What's wrong with this picture?

Jamers

And just who are you to judge someone elses logic? What makes you think that your condescending opinions are the only ones that are correct or should matter? If you want to disagree with what is said, fine. My statements were not a personal attack on you or anyone else, so there's no need to lash out and be insulating. Unless you have an uncontroled mental or emotion illness that prevents you from calmly interacting with others, lighten up bud.

I don't see how anything I wrote was a personal attack, more of a response to one of the most idiotic posts I have ever seen. Re-read what you wrote. You posted that shorter braking distances are "moot" to anyone who obeys the speed limit and implied that anyone who hits a deer or a car backing out of a driveway is speeding and irresponsible.

This is about facts, not opinions.

Fact- The Edge weighs less than an Explorer and is a newer design but takes significantly longer to stop

Fact- Roads are unpredictable. Not all hazards can be anticipated.

Fact- People have colllisions every day, many of them are travelling at or below the speed limit

Fact- Most states have raised the highway speed limit to 65. Some higher than that. Therefore 60-0 braking times are relevant even to law abiding citizens.

Fact- Shorter stopping distances at any speed have the potential to reduce the severity of accidents or entirely prevent some.

If you don't believe the magazine tests, fine. Find results you do trust and post them as rebuttal. To argue that shorter stopping distances are irrelevant is disingenuous at best.

If you did in fact intend your comment to be sarcastic, I agree that you should do something next time to show it. In the mean time, take your own advice and relax.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't see how anything I wrote was a personal attack, more of a response to one of the most idiotic posts I have ever seen. Re-read what you wrote. You posted that shorter braking distances are "moot" to anyone who obeys the speed limit and implied that anyone who hits a deer or a car backing out of a driveway is speeding and irresponsible.

Fact- The Edge weighs less than an Explorer and is a newer design but takes significantly longer to stop

Fact- People have colllisions every day, many of them are travelling at or below the speed limit

Fact- Most states have raised the highway speed limit to 65. Some higher than that. Therefore 60-0 braking times are relevant even to law abiding citizens.

Fact- Shorter stopping distances at any speed have the potential to reduce the severity of accidents or entirely prevent some.

If you don't believe the magazine tests, fine. Find results you do trust and post them as rebuttal. To argue that shorter stopping distances are irrelevant is disingenuous at best.

If you did in fact intend your comment to be sarcastic, I agree that you should do something next time to show it. In the mean time, take your own advice and relax.

You're obviously an angry person who doesn't get it. Do name calling and being an "expert" make you feel superior? Why can't you be calm and discuss things in a civil manner without refering to people's posts as idiotic? Are you somehow a perfect being, one without fault? I guess you think you are. Good luck in your little world.

If a person drives 60 mph on a road that deer frequent, they're being irresponsible and deserve to get into an accident.

Hmmm....guess I'll start driving 59 MPH on the INTERSTATE where the speed limit is 65, just on the off chance that a deer may make it past the fencing and jump in front of me.

You're obviously an angry person who doesn't get it. Do name calling and being an "expert" make you feel superior? Why can't you be calm and discuss things in a civil manner without refering to people's posts as idiotic? Are you somehow a perfect being, one without fault? I guess you think you are. Good luck in your little world.

I can't help but notice you still have not addressed any of my points. Your original statements are indefensible, so you throw a tantrum.

Stick to the subject at hand or bow out. Defend your original assertion that braking distances are "moot" if you can. Stop trying to change the subject to some imagined slight against you. If your skin is that thin, you best never leave the house.

How would you anticipate a deer darting into the path of your vehicle or a car backing out of a driveway into your lane of travel (or any other "unforseen emergency")? Hard braking is not always the result of driver inattention or a driver following another vehicle too closely.

First I would hit the deer! I will ask you how many other car could get stopped. Ask youself how many time has it happened to you that someone backs out in front of you doing 60mph? Please ask your self ? How many time do you have to brake from 60 to 0mph? I have drove over 3.5 million miles and have not once had this happen.

Come on get real not one car made can avoid this.

Edited by giddyup05

Hmmm....guess I'll start driving 59 MPH on the INTERSTATE where the speed limit is 65, just on the off chance that a deer may make it past the fencing and jump in front of me.

Ok, but if you consider this:

Explorer

**60-0 mph 125 ft

curb wt. 4531 lbs

You do realize that the brakes on a 1997 Cobra is rated 60-0 at 127' ? That's 2' more than an Explorer.

Maybe you'd better slow down. ;)

I have a good idea for this guy!!!!

If your looking at a Edge Stop!!!!

If you own one take it Back!!!!

Get in your old car and drive down and buy the perfect Car that does eveything you what it too. The have them you know??

NOT

Edited by giddyup05

I have a good idea for this guy!!!!

If your looking at a Edge Stop!!!!

If you own one take it Back!!!!

Get in your old car and drive down and buy the perfect Car that does eveything you what it too. The have them you know??

NOT

I really don't understand some of the Ford cheerleaders here. Are you so desperate to defend your beloved car company that you actually defend inferior braking performance? We're not talking about 0-60 times or how good the stereo sounds here. You can dismiss most of the other criticisms if you want, but braking is not a subjective criteria. The Edge looks like a good vehicle overall, but the braking performance is lacking. The numbers don't lie.

The damn Chrysler Pacifica which has been on the market for years stops in 135 feet from 60 mph. Ford couldn't at least MATCH the Pacifica? Hell, the Pacifica weighs even more than the Explorer! Are you honestly telling me that you think Ford made its best effort on the Edge's brakes? Is it your position that Ford should make no changes to the brakes on this vehicle?

I don't expect the Edge or any other vehicle to be perfect. That does not mean I will not point out areas for improvement. As far as a car doing everything I want it to, yes I'm very hard to please. I demand that a vehicle stop well. I'm funny that way. I guess you don't care how well your car stops. Just make sure it has plenty of horsepower. I'm sure it will stop eventually.

As a Ford vehicle owner and stockholder, I can only hope that Mulally is purging the people in Ford management that share your head-in-the-sand view of things.

Darn.. you sound a lot like Jamers.

I think all the boys here are telling you - is that Ford is aware of the critique and measures have been taken. I drive one.. and I had a panic stop... and it did stop.. and I know I didn't have the distance mentioned. My Edge was produced in May - well after all the critiques were out.

Maybe these "auto experts" should retest a current production vehicle. For now... could you please let it alone until 2008s are out.. afterall.. till then there is nothing any of us can do.

just an FYI - a CY Civic takes 191ft to stop... as per my research and check out the July 2007 issue of Modified Mustangs posted by another poster - it claimed the Edge stopped brilliantly....

I think all the boys here are telling you - is that Ford is aware of the critique and measures have been taken. I drive one.. and I had a panic stop... and it did stop.. and I know I didn't have the distance mentioned. My Edge was produced in May - well after all the critiques were out.

Maybe these "auto experts" should retest a current production vehicle. For now... could you please let it alone until 2008s are out.. afterall.. till then there is nothing any of us can do.

just an FYI - a CY Civic takes 191ft to stop... as per my research and check out the July 2007 issue of Modified Mustangs posted by another poster - it claimed the Edge stopped brilliantly....

If I sound like Jamers it's because I agree with him. I appreciate what you're saying, but read some of these posts more closely. Several people here are claiming that stopping distances are not important, not that Ford is fixing it. I have no doubt that the edge stops, but wouldn't you rather it had more in reserve for an emergency. Particularly so when Ford's own Explorer is heavier and stops significantly better. If it's the tires, then Ford made a poor choice in tires. I don't care if a harder compound gives slightly better fuel economy if it's at the expense of braking.

As far as the Civic goes, I really couldn't care less. If Honda loses some sales due to crap brakes it's fine with me. Hopefully some Civic buyers will consider a Focus (I won't hold my breath, though.) My concern is that Ford didn't do the best job they could. What is a better selling point to you? The Edge leads its class in braking or The Edge stops OK? Why should such an important vehicle have been launced with such mediocre brakes.

Modified Mustangs may have claimed thet the Edge stopped, "brilliantly", but what does that mean? Does the Explorer stop, "super, duper brilliantly?" Without actual objective data, their statement is meaningless to me.

I am glad you like your Edge and I hope many other do. I may be somewhat unique, but I consider things like crash test results and braking performance when buying a car. I will not buy one that does not meet my expectations. We are currently in the market for a new family hauler. I like the Freestyle/Taurus X but the wife hates it. She would consider the Edge, but until Ford does something about the brakes, I have to veto it. Unless Ford moves fast on this issue, we won't be buying one this go around.

I read all the info available on the Edge before buying - and I read about the brakes. My brother is at OAC - and I asked him - what about the brakes? He said not to worry - in day to day usual driving it isn't as big an issue.

I interprete this as - as long as you are a defensive driver - as most of us should be - the need for the 60-0 panic stop is minimalized. I also trust my abilities as driver to handle panic situations.

I feel completely safe in my Edge - I came from driving a sporty coupe - which was a much less safer vehicle. To each their own, I can respect your position. When you are ready and satisfied with the safety - I sure hope you get an Edge - it truly is a great vehicle to drive - I am truly impressed with it.

I don't regret for a single moment that I gave up my Toyota... and I LOVED my Toyota...

and I LOVE my Edge even more.

Edited by Edgy Girl

If I sound like Jamers it's because I agree with him. I appreciate what you're saying, but read some of these posts more closely. Several people here are claiming that stopping distances are not important, not that Ford is fixing it. I have no doubt that the edge stops, but wouldn't you rather it had more in reserve for an emergency. Particularly so when Ford's own Explorer is heavier and stops significantly better. If it's the tires, then Ford made a poor choice in tires. I don't care if a harder compound gives slightly better fuel economy if it's at the expense of braking.

As far as the Civic goes, I really couldn't care less. If Honda loses some sales due to crap brakes it's fine with me. Hopefully some Civic buyers will consider a Focus (I won't hold my breath, though.) My concern is that Ford didn't do the best job they could. What is a better selling point to you? The Edge leads its class in braking or The Edge stops OK? Why should such an important vehicle have been launced with such mediocre brakes.

Modified Mustangs may have claimed thet the Edge stopped, "brilliantly", but what does that mean? Does the Explorer stop, "super, duper brilliantly?" Without actual objective data, their statement is meaningless to me.

I am glad you like your Edge and I hope many other do. I may be somewhat unique, but I consider things like crash test results and braking performance when buying a car. I will not buy one that does not meet my expectations. We are currently in the market for a new family hauler. I like the Freestyle/Taurus X but the wife hates it. She would consider the Edge, but until Ford does something about the brakes, I have to veto it. Unless Ford moves fast on this issue, we won't be buying one this go around.

I just can't understand you!! If your so unhappy about the Edge brakes without owning one, buy something else.

I fell my wife and kids are in a very safe and well braking Car.

PS I am also a stockholder and own 5 Ford built cars and Trucks even 6.0L that every one said was a bad motor but I have over 230000 on my first and have had ZERO problems.

So again! I will say Please just buy something else!! Your Blood pressure is getting to high.

Your brother works for Ford, and you bought a Toyota? :redcard:

For shame...... :stirpot:

The year was 2001 - young professional single woman in her early 30s - can you recall a model back then that I would drive...hmmm.. Mercury Cougar? Ya right.. cramped back seat and only slightly less $$ than the toyota.

2nd choice? Freestar NOT, Focus - I did my cheap car stage with a 1995 Grand AM,

Now there was the Thunderbird - too much $$ - not good for the Cdn winter.

So basically - I did look at the line up.. nothing!!! So.. I went with my heart and bought my Toyota - loaded - sweet car - and at that time - made in Ontario

Fast Forward 6 years - Edge is a modern funky crossover - made for my demographic...

Ford did learn something in 6 years.

Edited by Edgy Girl

I just can't understand you!! If your so unhappy about the Edge brakes without owning one, buy something else.

I fell my wife and kids are in a very safe and well braking Car.

PS I am also a stockholder and own 5 Ford built cars and Trucks even 6.0L that every one said was a bad motor but I have over 230000 on my first and have had ZERO problems.

So again! I will say Please just buy something else!! Your Blood pressure is getting to high.

Don't worry about me, I will most likely buy something else as I have already stated. Saturn Outlook looks pretty good and it stops from 60 in 135 feet. Not too shabby. Might look at the CX-9 (136 foot 60-0) but I don't care much for the local Mazda dealer. It would really have to wow both of us to get me to overlook the dealer. Of course a new Murano is coming out so who knows? I prefer to buy domestic vehicles, but in the end I will buy the vehicle that best meets my needs. Ford and GM spend plenty of money buying parts and services from foreign companies, so why shouldn't I?

If you're going to worry about something, worry about your stock price. I would sure like to see mine looking more robust. If someone like me, who WANTS to buy a Ford is going to pass because of this I have no doubt that a brand neutral buyer will do the same. Maybe no one else cares about this issue. Maybe they do. Regardless, the Edge is far too important to Ford's turnaround to do things halfassed. It is selling fairly well right now, but the competition is getting much fiercer.

I'm glad you like your Edge so much. Maybe you should buy a couple more since it is the pinnacle of automotive engineering and could not possibly be improved upon.

Guys....Metro Detroit streets are flooded with Edge and MKX. They stop fine. It ain't no Car and Driver test track out here. Just give yourself nice space cushion like in any vehicle, and brakes work fine. Don't forget total stopping distance and remember we don't drive on test track, but real life streets. I second Edgy girl in asking you guys to drop it. Most arguing don't own one and will never own one. Easy to read between the lines to figure that out. Some of you guys are too frickin anal IMO or for some reason like to worry over things that are inconsequential. Makes one wonder how you are going to do when you have something really serious to worry about.

I read all the info available on the Edge before buying - and I read about the brakes. My brother is at OAC - and I asked him - what about the brakes? He said not to worry - in day to day usual driving it isn't as big an issue.

I interprete this as - as long as you are a defensive driver - as most of us should be - the need for the 60-0 panic stop is minimalized. I also trust my abilities as driver to handle panic situations.

I feel completely safe in my Edge - I came from driving a sporty coupe - which was a much less safer vehicle. To each their own, I can respect your position. When you are ready and satisfied with the safety - I sure hope you get an Edge - it truly is a great vehicle to drive - I am truly impressed with it.

I don't regret for a single moment that I gave up my Toyota... and I LOVED my Toyota...

and I LOVE my Edge even more.

I agree, the Edge is a nice vehicle. I can understand why you are so taken with yours and I wish you good luck with it.

I doubt we will wait for an improved Edge, especially since I have not heard that Ford even acknowledges this issue. Believe it or not, we both really like the Pacifica, but I hate to buy new cars that are close to the end of their lifecycle. I did that once with a '99 Sable and then regretted not waiting for the '00 which was much better looking and had a vastly superior interior.

Don't worry about me, I will most likely buy something else as I have already stated. Saturn Outlook looks pretty good and it stops from 60 in 135 feet. Not too shabby. Might look at the CX-9 (136 foot 60-0) but I don't care much for the local Mazda dealer. It would really have to wow both of us to get me to overlook the dealer. Of course a new Murano is coming out so who knows? I prefer to buy domestic vehicles, but in the end I will buy the vehicle that best meets my needs. Ford and GM spend plenty of money buying parts and services from foreign companies, so why shouldn't I?

If you're going to worry about something, worry about your stock price. I would sure like to see mine looking more robust. If someone like me, who WANTS to buy a Ford is going to pass because of this I have no doubt that a brand neutral buyer will do the same. Maybe no one else cares about this issue. Maybe they do. Regardless, the Edge is far too important to Ford's turnaround to do things halfassed. It is selling fairly well right now, but the competition is getting much fiercer.

I'm glad you like your Edge so much. Maybe you should buy a couple more since it is the pinnacle of automotive engineering and could not possibly be improved upon.

[/quote/

Wow....maybe better to worry about all the crazies driving out there who don't maintain their vehicle and drive with hardly any tread, brake linings worn down to near metal, and stress fatigued suspension parts. They are everywhere out there and probably tailgating to boot. But instead, you would rather worry about brand new vehicles. Btw, I have checked out the Murano and it needs a boat load of improvements. Ditto for Highlander. The Edge and especially the MKX trumps both of them IMO.

Wow....maybe better to worry about all the crazies driving out there who don't maintain their vehicle and drive with hardly any tread, brake linings worn down to near metal, and stress fatigued suspension parts. They are everywhere out there and probably tailgating to boot. But instead, you would rather worry about brand new vehicles. Btw, I have checked out the Murano and it needs a boat load of improvements. Ditto for Highlander. The Edge and especially the MKX trumps both of them IMO.

You're making my point for me. No matter how careful and law-abiding you are behind the wheel, there are far too many others who are a great danger. When some horse's ass with no brake lights slams on his brakes on the highway because he missed his exit I want my wife to have every advantage she needs to avoid an accident. Same for the guy who decides to turn left in front of her with no signal on. Just last week a woman hit a 500lb Moose on the Merrritt Parkway in CT and is badly injured. Not sure 20' shorter stopping distance would have changed anything, but it sure wouldn't have hurt. Who knows, she might have been able to walk away. Due to all the unpredictable dangers on the road, it makes sense to minimize the risks. Better brakes do just that. I can't control what or how other people drive, only what I do. I buckle up because of the other drivers, not because of myself.

How did you check out the all-new Murano or Highlander? Were they at an auto show or something? I was not aware that they were available to the public yet. Or are you talking about the current, lame-duck models? If so, I would certainly hope the Edge is better. Both the Nissan and Toyota have been around for years. Oddly enough, both stop better than the Edge.

just an FYI - a CY Civic takes 191ft to stop...

Link? The only stats I could find were on the Si (133 feet) and previous models (124 feet).

It is slightly worrying that 142 is the good number -- other places are reporting 151 and 160.

But hey, in a couple months, it's supposed to be fixed.

You're making my point for me. No matter how careful and law-abiding you are behind the wheel, there are far too many others who are a great danger. When some horse's ass with no brake lights slams on his brakes on the highway because he missed his exit I want my wife to have every advantage she needs to avoid an accident. Same for the guy who decides to turn left in front of her with no signal on. Just last week a woman hit a 500lb Moose on the Merrritt Parkway in CT and is badly injured. Not sure 20' shorter stopping distance would have changed anything, but it sure wouldn't have hurt. Who knows, she might have been able to walk away. Due to all the unpredictable dangers on the road, it makes sense to minimize the risks. Better brakes do just that. I can't control what or how other people drive, only what I do. I buckle up because of the other drivers, not because of myself.

How did you check out the all-new Murano or Highlander? Were they at an auto show or something? I was not aware that they were available to the public yet. Or are you talking about the current, lame-duck models? If so, I would certainly hope the Edge is better. Both the Nissan and Toyota have been around for years. Oddly enough, both stop better than the Edge.

Quote from Car and Driver

Although results of the lane-change test don't really reflect it, the Murano was the most athletic player in the neither-nor derby, and its abundant grip, plus generous vented rotors at all four corners, conspired to give the Nissan by far the best stopping distance of the group—166 feet from 70 mph. That's sports-car braking, and it makes the Pilot's 195-foot stopping performance look pallid.

Do Ihear you saying the Murano stops better?

Although results of the lane-change test don't really reflect it, the Murano was the most athletic player in the neither-nor derby, and its abundant grip, plus generous vented rotors at all four corners, conspired to give the Nissan by far the best stopping distance of the group—166 feet from 70 mph. That's sports-car braking, and it makes the Pilot's 195-foot stopping performance look pallid.

70-0 is a not the same as 60-0

Kinetic energy = 1/2 mv2

K1 = 1/2 * m * 4900

K2 = 1/2 * m * 3600

K1/K2 = 4900/3600 = 1.36 -- so at 70 miles an hour you have 36% more energy than at 60 miles an hour. IF braking translates directly (that's a big if;I don't know), then 166 feet in a 70-0 test would translate to a 127.7 foot 60-0.

As Mr. Harbinger pointes out so well, you have to compare apples to apples. Or maybe you would think it fair if I compared the Edge's 0-60 acceleration times with the Murano's 0-50?

For the record, the Murano comes to a stop in 124 feet from 60. Yeah, I would say the Murano stops better.

70-0 is a not the same as 60-0

Kinetic energy = 1/2 mv2

K1 = 1/2 * m * 4900

K2 = 1/2 * m * 3600

K1/K2 = 4900/3600 = 1.36 -- so at 70 miles an hour you have 36% more energy than at 60 miles an hour. IF braking translates directly (that's a big if;I don't know), then 166 feet in a 70-0 test would translate to a 127.7 foot 60-0.

:idea: Your Good, You both should go to work at Ford. You guys could both sit at the table with the clay model's and do a brake test.

UPDATED: 7:48 am HST February 5, 2007

Email This Story | Print This Story

WASHINGTON -- The 2007 Ford Fusion midsize sedan and the 2007 Ford Edge SUV received top scores in front- and side-impact crash testing by the insurance industry.

The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety said the Edge, which has the same underpinnings as the Lincoln MKX, also earned its top rating for rear-crash protection.

"The criteria to win Top Safety Pick are tough," said Institute President Adrian Lund. "This award is intended to drive continued safety improvements such as the highest crash test ratings and the rapid addition of electronic stability control as standard equipment. Recognizing the winners also helps consumers distinguish vehicles with the best overall ratings without having to sort through multiple crash test results."

The crossover vehicles received the Institute's Top Safety Pick award, which recognizes vehicles that provide the best overall crash protection. The award applies to Edge and MKX vehicles made after January 2007 because Ford upgraded head restraints to improve rear-crash protection.

Ford made changes to improve the Fusion's ability to withstand front and side crashes, and new institute testing gave it top scores of "good" in both scenarios.

The Fusion, which has the same underpinnings as the Mercury Milan and Lincoln MKZ, received a "marginal" rating in rear protection.

Initially only 13 cars, minivans, and SUVs qualified for 2007 awards. As automakers introduce new models or make safety changes to existing ones, the Institute adds Top Safety Pick winners throughout the year. With the addition of the Edge and MKX, consumers now may choose among nine SUVs offering superior crash protection.

I guess Ford did something right!!

You can't be everything to every body, I know that when my wife drive her new Edge she is safe.

Last post for this thread\.

PS If my wife hit's a deer or if someone backs out when she doing 60 and can't stop, I will post the pictures.

Happy shopping for the perfect car.

UPDATED: 7:48 am HST February 5, 2007

I guess Ford did something right!!

You can't be everything to every body, I know that when my wife drive her new Edge she is safe.

Last post for this thread\.

PS If my wife hit's a deer or if someone backs out when she doing 60 and can't stop, I will post the pictures.

Happy shopping for the perfect car.

No one has said the the Edge is not crashworthy. I'm glad it is, as it should be. Too bad Ford didn't put a little more effort into increasing its ability to AVOID a collision. It doesn't have to be an either/or proposition. Stop chugging the Ford Kool-Ade and you might be able to admit that.