2009 F-150 What we know

ds91776

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WHAT I WE KNOW:

-it will have the new Boss 6.2 liter (?) V8 engine.

-it will get new versions of the 3.5 V6, possibly a regular and a twin-force version.

Things may have changed in the past 6 months, but none of these were in the program before I left in Feb, at least not for Job #1.

The Boss was originally only to go in the SuperDuty. Although, IIRC, I think there was a plan to put the V10 in the F150

The 3.5L/3.7L, if it can make enough low end torque (which is does not in current form), would make a good replacement for the 4.2L

Despite what everyone else is saying, the 4.4L will not be there at Job #1.

Unless a miracle occurs, it will be late 2010MY (engine Job #1 is fall 2009).

Exactly what I expected from the things I've heard, I believe the 09 F-150 will be just like the 08 Escape, carry over powertrains with the new engines coming 1-2 model years after.

The automotive media will rip Ford a new one, especially if the 09 is heavier, and has to be puled around by the 5.4 mod, and deservedly so, if this happens they will deserve every bit of criticism they get, and then some!

Do you know of any reasons why all the new engines are so ridiculously late????

So GM will beat them to the punch....again. :banghead:

What's new? It's "bold moves"!!

I'm sure the entire market will beat Ford, they already have a huge lead in gas V8's..

Why are they always last with everything? You'd think it might register with them that this might be why marketshare and sales keep going down continually, they are getting beat in everything and consumers are flocking to other brands..

How do you know this?

he retired from Powertrain controls in February.

6.2l Boos is planned for the truck,. but we shall see whether it will be there at launch. (I believe I have a $2 wager on this with Biker or someone)

Blue II talked about a low-end torque version of the 3.7l .. some 280ft.lbf or something .. that would be base.

the 5.4l is to be improved, but carryover.

The transmission will definitely change ... at least some models will have optional 6speed .. just like Tundra and GM's

The Twin Force 3.5l is a 2010MY option the Twin Force 6.2l V8 is a 2012 MY option.

The 4.4l Diesel will likely be absent at launch, but if they do it right it will be there for 2010 MY or as "late availability" 2009 option .. the latter would be awesome, but is likely quite unlikely.

So launch engine lineup will be

3.7l V6

(will the 4.6l V8 stay?)

slightly better 5.4l V8

and maybe the 6.2l BOSS.

the year after it will get the D35 Twin Force and the Diesel.

2 years after that it will get the 6.2l Twin Force V8.

Igor

Edited by igor

What's new? It's "bold moves"!!

I'm sure the entire market will beat Ford, they already have a huge lead in gas V8's..

Why are they always last with everything? You'd think it might register with them that this might be why marketshare and sales keep going down continually, they are getting beat in everything and consumers are flocking to other brands..

I'd rather 'em perfect it, than half ass launch it.......only to recall a ton of cars and once again become the poster child of lackluster quality.

I'd rather 'em perfect it, than half ass launch it.......only to recall a ton of cars and once again become the poster child of lackluster quality.

I'd rather they finally figure out how to launch something ON TIME with GOOD QUALITY. With Ford it seems to be one or the other, rarely both.

This article has some good info about future diesels for the major truck manufacturers. Says the 4.4 will start rolling off the line in mexico in 2008 and the 6.7 6 months later. Maybe these will just be test engines and not production this would seem to point to them being available aleast by early 2009.

http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache:S3_x9...;cd=1&gl=us

This article has some good info about future diesels for the major truck manufacturers. Says the 4.4 will start rolling off the line in mexico in 2008 and the 6.7 6 months later. Maybe these will just be test engines and not production this would seem to point to them being available aleast by early 2009.

http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache:S3_x9...;cd=1&gl=us

Also what is this 6.7l?

Here's a question for anyone who would know...and this is way in the future...

If and when this 6.2GTTDI engine makes an appearance, wouldn't Ford need to use the Superduty's transmission for it?

And will that even fit in the 150?

Ford managed to get the old Super Duty's transmission into the Lightning with no trouble. I don't think they'd have a problem getting the current one into the next gen F-150 with its increased bulk.

Also what is this 6.7l?

Is this the Powerstroke replacement? I know it was rumored Ford started developing a new large diesel full-force after the Powerstroke fiasco earlier this year. Could it be already set for production by early 2009? I guess it's probably heavily based on the 4.4, so maybe there weren't major technical hurdles to overcome.

I wonder how much it will cost Ford to void the contract with Navistar in 2009? Might be the best money they ever spend...

"It is known that Ford is a long-time user of MAG machine tools and Ford's Chihuahua, Mexico plant will be the recipient of over 100 machining centres from MAG to make both the new 4.4-litre and 6.7-litre V8 diesel engines. The first 4.4-litre V8 engine will come off one line in 2008"

"GM has revealed plans to use CGI in its new vee-diesels with GM Powertrain's Tonawanda plant in Buffalo, NY, cited as the location for engine production that will start October 2009. The plant will get a US$300m investment to make the 4.5-litre V8 diesel."

So, despite the speculation to the contrary, I guess Ford 4.4L diesel really will beat the GM 4.5L diesel to market.

Didnt know that, sounds good

The 1997 F150 was designed from the get go to accomodate the E4OD/4R100 tranny, and that trans was in many models besides the Lightning.

I'm not sure the 2004 F150 was to designed to accomodate anything larger than the 4R70W/4R75, at least that's what I've read around here.