Edmunds acknowledges the 2009 Fiesta

igor

Edmunds finally added the 2009 Fiesta among its "Future vehicles:

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/FVDP/...yleId=100863481

the piece contains absolute minimum information, practically nothing besides FWD, Gas only, and 1.5l I4 engine..

now all this can be simple placeholder .. however the interesting piece is .. Ford does not HAVE a 1.5l I4 .. they have a 1.4l and 1.6l ..

any info?

Current Zetec-Sigma Engines in Fiesta/EU Focus:

- 1.4 L (1388 cc) (76x76.5 mm), 80 hp at 5000 rpm and 90 ft.lbs at 3500 rpm

- 1.6 L (1595 cc) (79x81.4 mm), 100 hp at 6000 rpm and 104 ft.lbs at 4000 rpm

- 1.6l TiVCT (Twin Independent Variable Camshaft Timing) 116hp.

Igor

Edited by igor

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the 1.6, it's in my Focus and it's a good engine.

However it suffers from the Duratec long period of time to break-in.

Agree with you LincolnFan about the 1.6l. I have this engine in my 2002 EuroFocus wagon, getting just over 50mpg!

Regarding the new Fiesta here are a couple of pics (not offical) http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/images/front_...to_212252_5.jpg

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/images/front_...to_212251_5.jpg

and preliminary engine info I have read - Petrol-powered cars will come with a range of 1.3, 1.6 and 1.8-litre Duratec SCi engines, which feature direct injection for improved fuel economy. Two diesels will be available - a 1.4 and a 1.6-litre TDCi, which have been developed with Peugeot. It's thought both oil-burning units will employ the latest pollution-reducing particulate filters.

Shortly after the new model's launch, an ST-badged hot hatch will be unveiled. This is expected to be powered by a 170bhp 1.6-litre turbo­charged petrol engine, which features the same SCi technology.

No mention of 1.5l ??

Mazda does have a MZR 1.5l powerplant, which Ford used in the Festiva and Laser.

Edited by MKII

Agree with you LincolnFan about the 1.6l. I have this engine in my 2002 EuroFocus wagon, getting just over 50mpg!

Regarding the new Fiesta here are a couple of pics (not offical) http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/images/front_...to_212252_5.jpg

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/images/front_...to_212251_5.jpg

and preliminary engine info I have read - Petrol-powered cars will come with a range of 1.3, 1.6 and 1.8-litre Duratec SCi engines, which feature direct injection for improved fuel economy. Two diesels will be available - a 1.4 and a 1.6-litre TDCi, which have been developed with Peugeot. It's thought both oil-burning units will employ the latest pollution-reducing particulate filters.

Shortly after the new model's launch, an ST-badged hot hatch will be unveiled. This is expected to be powered by a 170bhp 1.6-litre turbo­charged petrol engine, which features the same SCi technology.

No mention of 1.5l ??

unfortunately, AutoExpress is notoriously unreliable ... however those chops do look awesome.

Igor

In February, the only engine scheduled for the US "B car" was the 1.6L Sigma. No DI, probably E85 capable.

Powershift 195(?) will be the automatic transmission.

that is good news .. that engine is rated for 35mpg combined with 5speed and 31mpg combined 4speed AUTO

100hp @ 6000rpm

107lb/ft @ 4000rpm

Igor

How is that good news? Ford's "B" car will get MPG on par with a Focus.

You would think with Ford taking their sweet time bringing it to market, they would actually bring a competitive product.

1) that is combined MPG ... so say 30mpg City, 40mpg HWY mileage by traditional US notation.

2) no B-car really is head and shoulders above C cars .. they are slightly better especially in city, but not much better

3) This is using New Zealand (Australia) Testing - For Example Toyota Yaris Sedan with 1.5l I4 and 4speed auto is rated there for 35mpg combined (38 with 5speed manual).

OK so it is not class leading ... here is to hoping Ford EU re-tunes and modifies the engine for the new generation to squeeze out the extra 2 mpg ... and be at least on par with the competition.

Igor

Weird, I average 34 MPG (Imperial). Does the 1.6 take long to break-in like the usual Duratecs?

I am @ 2460 KMs currently.

that is not that good .. but you have a much heavier car - the Focus .. - one reason the B's get better mileage is the lower weight of the car ..

Igor

OK ... not to post whore. but I figured it out ..

Ford has 2 choices for engines:

the Zetec Sigma (MZI) 1.6l DOHC I4

or

the Duratec (MZR) 1.5l DOHC I4

The MZI is used in the Fiesta, as well as some Mazdas, while the MZR is not used in the Fiesta, and only in the Mazdas.

The 1.6l MZI in the Fiesta makes 100hp and 107 ft/lbs and by AUS testing gets 35mpg 5speed manual, 31mpg 4speed auto.

the 1.5l MZR in the Demio makes 110hp and 104 ft/lbs and by AUS testing gets 37.6mpg with 5speed manual and 33.84mpg with 4speed auto.

I would prefer the 1.5l MZR ..especially as it is the newer one of the the two .. and it is more comparable with the other competition.

As stated above, the Yaris for example with its 1.5l and 5speed manual get 38mpg and 35mpg with the auto (using AUS testing).

Igor

Ford Fiesta

Fiesta heads off-road

We reveal Ford's amazing plan to boost its next small car range with a sensational new baby SUV

By Sam Hardy 28th March 2007

car_photo_215989_7.jpg

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/autoexpr...ord_fiesta.html

The Fiesta is moving into uncharted territory, Auto Express can exclusively reveal... by going off-road! And this chunky-looking machine will form a crucial part of Ford's all-new small car range, which is due to go on sale next year.

Small car sales are continuing to grow as buyers downsize, and Ford is also keen to reduce the overall CO2 emissions of its range in order to meet EU targets

It follows hot on the heels of another blue oval SUV - the Focus 4x4, which was confirmed for production at last September's Paris Motor Show. This has already been snapped by our spies undergoing winter testing.

Small car sales are continuing to grow as buyers downsize, and Ford is also keen to reduce the overall CO2 emissions of its range in order to meet EU targets. So bosses have decided the time is right to expand the Fiesta range with an off-roader.

...............................................................................................................................

At launch, the Fiesta SUV will be available with 1.3, 1.6 and 1.8-litre Duratec SCi petrol engines. These feature direct injection for improved economy. Diesel options will include the existing 1.4 and 1.6 TDCi units.

In future, even smaller capacity petrol and diesel turbos are likely. These will help Ford meet EU targets, which dictate that every car mak­er's model range should put out an aver-age of 130g/km of CO2 by 2012.

Ford chief technical officer Rich­ard Parry Jones told Auto Express: "We believe in a homogenous ap-proach, and will produce a range of different solutions to this challenge."

That will mean mild hybrids - which use regenerative braking to store wasted heat energy and also shut the engine down when the car is in traffic - as well as biofuels and lightweight body materials.

This technology will appear over the next couple of years, with the new Fiesta SUV arriving at the same time in around 2009.

Apparently there's a baby SUV (FWD only) coming as well. Info suggests current engine sizes but with direct injection.

For some strange reason The link doesn't work when copied.

Edited by jpd80

How is that good news? Ford's "B" car will get MPG on par with a Focus.

You would think with Ford taking their sweet time bringing it to market, they would actually bring a competitive product.

1) While the NZ testing cycle may be patterned after the EPA cycle, it should be remembered that the gallons referred to are Imperial gallons (used in NZ and--apparently--also in Israel) a unit of measurement 20% larger than the U.S. gallon.

Why is our gallon different? Because the Imperial gallon was adopted 48 years after the U.S. declared independence, and if we weren't going to adopt that crazy "Metric" system the French invented, we sure weren't going to be adopting some "Imperial" gallon.

Ergo, those numbers are 20% higher than they would be in U.S. terms--assuming that there's any compatibility between test regimens.

2) The U.S. gets the Fiesta about a year after Europe does. If you have a problem with that, take it up with your Congressman.

Edited by RichardJensen

1) While the NZ testing cycle may be patterned after the EPA cycle, it should be remembered that the gallons referred to are Imperial gallons (used in NZ and--apparently--also in Israel) a unit of measurement 20% larger than the U.S. gallon.

Why is our gallon different? Because the Imperial gallon was adopted 48 years after the U.S. declared independence, and if we weren't going to adopt that crazy "Metric" system the French invented, we sure weren't going to be adopting some "Imperial" gallon.

Ergo, those numbers are 20% higher than they would be in U.S. terms--assuming that there's any compatibility between test regimens.

2) The U.S. gets the Fiesta about a year after Europe does. If you have a problem with that, take it up with your Congressman.

Rest of the world is now metric, only US and maybe 4 other minor countries use imperial measurements.

It's only a matter of time now.

Rest of the world is now metric, only US and maybe 4 other minor countries use imperial measurements.

It's only a matter of time now.

"It's only a matter of time" HAHAHAHA!!!!!

You sound like the liberal government of the 70's here in Canada. They (the left wing bleeding heart liberal pukes) forced a number of things on the country like the metric system. The US was our largest trade partner and accounted for 78% of exports. The french "anti-american" politicians decided we should go metric because "eventually the world will be metric and the US will HAVE to change. 30 years later, the US accounts for around 90% of our exports and...we're metric and they are STILL imperial!

When a country the size of the states does business in english and with the american buck, others will adapt period.

It certainly cost a lot of jobs and was confusing at first.

Oh what else did the liberals force on us? How about bilingualism (yet only 23% are french) How about multiculteralism (which has proven to polarize and build a society of hyphen canadians who have no loyalty to canada) french-canadian, african-canadian, german-canadian, etc How about changing the immigration policies to limit europeans and allow more asians.(pierre trudeau 1972) How about..I guess I'm getting a bit off topic... :finger:

Pretty sad when a canadian is more pro US than some americans....

"It's only a matter of time" HAHAHAHA!!!!!

You sound like the liberal government of the 70's here in Canada. They (the left wing bleeding heart liberal pukes) forced a number of things on the country like the metric system. The US was our largest trade partner and accounted for 78% of exports. The french "anti-american" politicians decided we should go metric because "eventually the world will be metric and the US will HAVE to change. 30 years later, the US accounts for around 90% of our exports and...we're metric and they are STILL imperial!

When a country the size of the states does business in english and with the american buck, others will adapt period.

It certainly cost a lot of jobs and was confusing at first.

Oh what else did the liberals force on us? How about bilingualism (yet only 23% are french) How about multiculteralism (which has proven to polarize and build a society of hyphen canadians who have no loyalty to canada) french-canadian, african-canadian, german-canadian, etc How about changing the immigration policies to limit europeans and allow more asians.(pierre trudeau 1972) How about..I guess I'm getting a bit off topic... :finger:

Pretty sad when a canadian is more pro US than some americans....

If you don't like it there's nothing forcing you to stay...if theres something I like more than ford its Canada....and the metric system is head and shoulder over the imperial system...though I don't speak french I understand the reasons for bilingualism and multiculturalism...the reality is the US shoudl have switched when we did...imigration is Canada's future....we do not have a high enoguh birth rate to sustain our population, let alone grow it.