We've Been Framed?!

Sooo, not too long ago there was a discussion on one of these forums comparing the fully-boxed frame on the F-150 to the boxed, reinforced and C-channel, hodge-podge underpinning the Tundra. I for one side with the fully-boxed camp. It just seems like a good idea. Now, everyone berating the Toyota's frame made good points. "It's weaker, it's flexy, it's flimsy." But what about the good ole' C-channel extension ladder the new 2008 Super Duties are built on? Why wouldn't Ford fully-box the Supers' frame, especially since they tout the F-150's as "the strongest in class?" Why isn't Ford following its own lead?

Discuss.

Sooo, not too long ago there was a discussion on one of these forums comparing the fully-boxed frame on the F-150 to the boxed, reinforced and C-channel, hodge-podge underpinning the Tundra. I for one side with the fully-boxed camp. It just seems like a good idea. Now, everyone berating the Toyota's frame made good points. "It's weaker, it's flexy, it's flimsy." But what about the good ole' C-channel extension ladder the new 2008 Super Duties are built on? Why wouldn't Ford fully-box the Supers' frame, especially since they tout the F-150's as "the strongest in class?" Why isn't Ford following its own lead?

Discuss.

Because the super duties have not gone through a full makeover..and have you seen the size of that frame...its heavy already....plus it may still be the strongest seeing that it can pull the most.

Why?

Fully boxed is equal in strength to a heavier gauge and taller 'C' channel.

With the SDs, work trucks all, step-in height isn't as much of an issue as it is with the F150. Also (going out on a limb) because 'C' channel is not as sturdy a cross-section as boxed, the frames are probably heavier (in order to provide a comparable amount of payload & towing). Again, with the SDs, this is probably not as much of an issue.

The front SD frame was reworked about three years ago, the back half with this generation.

Edited by RichardJensen

IIRC, The frame on the Tundra is divided in to three sections, the mid part under the cabin needs re work.

What's the bet, Toyota make a running change to this area and the Tundra passes the crash test?

It's all really a storm in a tea cup.

April 17, 2007.

Gallon of 85 Octane at metro detroit Sunoco: $2.85

Gallon of Diesel at same Sunoco: $2.97

Why do we still clog up these boards with talks about trucks?

Wait a month, who'll be buying these trucks? Not the kind of people that need the fully boxed frame...

April 17, 2007.

Wait a month, who'll be buying these trucks? Not the kind of people that need the fully boxed frame...

ummm... i will always own a truck, if gas reaches 5 dollars a gallon i will, i like them and i need them, i don't want to be cramped in a car unless it has the power for the sacrifice, i guess im a truck enthusiast, and no they will be buying little hybrids, ford can get good mpg out of their trucks, its just they have a lot of s*** on their hands right now, oh and i thought the F-150 is the best selling vehicle, i know that number is dropping, but other companies truck sales are rising, it used to be 3 something for gas and they still sold trucks

back to the topic, the superduties use a thicker frame, the F-150 is fully boxed so the material can be lighter yet still stronger, even though the F-150 is really heavy

There are people out there (Like myself), that don't really care about gas prices and is totally irrelevant. Because I own my own business, gas is one of the tax items that I expense. In fact, it's one of those things that if I pay a bit more, thats ok I welcome it... I need as many expenses as possible to offset all the gains. And for many who are contractors, ranchers, etc. they too are probably doing the same.

I believe that those truck buyers that will be impacted by it most probably dont' really NEED a truck...those who just need it for a few weekend runs to Home Depot, once in a blue moon. Those buyers' will probably buy something a bit more realistic, maybe a compact truck if anything. For the mommies in the big Expy's and Da-hoe's, probably will scale down a bit to Torah-Sex (Taurus X) or Acadia/Outlook, etc.

And then there are some people who live way out of their means, (the Food or gas? Buyers) and unfortunately for them it might be a wake-up call... Issue is, we've been thru this before many many months ago...so it's a repeat for them.

April 17, 2007.

85 Octane?? They actually sell that crap?? I wouldn't use that in a weedwhacker. What's the price on actual fuel people buy, 87 and 91 Octane?

A few pennies more a gallon for diesel isn't going to be breaking people's wallets or convince them NOT to buy diesel. Remember, any increase in cost-per-gallon that small is going to be offset by the increased fuel economy you get with one.

Edited by NickF1011

We still have a Citgo/7-11 near my office where they sell 5 different grades, including the 3 regulars, the others are 86 and 91 i believe. I dont know why they bother selling them. The few times i went there i always bought the 87.

We still have a Citgo/7-11 near my office where they sell 5 different grades, including the 3 regulars, the others are 86 and 91 i believe. I dont know why they bother selling them. The few times i went there i always bought the 87.

I thought all 7-11's were to stop selling Citgo? I stopped buying gas from Citgo last year.