prices going up over 5 years ago, but nah, I guess they figured it was just an anomoly. :finger:

please tell me who did notice gas prices were going up.

Toyota and Nissan? Building even bigger, thirstier trucks with new plants?

Or BMW and MB whose engines keep getting bigger?

Or Honda who suddenly decided to start making bigger, heavier trucks?

Maybe it was VW that decided a full size car with an 8cyl engine made a lot of sense.

Really. Please tell me who saw these price increases coming because from what I have seen, no manufacturer seemed to be developing plans for these gas prices. They actually seem to have developed plans for flat pricing to 5 years ago.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

please tell me who did notice gas prices were going up.

Toyota and Nissan? Building even bigger, thirstier trucks with new plants?

Or BMW and MB whose engines keep getting bigger?

Or Honda who suddenly decided to start making bigger, heavier trucks?

Maybe it was VW that decided a full size car with an 8cyl engine made a lot of sense.

Really. Please tell me who saw these price increases coming because from what I have seen, no manufacturer seemed to be developing plans for these gas prices. They actually seem to have developed plans for flat pricing to 5 years ago.

Let's see:

Toyota, Honda, and Nissan already had fuel efficient cars that were compitent and far ahead of anything Ford offered, and Toyota's and Nissan's midsize pickups were already worlds ahead of the Ranger. Toyota and Nissan entering the fullsize truck market only means that they still see a market there for profits, which there is. It's just not as large as it used to be. As for Honda's trucks, sure they may be larger than years past, but they are all pretty fuel stingy.

BMW and MB are pretty irrelevant to the topic of fuel prices. Fuel costs never much effect luxury car sales, as those buyers typically won't care about paying a few extra bucks at the pump.

Volkswagen....when do they ever do anything that makes sense? :hysterical: But seriously, the Phaeton and Passat W8 were intended to appeal to higher end luxury types, which again goes back to them not really caring about fuel prices. VW just over-estimated the public's desire for a luxury VW. Their high end Audis are still selling just fine.

As for nobody being prepared. That's funny. I don't recall anyone selling B-cars 5 years ago, but now we have the Aveo, Versa, Fit, and Yaris. Even BMW is getting into it to a point with their Mini brand. Here we are still 2 years off from Ford's entry into that segment.

Plain and simple, Ford blew it when it came to their vehicle cycle plans for this entire decade.

Edited by NickF1011

Gee, you'd think Ford would have noticed gas prices going up over 5 years ago, but nah, I guess they figured it was just an anomoly. :finger:

More likely, Ford noticed gas prices going up and compact pickup sales going down, and figured the two weren't connected.

Lifestyle truck buyers apparently don't want compact trucks--they're not 'cool', and when gas prices force them out of the fullsize truck market, they go back to cars. For business and fleet users, either they're still able to pass on the higher costs, or smaller trucks just won't do.

Re: Ranger

If the 25% truck import tariff goes away, Ford will probably import the global Ranger.

If the 25% truck import tariff stays, Ford will build the F100 alongside either the F150 or the Explorer on a frame closely related to these vehicles.

There may be plans in the works to do both, actually. One contingent on tariff removal, the other greenlighted and on its way.

Ford will not build the global Ranger in the U.S.

None of this really confirms the T6 Truck will make it to the USA but:

The 25% tarriff on trucks does not apply to countries that sign free trade agreememts with the US. As an Example Ford Australia could export the Falcon based Half chassis 1-Tonne Ute to the US with out 25% tarriff. They come in style side and tray back as well as a high ride height RTV. The Territory's 4WD can be adapted to make it more versatile.

:stirpot: We could even put a Mustang nose on it too!

The T6 Light Truck Project is the replacement for the global Ranger and is expected to be be built in at least Thailand. It's expected to be available in over 80 countries with over 400,000 sales/year world wide.

If Thailand had a FTA with the US, then Ford could import trucks from there without Tarriffs or just set up a plant in Mexico to build them. Either way, they side step the UAW again.

Edited by jpd80

More likely, Ford noticed gas prices going up and compact pickup sales going down, and figured the two weren't connected.

Lifestyle truck buyers apparently don't want compact trucks--they're not 'cool', and when gas prices force them out of the fullsize truck market, they go back to cars. For business and fleet users, either they're still able to pass on the higher costs, or smaller trucks just won't do.

I continue to disagree with this type of thinking. Maybe here in New Mexico, we see a bigger percentage of Ford Rangers. A good many of them are indeed fleet vehicles - the utility companies, the state, the county and all sorts of others with signs on their doors and racks across the rear and roof. The glass companies even use them totally loaded down with glass within the cities. We actually own an older one that we use as a work truck with a snow plow in the mountains for the winter.

All I can say is that I see myself coming and going in my 2003 Ranger - it is arguably one of the most popular 4X4 vehicles on the road in my area. What is different about my area from the rest of the country? I don't know except that people are value conscious and tend to be less trend conscious. They look for vehicles that are reliable and fill their needs. I'm sure the fleet sales are due to cost conscious, but the Ranger in any kind of trim level, especially 4X4 is still not a particularly cheap vehicle.

I say that Ford is missing out big time if they don't update this much loved vehicle and take on the Tacomas and the Frontiers of the world. A mid-sized truck that has a strong chassis and drivetrain with a reasonably fuel efficient V-8 option could be the vehicle that Ford needs to pull themselves out of their current mess.

They really need to offer a bigger cab and once again - NO - the SportTrac is not an option if you want a truck. What a waste of money in my opinion and yes, we have a recent model in the family and I think that is a very disappointing vehicle. For one thing - why make the rear seat passengers suffer so much? The rear seat belt is attached either to the seat or somewhere very close and that plus the poor front foot room makes for an uncomfortable experience. That is spoken from personal experience.

And, I'm not sure but I think there is a rough shifting automatic tranny in these vehicles and if you sit in the rear, probably transaxle whine. Not the least bit impressed and 13 mpg with the V-6? How did they do that to the same engine that I reguarly get 18 mpg with my Ranger?

Lots of room for improvement no matter how you look at the situation.

Not the least bit impressed and 13 mpg with the V-6? How did they do that to the same engine that I reguarly get 18 mpg with my Ranger?

Lots of room for improvement no matter how you look at the situation.

hell, i filled up today and the math said i got 21mpg average with my Ranger today. 3.0, 5spd ext cab with not a ton of power options. maybe its the low resistance black paint? ha ha.

ive been more impressed with the Mexican Crew Cab Ranger than the Sport Trac. if it was here, id have probably purchased that instead of the model i have now. The SportTrac never interested me or was even on my shopping list.

It is up to Ford to research the ENTIRE U.S. auto market, not just what you see in New Mexico.

Heck. If they did all their research in Meade Co. SD, they would think the entire world was on its tracks, or as Aldous Huxley wrote, "Ford's in his flivver, all's right with the world."

The plain simple unalterable fact is that rising gas prices have not boosted the sales of small and midsize trucks.

No amount of arguing, no amount of "I've seen...." will change that.

The market for these vehicles is shrinking (and has been for, unless I miss my guess, the better part of a decade). I couldn't give you an explanation why, but I can tell you for a fact that it is NOT tied to gas prices.

Ford will maintain some kind of sub-F-Series truck, and there will always be demand for vehicles like this.

However, the amount of money Ford should invest in this project needs to be dictated not by the desires and effective demand of a single user like you, but by the desires and effective demand of a body of customers sufficient to profitably sustain volume on an annual basis.

And when I say 'desire' that's exactly what I mean. You do not "need" a new Ranger. You want one.

I want a small house in Sienese Italy. Doesn't mean I'm going to get what I want either. Nor does it matter that I really like that part of Italy. It doesn't make sense for the owner of said small house to sell it to me for the $28 I'm prepared to spend on it.

The relationship to Ford and your desire for a sub-F150 is direct. Your desire for the truck you have described on this site repeatedly is no guarantee that such a truck would be profitable. It's simply you expressing what you want. Ford may provide you with such a vehicle, or they may not.

Further understand that Ford may not suffer financially if they don't provide you a vehicle that you want.

How many people think Toyota is suffering because they don't have true 3/4 & 1 ton trucks?

How many people think that Toyota would be able to make money off 3/4 & 1 ton trucks?

How many people think that there are Toyota fans out there that are saying, "I wish Toyota made a larger truck. I don't want to buy a F-350, but I will if I have to, and it will be Toyota's fault they've lost a customer."

Edited by RichardJensen

hell, i filled up today and the math said i got 21mpg average with my Ranger today. 3.0, 5spd ext cab with not a ton of power options. maybe its the low resistance black paint? ha ha.

ive been more impressed with the Mexican Crew Cab Ranger than the Sport Trac. if it was here, id have probably purchased that instead of the model i have now. The SportTrac never interested me or was even on my shopping list.

Mine is a 2003 4X4 with 4.0 six cylinder - it does have the manual tranny but that advantage is probably offset by its 4.10 limited/slip rear gears. The truck is a mountain goat in 4X4 and I have yet to see less than 17.8 mpg on a tank of gas and I keep track of it. Being the cheapskate that I am, I bought it when it was a little over a year old and 9,000 miles, local trade-in truck at a $7,000 best cash offer discount over new - have not had a single problem with it.

These are great trucks and might be Ford's most trouble-free product on the road right now. Sometimes I feel bad about clamoring for an improvement. Just can't help but think it would make such a nice truck for the two of us if it was just a tad more comfortable. Really would not take much except that I would need a V-8 option due to boating activity in the summer.

BTW, Pipas, last month or the month before corrected a long standing assumption about the Ranger.

Some smart aleck analyst queried him about fleet volume propping up Ranger sales, and he pointed out that the Ranger registered something like 11% fleet volume that month (less than the Camry), and that the Ranger is consistently one of the least fleeted of Ford's vehicle lineup.