Ford Sued Over Deaths of Tongan Royals

The sons of a Tongan prince killed in a California freeway crash have sued Ford Motor Co., claiming its sport utility vehicle's unsafe design was primarily responsible for their father's death.

The lawsuit claims the Dearborn, Mich.-based automaker knew the 1998 Ford Explorer carrying Prince Tu'ipelehake, 55, his wife, Princess Kaimana Aleamotu'a Tuku'aho, 46 and their driver, Vinisia Hefa, 36, had a tendency to "roll over or flip in turning maneuvers."

Since 2000, Ford has won 27 of the 34 product liability or personal injury lawsuits it has faced involving the Explorer, Kinley said. READ MORE HERE.

I dont know, but personally if the father was killed, and they are Prince', then I'm sure they stand to inherit quite a bit of money plus a step up in the throne...MAYBE the father dying in the accident wasn't a bad idea...and maybe they stand to inherit more money from their father, than poverty striken Ford :) But thats just me....

Having survived my formative years being ferried about with my parents and three brothers in a 1942 Ford GPW, and later on in a 1961 Willys® Jeep® Station Wagon, I cannot envision purpose built 4WD vehicles being inherently unsafe............when operated in a manner that reflects their particular characteristics.The operator of said vehicle is responsible for being enlightened about the vehicle's strengths and weeknesses.

{Since the GPW didn't even HAVE sun visors, there was no place to affix a warning placard. } <VBG>

It's a picture! It shows an SUV tipping over!

warninglab.jpg

:hysterical:

There's your proof Ford 'knew' that the Explorer has a 'tendency' to roll over.

problem is Rich...its not in Tongan.....the safety belt moniker could be construed as directions for suggested cuts to be inflicted on rival tribe members during hostilities and tribal warfare.......

Edited by Deanh

i thought the leaning SUV just universal for 'No Fat Chicks'

either way its BS. i didnt read the link here as i read another one on Fordmuscle.com. when you get cut off by some punk kid in a Mustang and swerve in a full Explorer, well, tragic and unfortunate things can happen. its sad to hear this happened to the victims of the crash, but like the article on the other site said

-"You should not be able to sue a company just because their product was happens to be involved in an accident, and the real guilty party doesn’t have any money. "

It's California so the entire state will join hands and sue detroit

The article mentions that the explorer is inherantly "unstable" well I'd say any car is unstable after it gets sideswiped at highway speeds. It's sad that this happened but seriously, let Ford go..they shouldn't be liable for people who don't heed warnings.

WARNING! Operating a motor vehicle can sometimes be dangerous!

(good now no one can sue the entire industry)

I look forward to the lawsuits of some moron that rolled, or caused an accident, because they thought that roll stability control would save their butts no matter what.

when the truth comes out we will probably find out that the driver was distracted by the ceremonial buried Pig and Kumura was being dug up from the third row seat cavity.....Hungi in an explorer....