Ranger Speculation

BORG

We are 1 year from the plant's closure and Ford has made no announcement for the Ranger. It's clear Ford will not have a replacement in play by the time the plant closes. And the only truck currently under development is the F-150. Could Ford be positioning the next F-Series to absorb the remainder of the Ranger market? There have been mules running around sans the standard cab extension of the current F-150. Could the F-150 be positioned to pick up the mid-top end of the Ranger lineup?

Edited by BORG

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

We are 1 year from the plant's closure and Ford has made no announcement for the Ranger. It's clear Ford will not have a replacement in play by the time the plant closes. And the only truck currently under development is the F-150. Could Ford be positioning the next F-Series to absorb the remainder of the Ranger market? There have been mules running around sans the standard cab extension of the current F-150. Could the F-150 be positioned to pick up the mid-top end of the Ranger lineup?

The 3 ton F-150 could never be a replacement for the little Ranger, it's a travesty that Ford has simply chosen to give up on this market they once dominated. And I can't help but believe much has changed at Ford until Mulally announces an all new Ranger..

The 3 ton F-150 could never be a replacement for the little Ranger, it's a travesty that Ford has simply chosen to give up on this market they once dominated. And I can't help but believe much has changed at Ford until Mulally announces an all new Ranger..

Yes...because none of the other progress that you choose not to see (that actually was mostly bill ford and mark fields) counts for nothing. It all rests on the ranger.

Edited by suv_guy_19

Yes...because none of the other progress that you choose not to see (that actually was mostly bill ford and mark fields) counts for nothing. It all rests on the ranger.

There's plenty of other cars and trucks that have been either abandoned or screwed up, but we're not talking about those, this thread is about the Ranger, and nobody can deny how bad Ford ruined it..

There's plenty of other cars and trucks that have been either abandoned or screwed up, but we're not talking about those, this thread is about the Ranger, and nobody can deny how bad Ford ruined it..

Can't be as bad as what Chevy did to the S10. Make it bigger, uglier, give it a smaller engine, price it to the moon, and...........

send the dealer group out memos on how they're being ineffective selling the thing. :banghead:

Can't be as bad as what Chevy did to the S10. Make it bigger, uglier, give it a smaller engine, price it to the moon, and...........

send the dealer group out memos on how they're being ineffective selling the thing. :banghead:

So true.

Spending money on a heavy redesign only to have it drop in sales in not a good business model.

Given the decline in the small truck market and the threat of the 25% chicken tax being lifted, Ford is wise to refain from heavily investing in a vehicle that is already the most fuel efficient truck on the market.

The Explorer and Ranger haven't shared the same frame since the '01 model year. In '02, the Explorer moved to it's own frame. The Sport Trac continued using the Ranger frame, until it's redesign IIRC.

he meant Explorer sharign frame with F150.

Ford has 2 trucks under development. a unitbody "lifestyle truck" - a counterpart to the Explorer and F100 based on a smaller F150 frame.

Igor

The Explorer and Ranger haven't shared the same frame since the '01 model year. In '02, the Explorer moved to it's own frame. The Sport Trac continued using the Ranger frame, until it's redesign IIRC.

The Explorer went to its' own frame in 1995. In 1998 the Ranger was given a version of the Explorer front suspension. The ST stayed on the 1995 Explorer frame untill they quit building it. AFAIK the 2002-2005 was a new frame. The 2006 could be called a new frame as well as it had many changes.

I know I'll get beat up for this, but again Ford Ranger sales have doubled elsewhere (http://www.carpages.co.uk/ford/ford-ranger-part-1-09-03-06.asp) and Ford has standardized the name pretty much globally now. It would be shockingly stupid to abandon the Ranger name in the US after changing Australia's small truck to match. There have been a lot of threads about the global small truck project (not BT-50), so I kind of doubt there isn't any kind of plan as of yet. If gas keeps going up competitive smaller trucks will become anything but a shrinking market.

I really would have a tough time getting excited about an F150 derivative.

It is a shame that Ford is letting the Ranger Die...

I was a 100% a Toyota Fan through much of the 80's. However, when I wanted a small pickup in the 90's I took a look at the small Nissan/Toyota Trucks and the Ford Ranger. It was the V6 Ranger that sold me on Ford and made me switch from Toyota. I really liked the little Ranger. Since the Ranger, I have owned: 2000 F150, 2005 Mustang GT, and 2005 Mariner. I would have never even considered becoming a Ford fan if it had not been for the Ranger....

Ford has 2 trucks under development. a unitbody "lifestyle truck" - a counterpart to the Explorer and F100 based on a smaller F150 frame.

We have all seen the smaller mule pics of the F100, But this is the first I am hearing of a unitbody truck, Could it be the re-birth of the Ranchero? or will it be a B car based truck based on the new B platform?

Any ideas?

post-24042-1175781127_thumb.jpg

Sales may not be where they want, but the Colorado is a billion times better than the S-10 it replaced. I just got a New Colorado company trruck, 4X4, ext cab, 5cyl, AT. No bells and whistles. It replaced a 2003 S-10, 4X4, ext cab, V-6 AT.

I was very leary when I was informed of what they were buying. Why, because the S-10 was the worst POS I've EVER had. Even when it was running right, it was just awful. Burned through brakes, wheel bearings, springs..... The 4.3 V-6 got horrid MPG, & was a rough running dog to boot. It's the only vehicle I've ever just plain hated. The company finaly retired it at 140K mi.

BTW I'd had two 2WD Dakota's prior to the S-10, Both of which I drove to 220K + mi, Only issue was the notorious 90K mi Dodge transmission. But overall I liked the Dakota.

Back to the Colorado: I've put 6K mi on it in about a 6 weeks, and it's been great. I really like this truck. Not a fan of 5 cyl engines, but this one is far superior the the 90deg V06 POS in the S-10. More Power and WAY better MPG. Cab is much better, ride is a billion times better, styling sucks, (I think someone here correctly comparerd it to an angry wasp).

Just my 2 cents

Re: Ranger

If the 25% truck import tariff goes away, Ford will probably import the global Ranger.

If the 25% truck import tariff stays, Ford will build the F100 alongside either the F150 or the Explorer on a frame closely related to these vehicles.

There may be plans in the works to do both, actually. One contingent on tariff removal, the other greenlighted and on its way.

Ford will not build the global Ranger in the U.S.

Sales may not be where they want, but the Colorado is a billion times better than the S-10 it replaced. I just got a New Colorado company trruck, 4X4, ext cab, 5cyl, AT. No bells and whistles. It replaced a 2003 S-10, 4X4, ext cab, V-6 AT.

I was very leary when I was informed of what they were buying. Why, because the S-10 was the worst POS I've EVER had. Even when it was running right, it was just awful. Burned through brakes, wheel bearings, springs..... The 4.3 V-6 got horrid MPG, & was a rough running dog to boot. It's the only vehicle I've ever just plain hated. The company finaly retired it at 140K mi.

BTW I'd had two 2WD Dakota's prior to the S-10, Both of which I drove to 220K + mi, Only issue was the notorious 90K mi Dodge transmission. But overall I liked the Dakota.

Back to the Colorado: I've put 6K mi on it in about a 6 weeks, and it's been great. I really like this truck. Not a fan of 5 cyl engines, but this one is far superior the the 90deg V06 POS in the S-10. More Power and WAY better MPG. Cab is much better, ride is a billion times better, styling sucks, (I think someone here correctly comparerd it to an angry wasp).

Just my 2 cents

Do you like sitting on the floor in the truck and the sensation of having smething slap against your foot all he time...that would kill the sale for me...does yours have the front style seats in the back that don't let you see in the back window? I'm not trying to argue..i just hate smal pickups of any kind...they are one of the most dangerous vehicles becuase of the roll over risk....and they feel cheap....but your riht...they really were a big improvement over the s10

Re: Ranger

If the 25% truck import tariff goes away, Ford will probably import the global Ranger.

If the 25% truck import tariff stays, Ford will build the F100 alongside either the F150 or the Explorer on a frame closely related to these vehicles.

There may be plans in the works to do both, actually. One contingent on tariff removal, the other greenlighted and on its way.

Ford will not build the global Ranger in the U.S.

In that case, I hope the tariff stays. I think the global Ranger looks entire like poo compared the other midsize/compacts being sold here already. Hell, I think it looks worse than the CURRENT Ranger sold here.

he meant Explorer sharign frame with F150.

Igor

Igor,

This "lifestyle truck"...

Is this the Bronco we have been waiting for?

Igor,

This "lifestyle truck"...

Is this the Bronco we have been waiting for?

I doubt it ... it will be a SportTrack type truck. but may not be named Sport Track .. The future of Bronco is not sure - it is possible it was canned.

Igor