Full Test - Ford Mondeo Wagon 2.0 Diesel - LOT OF PICS

igor

I don't care what anyone says, those cars are damn sweet! Inside and out. I would love to see a similar dash/interior and the "Kinetic design" language incorporated into the next Fusion.

The only thing I'm not crazy about on the new Mondeo is the Expedition-like square grille pattern. I think the car would have looked nicer with a horizontal bar like we saw in the 2001-up Lightnings, but in a silver/gray color as opposed to the Lightnings black. JMHO...

2001Lightning.jpg

Too bad I don't have photoshop.

Edited by White99GT

I don't care what anyone says, those cars are damn sweet! Inside and out. I would love to see a similar dash/interior design and the "Kinetic design" language incorporated into the next Fusion. JMHO...

to be honest - so would I .. the car is beautiful, and so is the inside ... too bad Ford was on dope back in 2005 and the 2 cars were not designed together ... so now this car does not have AWD or V6 .....

we shall see how the 09 Fusion does .. maybe a Fusion Wagon (imported Mondeo Wagon) would be a nice niche option - I would definitely bite ... my GF would have to drag me from a dealership ..

Igor

Edited by igor

to be honest - so would I .. the car is beautiful, and so is the inside ... too bad Ford was on dope back in 2005 and the 2 cars were not designed together ... so now this car does not have AWD or V6 .....

we shall see how the 09 Fusion does .. maybe a Fusion Wagon (imported Mondeo Wagon) would be a nice niche option - I would definitely bite ... my GF would have to drag me from a dealership ..

Igor

I honestly prefer the styling of the Taurus X :stirpot: ............NOT!

I honestly prefer the styling of the Taurus X :stirpot: ............NOT!
Turus X is completely different look .. it is to look stately and large and luxurious (exterior) ... the Mondeo and Fusion (and Edge and S-max for that matter) are to look light, slim and athletic .. they both have their place ..

for a better example of what I mean compare BMW 3 series to BMW 5 or 7 series ... or X3 to X5 ...

Igor

Igor

I would say that the v6 engine will be out in about six months when demand has started to fade .As it was said that ford has 20,000 orders so far in the last month. The mondeo has all ways had a v6 engine in its line up even the seirra before had a v6 engines.Lets just hope that its the 3.5 to give it the power it needs

Turus X is completely different look .. it is to look stately and large and luxurious (exterior) ... the Mondeo and Fusion (and Edge and S-max for that matter) are to look light, slim and athletic .. they both have their place ..

for a better example of what I mean compare BMW 3 series to BMW 5 or 7 series ... or X3 to X5 ...

Igor

not sure I agree Igor...3 and 5 series don't compete w one another...if the Mondeo was here it would compete directly with the Taurus X, and befor esome NIMROD mentions 3 row seats look at the Freestyles ( pre Taurus x ) and see how much of a selling point it was and go hide in a mini-van....or Flex. I am talking PURELY styling here.....

not sure I agree Igor...3 and 5 series don't compete w one another...if the Mondeo was here it would compete directly with the Taurus X, and befor esome NIMROD mentions 3 row seats look at the Freestyles ( pre Taurus x ) and see how much of a selling point it was and go hide in a mini-van....or Flex. I am talking PURELY styling here.....

huh?

Taurus X - without mentioning the 3rd row, it is still a FULL SIZE WAGON

Mondeo Wagon - is still a MID SIZE wagon ..

they do not compete .. it truly is as different as Focus (EU) wagon and Mondeo Wagon .. or as different as Fusion and Taurus, or Focus and Fusion/Mondeo sedans ...

you know different CLASS/SIZE

Igor

huh?

Taurus X - without mentioning the 3rd row, it is still a FULL SIZE WAGON

Mondeo Wagon - is still a MID SIZE wagon ..

they do not compete .. it truly is as different as Focus (EU) wagon and Mondeo Wagon .. or as different as Fusion and Taurus, or Focus and Fusion/Mondeo sedans ...

you know different CLASS/SIZE

Igor

how bout sales #'s.....I kinda rest my case....Taurus X or Freestyle was a waste of capitol.......Ford created a car for pretty much a market that wasn't there.....I would even go so far as to say NATIONAL sales figures would have a lot of people wondering the same thing.WHY?

That is a far nicer looking vehicle than out Mazda 6 wagon hands down.

The 6 has not been a stellar car by any stretch it is going in on wed for new valve body in the tranny (suposedly it is cracked). And also the tail gate has been rubbing on the bumper and worn the paint off both (mazda is looking to this and a fix with most likly a repaint of both. Not to mention there are more than few rattles here and their.

I Do not think it will be a keeper and will proboly be unloaded late next year.

Now if Ford could bring the Mondeo wagon here with a 6 banger or a higher HP diesel they have one gaurenteed sale.

My only gripe with it is the lack of a step on the top of the rear bumper. Some thing that wagons really should have. Maybe it is under the hatch but I can not tell from the pics. But that doos not help you if you actually use the roof racks if so equipped.

Matthew

The UK Ford site offered these choices for the Mondeo wagon:

1.6 Duratec 110ps, Durashift 5-Speed Manual

1.6 Duratec 125ps, Durashift 5-Speed Manual

2.0 Duratec 145 ps, Durashift 5-Speed Manual

2.3 Duratec 161ps, Auto (6 Speed)

2.5 Duratec 220 ps, Durashift 6-Speed Manual

1.8 Duratorq TDCi 100ps, Durashift 5-Speed Manual

1.8 Duratorq TDCi 125ps, Durashift 5-Speed Manual

1.8 Duratorq TDCi 125ps, Durashift 6-Speed Manual

2.0 Duratorq TDCi 130 ps, Auto (6 Speed)

2.0 Duratorq TDCi 140ps, Durashift 6-Speed Manual

As far as a 6 cylinder in the Mondeo, I know the ST variant will get the new Volvo 3.0 T6. So my guess for the non ST Mondeo 6 cylinder will be the Volvo 3.2l engine. Also the Mondeo will get a new Haldex AWD system in the near future as well.

Deanh, the Mondeo as Igor stated is in the same segment as the North American Fusion.

Taurus-X Dimensions

Overall length (inches)

Overall width (inches)

75 inches

Overall height(inches)

67 inches

Wheelbase (inches)

Mondeo Wagon

Overall length (inches)

Overall width (inches)

Overall height (inches)

59 inhes

Wheelbase (inches)

The North American Fusions overall length is the same as the Mondeo 190".

Edited by MKII

As far as a 6 cylinder in the Mondeo, I know the ST variant will get the new Volvo 3.0 T6. So my guess for the non ST Mondeo 6 cylinder will be the Volvo 3.2l engine. Also the Mondeo will get a new Haldezx AWD system in the near future as well.

Deanh, the Mondeo as Igor stated is in the same segment as the North American Fusion.

Taurus-X Dimensions

Overall length (inches)

Overall width (inches)

75 inches

Overall height(inches)

67 inches

Wheelbase (inches)

Mondeo Wagon

Overall length (inches)

Overall width (inches)

Overall height (inches)

59 inhes

Wheelbase (inches)

The Fusion length is the same as the Mondeo 190".

hmmmm wheelbase 1 inch apart, length 10 inches...Americans seem to be in LOVE with their overhangs don't you think?

I don't care what anyone says, those cars are damn sweet! Inside and out. I would love to see a similar dash/interior and the "Kinetic design" language incorporated into the next Fusion.

The only thing I'm not crazy about on the new Mondeo is the Expedition-like square grille pattern. I think the car would have looked nicer with a horizontal bar like we saw in the 2001-up Lightnings, but in a silver/gray color as opposed to the Lightnings black. JMHO...

2001Lightning.jpg

Too bad I don't have photoshop.

So you would prefer this grille pattern http://www.ford.co.uk/spg/getImage.asp?ima...lrg_flipped.jpg

Thanks for posting Igor

The Estate or Wagon is the best of the bunch in the Mondeo range, but l still think the bland front end will let the Mondeo down when it comes to sales. Mondeo is a great car just let down big time with its bland styling that will let it down again. Skoda and BMW both have replica Mondeo's that will hit sales from both sides, ones 1/2 the price of with a better build quality than the Mondeo, the other is badge & status. Ford needed to make the Mondeo a bit more SPECIAL, with something more classic or elegant to set it apart from the pack, it does not cost any more to punch out in the press shop but it could have helped out with extra sales. I think long term its going to struggle to win sales. Sorry for being so negative, l just hope l am wrong. I do hope Ford move the Mondeo production to the new Rumanian plant to get the costs down on it, a cheaper price might be key to making the Mondeo a big sales success, as it is the most sought after car on the second hand market because it is so bloody good, but that is of very little help to Ford if they can’t sell lots of them new.

That thing is gorgeous. I will take it as it is.

Ford, I just don't get you sometimes...

And bring over a small TDI. I drove my neighbors VW TDI sedan. Errr, not the Psatt.

That does not have much hp, but she gets up and goes as well as any small sedan and I would be very happy with a 90 to 125 hp TDI. Then Ford would have a vehicle that gets close to 40 mpg if not more and is not a Focus.

Edited by macattak1

And we get the Fusion.....

Stupid Ford. No wonder they are losing money in North America.

How can you like that car, I'm sure its not built by the uaw...and boy, does the grass look green in some of those pictures....wow...a car that would be called underpowered and boring...and no awd...tell me....how would this car help fords sales numbers again????

So, because I am a UAW member, I am only allowed to like cars built by the UAW? You just don't get it. :finger:

You think I only hate the Fusion because it's built in Mexico? While I dislike it's assembly point, I hate it because it is uncompetitive, unattractive, and poorly designed. These pictures, along with the Fusion sales numbers, prove me right.

fusion is ok...but starting to date and in need of a freshening....if you hate the Fusion...waht the hell do you think of the taurus and Taurus X....holy cow! talk about bland / generic and lacklustre styling wise....

So, because I am a UAW member, I am only allowed to like cars built by the UAW? You just don't get it. :finger:

You think I only hate the Fusion because it's built in Mexico? While I dislike it's assembly point, I hate it because it is uncompetitive, unattractive, and poorly designed. These pictures, along with the Fusion sales numbers, prove me right.

I was only joking about the uaw thing and you know it..lol...and i do find the fusion attractive, and well designed...the plant seems to be putting out a reliable car, and calling it uncompetitive does not make it true...any problems people have will be addressed in the redesign near in the future....have you driven a fusion....its handling is excellent as is the feel of cabin materials and their design....the exterior is polarizing, but not boring...people really have no case when they say this...how would the less powerful, more bland mondeo be looked at....would people like it...or not...I would say not...it looks good, but it is not audi good, which is a look it really tries to mimic...it would most likely get a similar response to the 500....