No July Shutdown for Portions of Product Development

Some engineers in Powertrain Engineering (that the "controls" and components side of Powertrain) are working everyday this week, except for the 4th.

Also parts of Research are working.

I guess management has seen the tsunami of late 2009-10 programs "just off shore" and now are starting to think about "heading for the hills" (or more likely, "Why didn't I take that buy out last year !")

I guess the idea of saving energy by shutdown the office A/C and computers must have gone out the window !

Yeah, that was nice to get a vacation right in the middle of summer, ahhh the good old days...

Next they'll want to take away that week between Christmas and New Years and institute a 2nd and 3rd shift for engineers who are supposed to be "white" collar... *GULP*

Welcome... to the DESERT of the REAL...

Cry me a frakking river. :blink: :baby::cry:

Maintenance works almost every day of the summer shutdown at every facility, and we actually get dirty. Why is it so bad that a white collar person has to go to work in a clean, quiet environment and sit behind a desk all day playing solitaire? And, don't get me started about the A/C bit. I say shut it off and make them sweat, like the blue collar folk have to in the summer. Maybe they will get a glimpse of what real work is like, and they can climb off their high horse and get to work.

Who needs to get of who's high horse? "Dirty work is the only hard work". Any engineer does work you could never do, but any engineer could do your job. Remember that when you're gloating about how you do "real work".

Edited by Noah Harbinger

Who needs to get of who's high horse? "Dirty work is the only hard work". Any engineer does work you could never do, but any engineer could do your job. Remember that when you're gloating about how you do "real work".

I don't know about that. I've worked with a lot of engineers during my career and there were quite a few that were great with the design work that I wouldn't trust to change a light bulb! :hysterical:

Bah, why whine about something so insignificant?...makes all engineers look bad

Ford needs a couple free years with no competitors working to catch up anyway..why not start now. Jesus, how many people don't even have the 4th off?

Ford hire ME! I'm a little new but if things like this hurt the moral in your engineering groups..to hell with them, get some new blood!

Sigh !

You guys are missing the whole point of this post !

Major powertrain programs (like Twin Force, DI, PowerShift and the 4.4L diesel) are way, WAY behind schedule ! Will they make their Job #1 dates ? What about quality ?

Management was the one who scheduled the engineering shutdown as a "cost savings", because everything was supposed to be "on schedule". Of well, let's just burn through some more of that cash !

BTW, it's "Pay me now or pay me later !" All vacation and comp time must be used before the end of the year. Parts of Product Development look like a ghost town after Thanksgiving because so many engineers have to use up their vacation and comp time or loose it !

Cry me a frakking river. :blink: :baby::cry:

Maintenance works almost every day of the summer shutdown at every facility, and we actually get dirty. Why is it so bad that a white collar person has to go to work in a clean, quiet environment and sit behind a desk all day playing solitaire? And, don't get me started about the A/C bit. I say shut it off and make them sweat, like the blue collar folk have to in the summer. Maybe they will get a glimpse of what real work is like, and they can climb off their high horse and get to work.

well, the decisions you make in life dictate where you end up today. They sit in a comfy office and you are out doing the dirty work. maybe you should have studied math harder in high school.

why would you want to be forced out for a shutdown.. I would rather just have 2 weeks vacation when I wanted it not when they told me to take it.... and wasn't the point of shutdown for the model year changeover... so if everything is carryover then do they shut down for nothing

and I like my cubical... not much to look at but it beats beating myself up doing real work....

Why would I want to take a pay cut to sit in meetings all day? :stirpot:

You're in the six figure range too?

Although, you make a point that dirty work often earns more than some other office jobs where we get no respect.

Edited by Roadrunner

oh boo hoo, 15 days vacation a year and only 2 public holidays scheduled off a year, an NO pauycheck for lack of sales, the 2 days off are Xmas day and Independence day..THATS it! HARDEN UP LADS! everyones job is the hardest and least rewarding isn't it?

I don't think it will serve any purpose devolving this thread into a production vs. engineering battle.

We're all in this together. No?

My view? While it definitely sucks having your summer plans dashed, it's ONE year out of "how many?" Obviously, they need the results, or they wouldn't need you in. You may have to dig down and ask yourself whether sacrificing your summer is preferable to not having a Ford to come into. We can't keep pushing product back and missing launch dates, because Hyundai and Kia and Toyota engineers won't wait to miss theirs.

I've got 19 years in this company. I still can't take my vacation whenever I want. "Them's the breaks." It's still better than being out of work, right?

My view? While it definitely sucks having your summer plans dashed, it's ONE year out of "how many?"

Sigh.

If that was only the truth ! The Research and Engineering Center has only been on "summer shutdown" for 3 years.

Every year, EVERY SINGLE YEAR SO FAR, Powertrain Engineering has worked at least part of the week.

PPP "P!ss Poor Planning" on managements part !

Sigh.

If that was only the truth ! The Research and Engineering Center has only been on "summer shutdown" for 3 years.

Every year, EVERY SINGLE YEAR SO FAR, Powertrain Engineering has worked at least part of the week.

PPP "P!ss Poor Planning" on managements part !

Can you not "book" weeks off based on (for lack of a better salary word) seniority? Or did you assume that you were getting it off?