Mulally challenges Ford marketing, vehicle branding

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Performance-oriented, but with a lot more everyday usefulness than the Cobra. I've also considered an Audi S4 as a 2nd car and more recently a BMW 3-series...perhaps a 335i or a used M3. I basically settled for the Mazda6 at the time since I was making a heck of a lot less than I am now.

As for the beers, I like a good microbrew now and again, but when I'm out socializing, I'm usually content with a Miller Lite.

Exactly, I would say this is a difference between you and Silvsvt: you want your 'practical car' to have some legit sporting credentials too. I don't think Silvrsvt is of the same mindset.

I can do the same thing, especially with Ford's. People are always amazed that I can tell them what car it is just from the taillights. And it is much easier to tell todays models apart. Toyotas, Hondas, and Nissans look almost nothing alike.

OK, I'll Play, Actually in Richards eyes it's a enalriaF. (Hey, that sounds Arabic!)

i.ford.fairlane.BAII.G220.05mar.jpg

2" shorter than Taurus, heaps more internal room, same trunk space, optional V8.

Gone next year but may resurface as a Huntsman.

Edited by jpd80

Well let's see:

1) early 30s and preference for 90s alternative makes you fairly conservative. This would've been the music of your early adulthood.

2) Sam Adams or Corona suggests that you're not into making a statement with your beers. They're both good beers and readily available almost anywhere. Odds are you have something of a disdain for someone who gets sniffy when they discover that a particular establishment doesn't have, oh, say, Blue Moon available, or Sleeman's.

3) Veteran status coupled with your membership on this board suggests that a) you're partial to domestics but B) if you go import, you probably won't go back. Your age and college education suggests that you went with a GI Bill enlistment, and you didn't look at the military as a career (or if you did, it didn't stick). That's also significant, it means that for a variety of reasons (or a single glaring reason) the military environment didn't quite agree with you. My guess is that you were a bit too independent for the military structure.

Also, if you went with the GI bill to pay for college, it means that you either a) consider your college education to have been worth it, or B) a waste of time, considering what you had to give back to pay for it. But I haven't seen anything to suggest your attitude on that score, nor do I know what your degree is in.

----

Anyway, back to the cars...

Unlike NickF1011 you are a Ford loyalist (not everyone on the board is), which makes any further predictions as difficult as they are easy to write off as easy guesses.

Unless I'm much mistaken you currently own a Mustang. I see this continuing.

If circumstances required it, I see you buying two cars in order to keep a vehicle like the Mustang or your SVT available for personal use. One of your cars, IMO, will always be impractical. Your practical car will also be a Ford, and like Ralph Greene, you will see no need for your practical car to be 'sporty' or performance oriented, after all, that's why you kept the 'Stang, right? You would be comfortable with a Fusion or a Taurus as a 'practical' vehicle.

Why do I say this? Because 1) your beers are more expensive than Road Runner's, meaning you're willing to pay more for the things you like, 2) your current vehicle is more impractical, and 3) you are, no offense intended, somewhat set in your opinions--one of which is that your car should be fun.

holy crap Richard. quite the analysis. Do you read palms too? :D

holy crap Richard. quite the analysis. Do you read palms too? :D

Go back and re-read it. A lot of it is just me rephrasing what he said.

The only predictions were that he'd continue to own at least one impractical car (and that he doesn't see a need for his 'practical car' to be at all sporty), and that he gets annoyed at pretentious people that are hooked on obscure brands of beer.

Edited by RichardJensen