The Financial times: Volvo is for sale.....

TStag

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Meh. Just tell everyone that Australia is practicing 'reverse transportation', the least desirable citizens are being shipped out....

Thankfully we have some good actors to make up for that,

Russel Crowe (Phone thrower), Hugh Jackman (Wolverine), Heath Ledger, Anthony Lapaglia, Eric Banna (Hulk), Kate Blanchette, Nicole Kidman

On Volvo,

I seriously doubt Ford will break up PAG after the excellent 2007 Q1 profit, I'm betting the go 2 for 2 with Q2.

BMW could also buy the intellectual property from Ford, and develop C1 and EUCD in their own way.

In either case, Volvo would not add enough to BMW to merit the huge price Ford would want for it.

Anything is possible but I doubt BMW would just want platforms, I think they were sniffing for a fire sale.

Edited by jpd80

Thankfully we have some good actors to make up for that,

Russel Crowe (Phone thrower), Hugh Jackman (Wolverine), Heath Ledger, Anthony Lapaglia, Eric Banna (Hulk)

And, of course, conspicuous by his absence, Mel Gibson :P

Do you get 'House'? First season riff, "I'm not British, I'm Australian" "You put the Queen on your money. You're British."

I've been on topic on this thread long enough, and I think it's about as played out as it's going to get. Ford ain't sellin' Volvo, the Autocar report was substantially accurate, and a Ford spokesman ended up having to go on record to scotch a story from the screeching feedback loop we call the 'inter-net'.

Edited by RichardJensen

And, of course, conspicuous by his absence, Mel Gibson :P

Do you get 'House'? First season riff, "I'm not British, I'm Australian" "You put the Queen on your money. You're British."

I've been on topic on this thread long enough, and I think it's about as played out as it's going to get. Ford ain't sellin' Volvo, the Autocar report was substantially accurate, and a Ford spokesman ended up having to go on record to scotch a story from the screeching feedback loop we call the 'inter-net'.

Mel's actually one of yours.

He emmigrated to Australia with his family when he was a kid. He went to NIDA, the AUS Film Academy

but now calls the US home.

I highlighted Anthony Lapaglia because he's from Sydney. He went and lived in Brooklyn, honed his accent and the rest is history.

As for the Queen on money, that makes us part of the Commonwealth, but not British. It's a mistake often made.

It would be nice to see the US back in the commonwealth but unfortunately, people would make too much mileage out of non issues

like soverignty and the Queen of America when in fact, it's more like a smaller version of G8.

I believe AUS and US will always be very close, you learn a lot about people when you're in tough scrapes.

Neither of us cut and run, sometimes that's a bad thing but usually that's what friends do.

And while Aussie take the piss outa Americans, we're usually the first ones there by your side.

John

Edited by jpd80

Agreed, but I think these "fishing expeditions" are more common than we think. I wonder how many people know that-then Mercedes CEO, Jurgen Schremp, first approached Ford about a merger before finally settling on Chrysler (from Bill Vlasic and Bradley Stertz's excellent book, "Taken for a Ride: How Daimler-Benz drove off with Chrysler"). I got to believe that manufacturers talk about a lot of stuff that the press never hears about. It's the nature of the business today.

That was a joke used on the TV show "House". Obviously you didn't get it. :finger:

Yeah. I can't remember the set-up. I think House said something like, "Yeah, and you flew all the way across the Atlantic..." "Pacific. I'm Australian. Not British." which led to the insult....

jpd80:

http://www.ebroadcast.com.au/cgi-bin/TV/de...;time=8%2e30+pm

Don't know how this translates to your locale & available stations...........

Great show. This episode is from earlier this season.

Yeah. I can't remember the set-up. I think House said something like, "Yeah, and you flew all the way across the Atlantic..." "Pacific. I'm Australian. Not British." which led to the insult....

jpd80:

http://www.ebroadcast.com.au/cgi-bin/TV/de...;time=8%2e30+pm

Don't know how this translates to your locale & available stations...........

Great show. This episode is from earlier this season.

QUOTE(TomServo92 @ May 29 2007, 10:52 PM)

That was a joke used on the TV show "House". Obviously you didn't get it.

DOH! I'm sure it will when I watch in about 7 hours.

I'll watch tonight, this station doesnt have speakers. I'll edit this post later with a rsponse.

PS I like House.

Edited by jpd80

DOH! I'm sure it will when I watch in about 7 hours.

Actually, it's from the first season. It's a throwaway line in one of the first few episodes. I caught it because I borrowed a friend's DVDs.

We're getting the season finale tonight..... Want me to post a full description after it airs????? :devil:

Your episode aired a few months back. It's a good one. Very Foreman centered.

Spineless or finally faced up to reality?

Well, he botched the restructuring and then he washed his hands of it in a matter of weeks after institutional investors made a ruckus at DB's annual meeting and in the days leading up to it.

I don't agree with GM's decision to rest a lot of authority on Lutz's shoulders, but at least the board and Wagoner Kerkorian the succulent raspberry when he tried to tell them how to run the business.

Well, he botched the restructuring and then he washed his hands of it in a matter of weeks after institutional investors made a ruckus at DB's annual meeting and in the days leading up to it.

I don't agree with GM's decision to rest a lot of authority on Lutz's shoulders, but at least the board and Wagoner Kerkorian the succulent raspberry when he tried to tell them how to run the business.

I think Daimler really screwed up buying Chrysler (even though they were able to raid Chrysler's bank account and offset some of the loss). Dieter had to make things look a little better before they unloaded Chrysler. He probably did the best he could. Don't suppose that little inventory problem was an attempt to pump the numbers a tad before the big sale, do you? Too bad the timing was off.

• 3 weeks later...