Edmunds acknowledges the 2009 Fiesta

igor

"It's only a matter of time" HAHAHAHA!!!!!

You sound like the liberal government of the 70's here in Canada. They (the left wing bleeding heart liberal pukes) forced a number of things on the country like the metric system. The US was our largest trade partner and accounted for 78% of exports. The french "anti-american" politicians decided we should go metric because "eventually the world will be metric and the US will HAVE to change. 30 years later, the US accounts for around 90% of our exports and...we're metric and they are STILL imperial!

When a country the size of the states does business in english and with the american buck, others will adapt period.

It certainly cost a lot of jobs and was confusing at first.

Oh what else did the liberals force on us? How about bilingualism (yet only 23% are french) How about multiculteralism (which has proven to polarize and build a society of hyphen canadians who have no loyalty to canada) french-canadian, african-canadian, german-canadian, etc How about changing the immigration policies to limit europeans and allow more asians.(pierre trudeau 1972) How about..I guess I'm getting a bit off topic... :finger:

Pretty sad when a canadian is more pro US than some americans....

Wrong country.

We switched the same time Canada did, no problems as our major trading partners in Asia and Europe were already metric.

Love the tirade by the way, your third language is obviously jibberish!

I bet your neighbours cop an earfull too!

No bites from Richard, he knows I'm a smart ass.

Thanks goinbroke2, you made my day, LOL

Edited by jpd80

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Imperial gallon is 25% larger.

Well, now, see that's where you're wrong.

By reference to the Liter, we discover this:

U.S. Gallon = 3.7854118

Imperial Gallon = 4.54609188 Liters

Take 1 - (4.54609188 / 3.7854118) and you get .20095, multiply that by 100, and you get.... wait for it ....

20.1%, give or take.

See, you figured that the OUNCES were the same, which is a pretty ridiculous assumption, given that the GALLONS are different.

"It's only a matter of time" HAHAHAHA!!!!!

You sound like the liberal government of the 70's here in Canada. They (the left wing bleeding heart liberal pukes) forced a number of things on the country like the metric system. The US was our largest trade partner and accounted for 78% of exports. The french "anti-american" politicians decided we should go metric because "eventually the world will be metric and the US will HAVE to change. 30 years later, the US accounts for around 90% of our exports and...we're metric and they are STILL imperial!

When a country the size of the states does business in english and with the american buck, others will adapt period.

It certainly cost a lot of jobs and was confusing at first.

Oh what else did the liberals force on us? How about bilingualism (yet only 23% are french) How about multiculteralism (which has proven to polarize and build a society of hyphen canadians who have no loyalty to canada) french-canadian, african-canadian, german-canadian, etc How about changing the immigration policies to limit europeans and allow more asians.(pierre trudeau 1972) How about..I guess I'm getting a bit off topic... :finger:

Pretty sad when a canadian is more pro US than some americans....

What do liberals have to do with the metric system? Have you ever even used the metric system? It's the language of all mathematics and science. In the medical field nothing is measured in inches or feet, everything is metric. Our current system is almost nonsensical once you learn the metric system. Everything in the metric system works in multiples of ten, it's the most obvious system imaginable. Then there's ours - 12in in a foot, 3 feet in a yard, 5,280 feet in a mile???? Now try metric - 10mm in 1cm, 100cm in a meter, 1000 meters in a kilometer, etc etc. We're clinging to the old system out of ridiculous stubborness, some sense of pride I just don't understand. What's to be proud about in a system that makes no sense? 8oz=1cup, 2 cups=1pint, 2pints=1quart, 4quarts=1gallon??? And then there's fluid ounces and ounces for weight that aren't equivalent? Can you see why science can't use this system? It's based on measurements from something like the middle ages that have no mathematic basis, time to move on.

What do liberals have to do with the metric system? Have you ever even used the metric system? It's the language of all mathematics and science. In the medical field nothing is measured in inches or feet, everything is metric. Our current system is almost nonsensical once you learn the metric system. Everything in the metric system works in multiples of ten, it's the most obvious system imaginable. Then there's ours - 12in in a foot, 3 feet in a yard, 5,280 feet in a mile???? Now try metric - 10mm in 1cm, 100cm in a meter, 1000 meters in a kilometer, etc etc. We're clinging to the old system out of ridiculous stubborness, some sense of pride I just don't understand. What's to be proud about in a system that makes no sense? 8oz=1cup, 2 cups=1pint, 2pints=1quart, 4quarts=1gallon??? And then there's fluid ounces and ounces for weight that aren't equivalent? Can you see why science can't use this system? It's based on measurements from something like the middle ages that have no mathematic basis, time to move on.

I couldn't have said it better myself.

Maybe Ford is indeed planning an new engine for the US Fiesta .. Theoldwizard .. do you know anything about it??

The 2009 US "B-car" will use the 1.6L Sigma RoCam built in Brazil.

The real "challenge" is going to be the PowerShift 175 dual-clutch automatic-manual similar to Volvo S40 dual-clutch.

While similar to the one used by Volvo, the PS175 has some significant differences to lower costs. There is lots of work to do on this project and I really question if Ford still has enough engineers left to finish it on time and on budget ! I know the engineering management does not have a realistic idea of how much work is still left.

Reminds me of the old 1960's films we would watch in elementary school in the 1980's where the narrator would be voicing over some pictures of generic scientists in white lab coats working busily on some unknown experiment. Naturally, the sound would never work right, so he'd often say something like "Bbbbby thuba yibbear 1980 thibby entire Unibed Stabes wibbill bbbbbee converbeted to the Metric System."

The 2009 US "B-car" will use the 1.6L Sigma RoCam built in Brazil.

The real "challenge" is going to be the PowerShift 175 dual-clutch automatic-manual similar to Volvo S40 dual-clutch.

While similar to the one used by Volvo, the PS175 has some significant differences to lower costs. There is lots of work to do on this project and I really question if Ford still has enough engineers left to finish it on time and on budget ! I know the engineering management does not have a realistic idea of how much work is still left.

The RoCam sounds like a shitty cheapass variation.

When did Ford fire most of their engineers?

The new Fiesta will look almost exactly the same in the U.S. as it will in Europe. It was signed off on before the decision was made to sell it here. Minor engineering changes, including a slightly longer nose, will be necessary to federalize the U.S. model, but it will be 'a kinetic-design car, absolutely,' says Smith.

So forget about Ford's sheer surfaces and rectangular three-bar chrome grille. Instead, the Fiesta will have a trapezoidal grille below the licence plate and pointy headlamps that run back to the front wheel arches. The vehicle will also feature pronounced wheel arches front and rear, an undercut crease beneath a strong side shoulder, a side-window graphic that kicks up strongly at the rear, and rounded rear glass.

So apart from a slightly longer nose, the Fiesta ia very close to its European brother.

Wasn't the Fivehundred's grille and lights more akin to the kinetic style now adopted globally?

1) that is combined MPG ... so say 30mpg City, 40mpg HWY mileage by traditional US notation.

2) no B-car really is head and shoulders above C cars .. they are slightly better especially in city, but not much better

3) This is using New Zealand (Australia) Testing - For Example Toyota Yaris Sedan with 1.5l I4 and 4speed auto is rated there for 35mpg combined (38 with 5speed manual).

OK so it is not class leading ... here is to hoping Ford EU re-tunes and modifies the engine for the new generation to squeeze out the extra 2 mpg ... and be at least on par with the competition.

Igor

what is interesting Igor is a gallon of gas is LARGER in New Zealand than the US gallon......THAT will scew the numbers to even worse figures....eeeek...I just saw someone had basically latched onto that already...alzheimers here i come....still...I think they need something a touch more impressive than 35 mpg......

Edited by Deanh

I think there is just some animosity with the old wizard and Ford...namely since he doesn't work there any more, they can't do anything without him

I was a very small cog in the big wheel of Product Development. After 30 years I know it takes a lot of bodies to accomplish what management wants.

However, when you have had 5 Department Managers, 3 Chief Engineers and 3 VP in less than 2 years, you loose faith that anyone really knows what is going on.

Actually I like to think I convinced one of the Chief Engineers to take the buy out last December after I had a "skip level" meeting with him. I explained how many of the recent decisions had added a huge amount of complexity to the engineering process. His response was "I didn't know that !" and "Why didn't the Managers tell me ?" The answer to that was "Because they don't understand it either ! Why didn't you ask your Technical Experts !!"

There are 5 new major "technologies" that still have not really left Research that are schedule for production in MY2009-10. The joke inside is this is a tsunami. No one is heading for the hills or even moving the the second floor. These technologies are key to various vehicle programs that I essential for the survival of FoMoCo.

I was a very small cog in the big wheel of Product Development. After 30 years I know it takes a lot of bodies to accomplish what management wants.

However, when you have had 5 Department Managers, 3 Chief Engineers and 3 VP in less than 2 years, you loose faith that anyone really knows what is going on.

Actually I like to think I convinced one of the Chief Engineers to take the buy out last December after I had a "skip level" meeting with him. I explained how many of the recent decisions had added a huge amount of complexity to the engineering process. His response was "I didn't know that !" and "Why didn't the Managers tell me ?" The answer to that was "Because they don't understand it either ! Why didn't you ask your Technical Experts !!"

There are 5 new major "technologies" that still have not really left Research that are schedule for production in MY2009-10. The joke inside is this is a tsunami. No one is heading for the hills or even moving the the second floor. These technologies are key to various vehicle programs that I essential for the survival of FoMoCo.

I can only assume you had to sign a gag order because I am curious as hell.....

You're either being overdramatic or it's really a jungle over there.

I am with mostly with the former.

not too sure about that Linc...I have been witness to a BUNCH of a$$-kissing upper management that are totally CLUELESS in comparison to the guys on the front line and in the midst of things....would not surprize me in the least....how many times have the beancounters saved a few dimes by nixing useful content? and TRUST me ...customers notice ( case in point dual sunvisors......POOF! all of a sudden GONE! )

Edited by Deanh

Well, that's the problem at Ford then.

Fire them ass kissers.

mullaley has given the Axe to a few already....and I think some of the secret handshake, boys clubs guys/ gals took their severence when they saw a red dot aimed at their foreheads or realized they were constantly looking over their shoulders.......

yes !

But I haven't said anything that you couldn't find in the "public domain" if you know where to look !

dammit...first hand is always easier....hopefully they will all see fruition and not be quashed by corporate BS and penny pinching...and good luck for the future...

You're either being overdramatic ...

I have been accused of that by many management types. Must be why my career advancement ended over 10 years ago.

Part of my signature at work was

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." George Bernard ShaW

I have been accused of that by many management types. Must be why my career advancement ended over 10 years ago.

Part of my signature at work was

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." George Bernard ShaW

when the ranks have more knowledge than their superiors it leads to said boss;s insecurity.....been there myself...makes them nervous makes YOU a target....

Edited by Deanh