Mercury getting Taurus X version?

FordBuyer

I was going by the Livonial Transmission parking lot today where they have special section for preproduction vehicles parked that undergo real world testing. In the parking lot for anyone off of Levan to see sits a Taurus X look alike with Mercury grill and Mercury taillights. Anyone heard about Mercury getting version which I was surprised to see sitting there since I had heard Ford ended plan to bring out Mercury version couple years ago. This was a finished preproduction Mercury version with no disguise on it. Just a Taurus X with Mercury styling cues. Interesting.

Mike

I really liked the Meta One prototype, I didnt understand why Ford dropped the Mercury version, IMO it looked better than the Freestyle

The Meta One was very nice. It looked better than the Freestyle and the Taurus X.

Agreed. I'd put the Meta One even above the 427 and Forty Nine as far as dropped balls on Ford's part. They had a real opportunity with that design language.

Ford is getting quite a reputation for flaunting it's low hangers...

The Meta One transformed that very unexciting Freestyle look into something much more appealing with very little changes to fascias and small areas of sheetmetal detail. That front end look also ties in well with the Fusion but also the Mountaineer. It baffles me that it was not used along with a similarly styled tied-in look for the new Taurus. The Fusion front end with the headlamp shape and orientation is a very much stronger look than the recycled Tempo look.

As it is now, the look of the Taurus X is more in line with the evolution of other Ford truck designs while a Mercury version would probably pick up the look of the Milan/Sable. What doesn't make sense is if they are going to keep Mercury, it would have been a low investment no-brainer to offer a version of the Taurus X to give the L-M showroom an alternative to a Mountaineer and Lincoln MKX. As it is now we have Ford with the Taurus X, Edge, Flex and Explorer all competing in the same showroom. I would have left the Taurus X out and given it to Mercury...

Edited by Watchdevil

The Mercury version was canceled but they still kept the mules for testing. Mercury is being phased out.

Too bad because the Sable X sitting in Livonia Trans parking lot looks more like finished product than test mule. It looks like it just came out of factory ready to go to dealership. I didn't know they made any. Merucy could have used that vehicle. Looks just like the Taurus X except for grill and taillights. Sable needs a CUV version just like Tauru already has. :shades:

It does seem a little ridiculous that Mercury, a brand being marketed blatantly towards women, does not have a more significant selection of CUV's. The Mariner is good, but they need something bigger and sexier. Granted, having an Edge/MKX clone wouldn't make sense with the MKX being sold right next to it, and there's hardly anything "sexy" about the boring and mundane Freestyle/X so I guess that's why there's no Mercury CUV. It just seems like they're missing the boat by offering the Mountaineer when women are clamoring for car-based utilities.