New Falcon Spy Shots.

igor

http://www.caradvice.com.au/3211/2008-ford...and-gt-exposed/

I hope it drives better than it looks - the front Overhang is god-awful long .. especially compared to the new Commodore with BMW3er like front overhang (or the lack of thereof :D...

Not much else is too evident yet ...

Would this still manage good proportions for the Interceptor, MKR and Mustang? I am not sure, but I am not an engineer.

Igor

Long overhang in part due to I-6, no I-6 option for the Holden. That's gotta make the engine 8" or so longer than a V8.

Also, I believe this thing is being engineered for better front crash performance than the Zeta.

so ummmm......those inline 6 bmw's dont have a horrid front overhang like that.

They would have been better off using the 3.5 and designing a more appealing car.

http://www.caradvice.com.au/3211/2008-ford...and-gt-exposed/

I hope it drives better than it looks - the front Overhang is god-awful long .. especially compared to the new Commodore with BMW3er like front overhang (or the lack of thereof :D...

Not much else is too evident yet ...

Would this still manage good proportions for the Interceptor, MKR and Mustang? I am not sure, but I am not an engineer.

Igor

Believe it or not the current Falcon handles every bit as well as the Commodore and Orion is expected to leapfrog the Commodore in this area. I only hope they skip the space saver spare idea, Holden tried that with the Commodore and everyone insisted on full sized at no extra cost.

We're lead to believe the Orion Falcon chassis is as flexible as zetas, the front rails can be lengthened and the nose shortened, wheelbase can be longer or shorter, tail can be made much shorter now that fuel tank is forward of rear wheels.

FoA continuing with a similar proportioned car speaks volumes to the financial constrictions placed on them by their parent. I wonder if the constant meddling and stalling of the new Falcon by Ford's parent will result in permanent dieback in sales of the Falcon, FoA's majority seller. If it does, not even the Orion Falcon will save them.

In stark contrast, Holden now has a Commodore selling like gang busters while value added price reduced Falcons struggle to sell. Ford Australia will go through agony until the expected late March release of the Orion Falcon.

That said, I would have preferred a Falcon with longer wheelbase and shorter overhangs like the Commodore. It would have made such a difference kicking the front axle forward 3" with shorter overhangs front and back. Those proportions would have looked more like the interceptor.

Edit,

Both current Falcon and Commodore crash test ratings are impared by base models having side air bags as options, note the difference in option's price:

Falcon - AUS$600

Commodore - AUS$2,000

I sure hope Ford makes them standard in the next Falcon,

that will give them an ANCAP (NCAP) score of 5 Stars

Edited by jpd80

so ummmm......those inline 6 bmw's dont have a horrid front overhang like that.

They would have been better off using the 3.5 and designing a more appealing car.

Those inline 6 BMWs also have a 4 star front crash rating.

And as far as the 'better off', what part of shipping engines from Cleveland to get rid of an overhang makes sense?

Those inline 6 BMWs also have a 4 star front crash rating.

And as far as the 'better off', what part of shipping engines from Cleveland to get rid of an overhang makes sense?

Thanks Richard, that's the point, it's cheaper to stick with the local engine.

There is no imminent NA contract and this isn't the interceptor.

By comparison with US and Europe, Falcon and commodore are 4.5 star only because they don't fit curtain airbags as standard. The scarry thing is most fatalaties and serious injuries occur with offset frontal impact and side impact. The pole crash test at 20 mph proves that without curtain airbags, fatal head trauma occurrs. It is a primary safety feature and their fittment should be made mandatory.

The long front overhang can be partly blamed on the... customers.. the I6 is pretty famous in Australia that if it got cancelled the Falcon might not sell.

But in the engine's defense, the I6 with the turbo is one heck of a combination...

Most of you wouldn't be aware Ford Australia applied for a Duratec 35 engine plant contract, to parallel the AUS$400 million Holden HFV6 engine plant. That offer was turned down years ago as not suiting North American interests. Last year, Holden engine exports rose 6.8 per cent to 212,266, taking total export revenue to $1.852 billion. If we had been awarded a modest plant, we could have supplied Duratec 35 to near 100,000 regional products before any exports are considered. Similar production and export quantities as Holden would have generated sufficient funds to develop the local Orion and a car for export.

Ford Australia woulda, coulda, shoulda, ... but for its dysfunctional and selfish North American branch. There's a lot of skeletons in the closet most Americans don't know about.

So when you think why we didn't do certain sensible things, just look to your own back yard. With eyes open, Alan Mulally, Mark Fields and Derrick Kuzak see what has been acheived and what's possible. We can only hope it will lead to better decisions all round.

Overhang?

Falcon is 4" longer than a Fusion and the Falcon's wheelbase is 5" longer as well meaning, the combined front and rear overhang is less. The nose must be shorter than Fusion because the trunk is bigger. You tell me is that way too much to ask for in a much bigger car?

Edited by jpd80

I can't believe how judgmental people are about these spy shots. How can you really tell how much an overhang affects the look of a vehicle until you see it without disguise on? I sure can't. I mean, I can guage how long it looks, but on a sedan, a longer overhang isn't necessarily that uncommon.

Thanks Richard, that's the point, it's cheaper to stick with the local engine.

There is no imminent NA contract and this isn't the interceptor.

By comparison with US and Europe, Falcon and commodore are 4.5 star only because they don't fit curtain airbags as standard. The scarry thing is most fatalaties and serious injuries occur with offset frontal impact and side impact. The pole crash test at 20 mph proves that without curtain airbags, fatal head trauma occurrs. It is a primary safety feature and their fittment should be made mandatory.

Most of you wouldn't be aware Ford Australia applied for a Duratec 35 engine plant contract, to parallel the AUS$400 million Holden HFV6 engine plant. That offer was turned down years ago as not suiting North American interests. Last year, Holden engine exports rose 6.8 per cent to 212,266, taking total export revenue to $1.852 billion. If we had been awarded a modest plant, we could have supplied Duratec 35 to near 100,000 regional products before any exports are considered. Similar production and export quantities as Holden would have generated sufficient funds to develop the local Orion and a car for export.

Ford Australia woulda, coulda, shoulda, ... but for its dysfunctional and selfish North American branch. There's a lot of skeletons in the closet most Americans don't know about.

So when you think why we didn't do certain sensible things, just look to your own back yard. With eyes open, Alan Mulally, Mark Fields and Derrick Kuzak see what has been acheived and what's possible. We can only hope it will lead to better decisions all round.

Overhang?

Falcon is 4" longer than a Fusion and the Falcon's wheelbase is 5" longer as well meaning, the combined front and rear overhang is less. The nose must be shorter than Fusion because the trunk is bigger. You tell me is that way too much to ask for in a much bigger car?

If you look ast the fusion from the side it looks horibble, almost like it's going to do an endo when the brakes are hit due to the ugly long overhang.

There's no excuse on a RWD car as there is nothing stopping them from pushing the wheels forward, ford did it with the 05 Mustang, and it looks a million times better for it. The wheel location and high cowl make the new Falcon look like a FWD car..

This is a problem that plagues Ford's, only the Mustang team got this issue right.

Edited by Blueblood

If you look ast the fusion from the side it looks horibble, almost like it's going to do an endo when the brakes are hit due to the ugly long overhang.

There's no excuse on a RWD car as there is nothing stopping them from pushing the wheels forward, ford did it with the 05 Mustang, and it looks a million times better for it. The wheel location and high cowl make the new Falcon look like a FWD car..

This is a problem that plagues Ford's, only the Mustang team got this issue right.

I guess is all your opinion...because I've never noticed the problem...I think the fusion looks good from the side...but then again you don't think much of the fusion....or anything that makes an sense in general do you.

Regardless, the wagon looks odd. Both look like they are loaded down like they are carrying the stolen gold from "The Italian Job" for proving or something, which also distorts some perspective. They're camoflaged, I won't ever see one live, and don't understand the hysteria on this thread.

Blame your parent company Ford NA, skin flints with money insisting on maximum carry over of parts. The reason Orion was delayed nine months was arguing for more funds.

Regardless, the wagon looks odd. Both look like they are loaded down like they are carrying the stolen gold from "The Italian Job" for proving or something, which also distorts some perspective. They're camoflaged, I won't ever see one live, and don't understand the hysteria on this thread.

Disregard the wagon, it's an old mule for testing the space saver.

I can't believe how judgmental people are about these spy shots. How can you really tell how much an overhang affects the look of a vehicle until you see it without disguise on? I sure can't. I mean, I can guage how long it looks, but on a sedan, a longer overhang isn't necessarily that uncommon.

Exactly, camoflage is designed to distort perceptions and throw people off.

Falcon is the right car for the Aussie market, just as Taurus is for America.

Horses for courses, we like Falcons, you like Tauruseses, and Brits love Mondeos.

I'm allowed to be excites we get the car, those people be moaning it remember other people's tastes in the world are different to yours and you won't be forced to buy it.

Edited by jpd80

I guess is all your opinion...because I've never noticed the problem...I think the fusion looks good from the side...but then again you don't think much of the fusion....or anything that makes an sense in general do you.

:cheerleader:

Go troll elsewhere..

Blame your parent company Ford NA, skin flints with money insisting on maximum carry over of parts. The reason Orion was delayed nine months was arguing for more funds.

Oh I do, I know how cheap they are, I know how the beancounters have the final say in everything, I wonder how things will change in the future for Ford AU under Mulally??