What's wrong with this picture?

Jamers

Edge

*60-0 mph 146 ft

curb wt. 4073 lbs

Explorer

**60-0 mph 125 ft

curb wt. 4531 lbs

Do the math. The Edge is 458 lbs lighter and takes 21 ft longer to come to a stop. That's about 2 cars lengths. Ford better address this problem in the 2008 model or they may lose my business.

* http://www.mpt.org/motorweek/reviews/rt2619b.shtml

** http://www.mpt.org/motorweek/reviews/rt2515a.shtml

Edited by Jamers

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fix is on the way according to insiders, for MY08.

I already heard about the tire change for the '08 but can tires really make up for 21 ft disparity? I want something more substantive. Like bigger rotors, better pads, and better master cylinder.

I already heard about the tire change for the '08 but can tires really make up for 21 ft disparity? I want something more substantive. Like bigger rotors, better pads, and better master cylinder.

Have you actually SEEN the size of the rotors and calipers? Can't get much larger unless you want rotors bigger than your rims.

Leave the engineering to the engineers, because you obviously don't know what you're talking about.

Better master cylinder.... :finger:

Go find some old bias plys for your car and tell me it doesn't stop worse afterward. :hysterical:

OK guys, I'm not saying better tires wouldn't help. And I not saying the extended braking distance is necessarily the braking system itself. But something is the culprit here? Can someone please tell me why this thing can't stop in the same or less distance then a Ford Explorer? Especially given it's nearly 1/4 ton less weight. Is that too much to ask?

And by the way, didn't anyone from Ford test the stopping distance before committing to these tires and final production?

Edited by Jamers

Have you considered that Motorweek's findings may be flawed?

Well Edmunds 60-0 was 158ft...

Road and Track 60-0 was 151ft

MotorTrend was 60-0 was 146ft...

See a pattern forming???

I drove a MKX with aftermarket performance tires today. I can say with 100% certianty. IT IS NOT JUST THE TIRES....

I think it is a combo of soft shocks/springs and over agressive ABS tuning. This thing could really use a set of variable rate compression shocks/springs.

• 2 weeks later...
Here is the url to the 2008 Fleet Sales Showroom.

https://www.fleet.ford.com/showroom/2008fle...om/2008-MKX.asp

Not a lot of data on the 2008 but the 3.7 liter V6 isn't going to make 2008.

The Ford Sync™ voice-activated communications and entertainment system, optional** made it and the standard SIRIUS Satellite Radio.

:stats:

I thought we all pretty much knew that the 3.7 wouldn't be out until '09 already? That was why I found it a little odd that they are apparently putting the 3.5 into the Milan for '08.

I thought I read somewhere that the 3.7 l was going to be a Lincoln exclusive even beyond the first year.

In cars it is likely the 3.7 will remain Lincoln-exclusive, except perhaps the Mustang on the Ford side. SUV's and trucks are both likely going to use the 3.7 though. There's always the possibility of a "high content" version that could remain exclusive to the Lincoln side with direction injection and such other little goodies.

• 3 weeks later...
Edge

*60-0 mph 146 ft

curb wt. 4073 lbs

Explorer

**60-0 mph 125 ft

curb wt. 4531 lbs

Do the math. The Edge is 458 lbs lighter and takes 21 ft longer to come to a stop. That's about 2 cars lengths. Ford better address this problem in the 2008 model or they may lose my business.

* http://www.mpt.org/motorweek/reviews/rt2619b.shtml

** http://www.mpt.org/motorweek/reviews/rt2515a.shtml

In the first place if you pay attention to your driving and not follow so close you won't need to stop that fast. I have tested many car and truck before and in our new Edge I find that the braking is great, if anything could say need some improvment would be, the brake boost should be increased.

I just get pissed when some of one people just keep on bashing Ford. Ford has some great cars and trucks out in the market and not all are going to be perfect the way you want.

In the first place if you pay attention to your driving and not follow so close you won't need to stop that fast. I have tested many car and truck before and in our new Edge I find that the braking is great, if anything could say need some improvment would be, the brake boost should be increased.

I just get pissed when some of one people just keep on bashing Ford. Ford has some great cars and trucks out in the market and not all are going to be perfect the way you want.

How would you anticipate a deer darting into the path of your vehicle or a car backing out of a driveway into your lane of travel (or any other "unforseen emergency")? Hard braking is not always the result of driver inattention or a driver following another vehicle too closely.

Edited by 1999 White C5 Coupe

How would you anticipate a deer darting into the path of your vehicle or a car backing out of a driveway into your lane of travel (or any other "unforseen emergency")? Hard braking is not always the result of driver inattention or a driver following another vehicle too closely.

If a deer darts in front of you the extra 20' won't make any difference. Unless you're driving towards a cliff the only time it will make a difference is if you have more than 125 ft but less than 146 ft to stop and totally avoid a collision as opposed to having a minor fender bender.

You people act like it's life or death. It's not.

Some one please post that Mustang Mag article for July 2007 - where it stated the brakes worked extremely well... PLEASSSSSSSSSSSSSSEEE!!!!!

I have driven my Edge for over 1 month now - in stop and go traffic at rush hour - and the damn friggin brakes work FINE.

Take that axe you have to grind to some other foreign carmaker forum..

Edited by Edgy Girl

Sounds like Donat R. Leclair, Chief Financial Officer of Ford talking to the Engineers. :shades:

If a person drives 60 mph on a road that deer frequent, they're being irresponsible and deserve to get into an accident. The same applies to people who drive 60 mph down a street with driveways. Anyway, the 0-60 stopping distance is a moot point for people who obey the law and drive the (55mph) speed limit.

If a person drives 60 mph on a road that deer frequent, they're being irresponsible and deserve to get into an accident. The same applies to people who drive 60 mph down a street with driveways. Anyway, the 0-60 stopping distance is a moot point for people who obey the law and drive the (55mph) speed limit.

Boy, that's some clear reasoning. By your logic, seat belts are also irrelevant since there is no way a responsible, law-abiding driver could ever be involved in a collision. :rolleyes:

I'm not sure if you are aware of this, but better stopping distances from 60 usually means better stopping distance from 30. I guess you never drive donw a road with driveways doing 30. I can only guess that where you live, none of the highways have on/exit ramps and no one ever cuts into your lane. You've probably never come across some jackass backing up on the highway because they missed their exit.

Get real. It's one thing to defend Ford on the subjective issues but this is a safety issue. There is no excuse for this vehicle to perform worse than an Explorer. If the test nunbers are suspect, find and post some that are vastly better.

Edited by Keyser Soze

Please DaveW... :stirpot: do not send in your resume to the Yellow Cab company.... I just don't think they will hire you after reading your reply. :hysterical:

From the July issue of Modified Mustangs

The brakes are one area we should mention - for a vehicle of this size and weight, they are truly outstanding. Panic stops result in minimal drama. Hit the pedal the the Edge just stops - right now. There's no weaving, no pronounced front end nose bleed type diving - the anchors just haul the big Ford to a grinding halt and quickly. Brillant.

Boy, that's some clear reasoning. By your logic, seat belts are also irrelevant since there is no way a responsible, law-abiding driver could ever be involved in a collision. :rolleyes:

I'm not sure if you are aware of this, but better stopping distances from 60 usually means better stopping distance from 30. I guess you never drive donw a road with driveways doing 30. I can only guess that where you live, none of the highways have on/exit ramps and no one ever cuts into your lane. You've probably never come across some jackass backing up on the highway because they missed their exit.

Get real. It's one thing to defend Ford on the subjective issues but this is a safety issue. There is no excuse for this vehicle to perform worse than an Explorer. If the test nunbers are suspect, find and post some that are vastly better.

And just who are you to judge someone elses logic? What makes you think that your condescending opinions are the only ones that are correct or should matter? If you want to disagree with what is said, fine. My statements were not a personal attack on you or anyone else, so there's no need to lash out and be insulating. Unless you have an uncontroled mental or emotion illness that prevents you from calmly interacting with others, lighten up bud.

Please DaveW... :stirpot: do not send in your resume to the Yellow Cab company.... I just don't think they will hire you after reading your reply. :hysterical:

Just trying to do a tounge in check debunk some of the babble. In order to prevent :fan: , I should have loaded up on the Emoticons to get that across. I amazes me how many people will flip their lids and launch by reading into something that's not there.