Volvo's future within Ford (26-27 June)

mackinaw

That may be so but by EU law they can not use the VAT system to do this. In fact the author implied German car makers recieve a subsidy to make exports cheaper. That is not true at all. They may get tax relief but the US government is also free to offer this to it's exporters. So effectively there is no "ill gained" advantage to the German car maker.

I've just sent an email explaining EU VAT law to this dim wit!

I was thinking more along the lines of the tax incentives Ford receives from their Brazil and Argentina operations....

You're right, though I didn't think about the EU norms...

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well unless you plan on starting a trade war with Germany to get them to eliminate the tax concessions, don't expect any changes. There's nothing the US govt can do from a policy standpoint that wouldn't piss off the entire world even more than they already are.

I always said New Zealnd should declare war on the States...country would now be an economic giant importing all sorts of products into the states......and not having to reciprocate to anywhere near the same extreme, look at Japan and Germany....who benefits the most out of theirs and the United States relationship....hint hint Toyota, honda, Bmw, Mercedes....wonder if the Staes benefits as much from shipping fords, chryslers or GMs to their countries?

I always said New Zealnd should declare war on the States...country would now be an economic giant importing all sorts of products into the states......and not having to reciprocate to anywhere near the same extreme, look at Japan and Germany....who benefits the most out of theirs and the United States relationship....hint hint Toyota, honda, Bmw, Mercedes....wonder if the Staes benefits as much from shipping fords, chryslers or GMs to their countries?

Have you ever heard of the movie "The Mouse That Roared"? Check it out sometime if you haven't...

European newspapers report that private-equity firms, including Cerberus Capital Management LP, which is buying Chrysler, have expressed interest in Land Rover and Jaguar, and that Ford reportedly approached BMW about Volvo.

This is, in fact the exact OPPOSITE of what was reported.

Tempest in a teacup stuff, folks. Nothing to see here.

Unlike the "We are washing our hands of this mess, right now" scene at DB, don't expect to see much useful information in the papers about any LR/Jag sale.

The papers were very consistently WRONG about AM's sale, no reason to suspect that they'll be right about a sale of the other two British brands (even assuming that they are sold).

Fischer was supposedly taking over AM, Nasser was taking over AM, Whatsisface, the current CEO was going to take over AM, LVMH was going to take over AM.

Blah blah blah. All of it wrong.

Why is BMW better than Lincoln? If Lincoln wasn't neglected in the past 20 years BMW would still be a no-name carmaker in America.

Very doubtful. They are two different types of cars for two very different markets. People don't cross shop the two. All the money that GM has thrown at Cadillac has really made much of a dent in BMW or other luxury car brand sales.

Very doubtful. They are two different types of cars for two very different markets. People don't cross shop the two. All the money that GM has thrown at Cadillac has really made much of a dent in BMW or other luxury car brand sales.

But it has at least gotten Cadillac back on the map, something that has yet to be seen with Lincoln.

thats not what i read...

but even if this is true, you know if someone offered them enough money, FORD would sell, I i offered ford 62 billion dollars for Volvo I am sure Ford would sell me Volvo.

And if I was Superman, I could move faster than a speeding bullet. Hypotheticals only have merit when you are realistic with them.

Highly unlikely !

Almost all of Ford's future cars are based on Volvo platforms.

It's more than that, ALL current Volvos and all that are in development are built on platforms shared with Ford or Mazda. Ther is also a great deal of engine sharing,e.g. lower spec Volvos in Europe use Ford's 4 cylinder engines and the new Mondeo usess Volvo's T5 in its top spec. Separating the 2 companies at this point would be a real nightmare. It would make some big corporate law firms on both sides of the atlantic a hell of alot of money though:(