Ranger Speculation

BORG

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

may work for smaller type pickup obviously with Ranger like payloads...

May work functionally, but will it work cosmetically? Unit body "trucks" all end up just looking stupid and somewhat effeminate. I'd avoid buying one just for that reason alone. Even a lot of compact truck buyers buy them for their 'truckiness'.

Edited by NickF1011

Do you like sitting on the floor in the truck

Exactly how I felt in the S-10, The Colorado has a much higher more upright position.

and the sensation of having smething slap against your foot all he time

Not sure what you mean.

...that would kill the sale for me...does yours have the front style seats in the back that don't let you see in the back window?

No.

I'm not trying to argue..i just hate smal pickups of any kind...they are one of the most dangerous vehicles becuase of the roll over risk....and they feel cheap

Agreed, you can see the picture of my personal truck, most trucks feel cheap in comparison. As for roll over, I don't drive any truck like I used to drive my Mustang, Cuda, Corvette...

....but your riht...they really were a big improvement over the s10

Why doesn't Ford just put a longer wheelbase and bed on the Sport Trac? Duh?

That is really nice looking and a sensible solution to the current problem. Too bad they won't do it. I really hope Ford makes a decision on the Ranger soon. It would be a shame to have the Ranger just fade into oblivion.

It is funny how everyone points to Chevy to defend the abandonment of the Ranger. Toyota has proven if you treat a product correctly and make it good it sells extremly well and now Toyota dominates the small pick-up market, It is like Ford has given up everything and just handed Toyota all these segments they once dominated only to hold on to the F-150, which now Toyota is aiming at.

Instead of looking at the chevy, because there are so many mistakes, let's look the tacoma.

That is really nice looking and a sensible solution to the current problem. Too bad they won't do it. I really hope Ford makes a decision on the Ranger soon. It would be a shame to have the Ranger just fade into oblivion.

Actually, this is probably along the lines of what they are considering. The frame sections on the Sport Trac/Explorer from the firewall forward are very similar to the F-Series (or so I've heard).

If you replace the firewall/aft frame of the Explorer with a simpler and more rugged ladder type frame (with a conventional Hotchkiss rear), then bingo-bango, you've got yourself a pretty sturdy truck frame.

Blue II hinted at it...there are rumors the D3 might be able to be converted into RWD, which would also play into this becoming a Lifestyle pickup.

I keep thinking 'Ridgeline' when you say "Lifestyle" pickup.

Honestly, I don't think that is a bad-thing. What do you use your light truck for? There is some good ideas here, I hope something comes up soon.

Edited by Hugh

It is funny how everyone points to Chevy to defend the abandonment of the Ranger. Toyota has proven if you treat a product correctly and make it good it sells extremly well and now Toyota dominates the small pick-up market, It is like Ford has given up everything and just handed Toyota all these segments they once dominated only to hold on to the F-150, which now Toyota is aiming at.

Instead of looking at the chevy, because there are so many mistakes, let's look the tacoma.

Sad thing is, I'm willing to bet that if Ford put the resources into developing a class-leading new Ranger, it would steal the sales crown back from the Tacoma in one year.

What determines the 25% chicken tax? I believe that, for example, Trucks built in Mexico are exempt of this tax due to NAFTA.

In any case, from all the readings I've had regarding the Ranger my guess is that there will be one global Ranger from 2010, internally named the T6. Should be built in Thailand and Argentina for sure - maybe Mexico as well. Its being designed by Ford Australia and engineered by Mazda. If the US gets it or not, I really don't know, but as there sems to be a concensus on global product it should be offered.

I have seen the latest Thai Ranger, J97U, and the interior is the best I've seen from all the Asian 1 ton type trucks (better than Toyota, Nissan, Isuzu/GM and Mitsubishi). Its probably too small for the US, especially the rear seats (in the double cab) but all in all I find it a very nice 1 ton truck.

The plant in Argentina is currently pretty busy, but with one shift. Given the regional volume projections, it could easily produce around 80-100K units per year on 3 shifts.

I would be really surprised if the US gets an F100 based off the F150 instead of the T6 Ranger as a replacement to the current US Ranger...

What determines the 25% chicken tax? I believe that, for example, Trucks built in Mexico are exempt of this tax due to NAFTA.

In any case, from all the readings I've had regarding the Ranger my guess is that there will be one global Ranger from 2010, internally named the T6. Should be built in Thailand and Argentina for sure - maybe Mexico as well. Its being designed by Ford Australia and engineered by Mazda. If the US gets it or not, I really don't know, but as there sems to be a concensus on global product it should be offered.

I have seen the latest Thai Ranger, J97U, and the interior is the best I've seen from all the Asian 1 ton type trucks (better than Toyota, Nissan, Isuzu/GM and Mitsubishi). Its probably too small for the US, especially the rear seats (in the double cab) but all in all I find it a very nice 1 ton truck.

The plant in Argentina is currently pretty busy, but with one shift. Given the regional volume projections, it could easily produce around 80-100K units per year on 3 shifts.

I would be really surprised if the US gets an F100 based off the F150 instead of the T6 Ranger as a replacement to the current US Ranger...

If there's one segment where buyers in the US seem to be the most different from other buyers globally, it's trucks. The global Ranger would be 110% uncompetitive with the higher end midsize pickups on the market here. Globalizing only makes sense if you're bringing your global products to a similar market.

Why doesn't Ford just put a longer wheelbase and bed on the Sport Trac? Duh?

that was the plan ... change the IRS to SRA for better payload, make a single cab, and longer bed .. voila ..

however there will be no BOF Explorer after 2010 .. Explorer is going unit body - so this plan became a dead end. Therefore, Ford is working with the F150 chassis for a true small truck and will make a version of the ORE (on Road Explorer) with a bed for a lifestyle truck.

To be completely clear - neither of these has been green lighted yet - but they are under development.

Igor

that was the plan ... change the IRS to SRA for better payload, make a single cab, and longer bed .. voila ..

however there will be no BOF Explorer after 2010 .. Explorer is going unit body - so this plan became a dead end. Therefore, Ford is working with the F150 chassis for a true small truck and will make a version of the ORE (on Road Explorer) with a bed for a lifestyle truck.

To be completely clear - neither of these has been green lighted yet - but they are under development.

Igor

I like the concept of the Sport Trac based Ranger. Swapping out the IRS shouldn't be hard or expensive to do. The people I know who have Rangers love them because they are tough as nails. The current pricing makes them a bargain if you are not hung up on looks. I know a few guys who will admit to beating their Rangers silly and the little trucks just keep going and going.

I am not sure you will get the same result from a unit body Explorer off shoot.

Igor

This plan makes a lot of sense to me. Both the Tacoma and Frontier have weak areas when considered to be something of a truck - the current Ranger is still better in a good many ways especially if the idea is to use the vehicle as a truck. This divergence may explain to a large degree why the mid-sized trucks don't sell that well. Those that are available are weak except for the Ranger which is generally considered unrefined and uncomfortable.

If Ford were to build a smaller version of the F-150, I for one would be a buyer assuming it had a good V-8 option. People will surely be looking for less weight and better gas mileage in a vehicle that can tow a medium sized boat, haul some decent loads from Home Depot when needed and hold up over time doing those duties as is expected from a Ford truck.

The uni-body vehicle would take care of those that want something to haul smaller loads and are willing to sacrifice payload and towing capacity for efficiency in both price and fuel economy. I suspect this particular vehicle, if styled correctly with proper engine options, could become a strong niche vehicle.

I'm encouraged to think that Ford is thinking along these lines.

The Ranger was abandoned in light of low fuel costs driving people to the larger (and more profitable) F-150.

I think the Ranger can become relevant again in this era of volatile and ever-increasing gas prices. A GTDI and diesel F-150 can only go so far in terms of fuel economy. An F-100 built with F-150 mechanicals, smaller dimensions, and a 4-cylinder engine option can serve to both shore up F-Series sales, and create a small truck that doesn't exceed people's needs and spending capability.

The fragmentation of the Ranger line seems to fall in line with Ford's product strategy, smaller volumes across multiple products. One product can't fit all needs just by scalling options and prices. Flexible manufacturing makes 'niching' far more feasible for Ford. We've seen this with the (Taurus vs Fusion), (Edge vs Escape), (Taurus X vs Flex), (F-150 vs SuperDuty) and perhaps (F100 vs. "Lifestyle" Truck).

Edited by BORG

The Ranger was abandoned in light of low fuel costs driving people to the larger (and more profitable) F-150.

I think the Ranger can become relevant again in this era of volatile and ever-increasing gas prices.

Gee, you'd think Ford would have noticed gas prices going up over 5 years ago, but nah, I guess they figured it was just an anomoly. :finger:

Gee, you'd think Ford would have noticed gas prices going up over 5 years ago, but nah, I guess they figured it was just an anomoly. :finger:

They did, just didn't have enough money for it, since they where too busy trying to unfuck their mid-sized cars...

They knew the SUV market was going to die, just it happened faster then they expected.

If there's one segment where buyers in the US seem to be the most different from other buyers globally, it's trucks. The global Ranger would be 110% uncompetitive with the higher end midsize pickups on the market here. Globalizing only makes sense if you're bringing your global products to a similar market.

In full size trucks, clearly this is correct. As to compact trucks, I would contend that there aren't really ANY great products offered in America today. As per above the Toyota is too big, Ranger is ancient, Chevy is pretty much a weak contender all around...and just because US buyers have some differences in small trucks with the rest of the planet, doesn't mean a Mexican-produced variant will necessarily be uncompetitive.

If you take away pre-conceived notions of inferiority/unsuitability regarding Australian-designs, and Mazda engineering (the separation of the two is what confuses me?), there's no reason to think it won't work.

If you take away pre-conceived notions of inferiority/unsuitability regarding Australian-designs, and Mazda engineering (the separation of the two is what confuses me?), there's no reason to think it won't work.

Assuming they redesign the international Ranger again so it doesn't look like it was designed in 1992 and they give it an interior that's at least up to snuff with the F-150, then perhaps you are correct.

I know I'll get beat up for this, but again Ford Ranger sales have doubled elsewhere (http://www.carpages.co.uk/ford/ford-ranger-part-1-09-03-06.asp) and Ford has standardized the name pretty much globally now. It would be shockingly stupid to abandon the Ranger name in the US after changing Australia's small truck to match. There have been a lot of threads about the global small truck project (not BT-50), so I kind of doubt there isn't any kind of plan as of yet. If gas keeps going up competitive smaller trucks will become anything but a shrinking market.

The non-American model is a very different truck and very competitive.