Mustang Competition

suv_guy_19

I'm not living and dying by NADA 2005GTP. If you'll go back and read you'll note the part where I used it to "humor you".

Look, how many times do I have to tell you this before you get it. If you, you as in you personally 2005GTP, you want to shop for a new car with the parameters of "It has to be a 2 door coupe, 4 seats and V8" then by all means you go shop a car that way. All I'm telling you is that not everyone shops for cars that way. Many people don't shop for cars that way. Many people have a much more broad set of parameters and in the course of shopping for a car might still consider buying a Mustang. Therefore any car that they consider in addition to the Mustang is also competition for the Mustang. That is the reality of shopping for cars. That is the reality of the market place. You are so hung up on trying to equate the physical configuration of the car with it's sales potential. The two are entirely different. Some people shop for cars just like you do. Some people do not. How come you think your way to shop for a car is right and theres is wrong? That's pretty arrogant to me. So you know if I drop a few colorful metaphors on you here and there its because I don't like arrogant pricks who try and tell the rest of us how we ought to be shopping for cars. I'm neither asking for nor do I need your forgiveness nor anyone elses for doing that. If you don't like it, too bad. Grow up, quit crying about it and quit tryinig to tell the other half of the population how they are supposed to shop for cars and what counts as competition for their money and what doesn't.

punk!

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I wouldn't call that blasphemy deanh, they are still both Ford in the end right? As it happens I agree with you. The RX8 as it is configured right now is actually a better choice for real world day to day spirited driving then the Mustang. The Mustang has that low end seat planting torque that pins you off the line and of course the throaty exhaust note if you're into that.

PUNK!

my wife and i test drove an rx-8, and it is a nice car, i really liked it, but it didnt have that beautiful exhaust note, and it didnt have a sweet ass 1000 watt sound system! lol

Ah yes, the 1000 watt sound system that they charge $1770 for. LMAO. Do you have any idea what kind of kick ass sound system you can get aftermarket for that kind of money. It makes the shaker thing look like a sparcomatic. Only punks get that option. lol

Ah yes, the 1000 watt sound system that they charge $1770 for. LMAO. Do you have any idea what kind of kick ass sound system you can get aftermarket for that kind of money. It makes the shaker thing look like a sparcomatic. Only punks get that option. lol

it's not $1770, just another thing you are clueless about. now this is a blackhorse!

post-22076-1188844134_thumb.jpg

Well I wouldn't call that blasphemy deanh, they are still both Ford in the end right? As it happens I agree with you. The RX8 as it is configured right now is actually a better choice for real world day to day spirited driving then the Mustang. The Mustang has that low end seat planting torque that pins you off the line and of course the throaty exhaust note if you're into that.

hard to say....I would guess the Mazda perhaps is "lighter" on its feet but more nimble, Tossable as such, the Mustang a little different, however the low end torque would probably negate any advantage that the Rx had in the corners...and I am guessing a lope-ing V8 would be more livable day to day than an engine that has to be constantly redlined to get anywhere....thus my case for the Turbo V^...AND it would probably help the lousy mileage I hear the Rotarys inherrently have.....

hard to say....I would guess the Mazda perhaps is "lighter" on its feet but more nimble, Tossable as such, the Mustang a little different, however the low end torque would probably negate any advantage that the Rx had in the corners...and I am guessing a lope-ing V8 would be more livable day to day than an engine that has to be constantly redlined to get anywhere....thus my case for the Turbo V^...AND it would probably help the lousy mileage I hear the Rotarys inherrently have.....

Yeah, the well handled suspension is why the so called experts give it the nod for best all around day to day spirited driving. It's not too stiff, not too soft, it's goldie locks you know. The rotary engine does drink the gas like you own your own well though. The Mustang has the advantage of sheer power out of the hole. Great torque especially at low end. But the handling is not quite as good as the RX8, it's not as well balanced.

Yeah, the well handled suspension is why the so called experts give it the nod for best all around day to day spirited driving. It's not too stiff, not too soft, it's goldie locks you know. The rotary engine does drink the gas like you own your own well though. The Mustang has the advantage of sheer power out of the hole. Great torque especially at low end. But the handling is not quite as good as the RX8, it's not as well balanced.

The gas mileage isn't that bad (18/24 mpg) but like the Honda S2000 the HP comes on way up in the rev band: 232 @8500 RPMs! Redline is 9000.

No question that the RX8 is better handling, it's a sports car. The Mustang is a sports sedan/muscle car.

Mustang drivers are a special breed, we say no to fancy expensive rear suspension, "expensive looking" interior plastic materials, useless gadgets and other non sense thingies. We say: give us a V8 with decent power (with unlimited after market add-ons), all the safety features we are used to(ABS, air bags etc) and let us have it for about $26K.

Of course if someone wants a "nimble" ride to the grocery store, things like a door that opens backward, we say to them get an RX8 by all means, 'cause this Stang isn't for you.

Mustang drivers are a special breed, we say no to fancy expensive rear suspension, "expensive looking" interior plastic materials, useless gadgets and other non sense thingies. We say: give us a V8 with decent power (with unlimited after market add-ons), all the safety features we are used to(ABS, air bags etc) and let us have it for about $26K.

Of course if someone wants a "nimble" ride to the grocery store, things like a door that opens backward, we say to them get an RX8 by all means, 'cause this Stang isn't for you.

Oh brother, the Marlboro Man mustang owner. Whatever dude.

Unnecessary sarcasm aside Highhorse, there is some truth to to what ibytesxk says about Mustang being relatively basic and simple. It's an honest and unpretentious musclecar. But IMHO I disagree on the unnecessary cheap door plastic. It wouldn't cost much if anything to have a better grain, feel and texture.

After two years it's the only complaint I have on my Mustang GT :shades:

Unnecessary sarcasm aside Highhorse, there is some truth to to what ibytesxk says about Mustang being relatively basic and simple. It's an honest and unpretentious musclecar. But IMHO I disagree on the unnecessary cheap door plastic. It wouldn't cost much if anything to have a better grain, feel and texture.

After two years it's the only complaint I have on my Mustang GT :shades:

It was not unnecessary. There is nothing about buying or driving a mustang that makes you a special breed of person. What are you when you trade your mustang for something else? No longer a special breed just because you don't drive a mustang? If you define yourself as a special breed because of the car you drive then I would submit that special breed is the "shallow as a mud puddle" breed.

There is nothing fancy about an independent rear suspension, you can get it on cars that cost 18 grand brand new if you want to. It's only been common place on many cars for a couple decades now.

I'm pretty sure most buyers don't buy an RX8 so they can have a nimble ride to the grocery store only. Also I guess mustang owners are too special to ever go to grocery store right? Yeah, all of the special breed mustang drivers are comic book hereos or something that you never see at the grocery store or coming out of a public restroom or snoring in their sleep. Whatever.

There's nothing wrong with liking a Mustang, it's a fun car, but if you come around me and try to blow a bunch of pink smoke about how only a special breed of people drive them I'm going to inject reality right back on your ass. Driving a Mustang does not make you special. It's just a car. Who you are as a person is defined by your character combined with your life experiences and how you deal with them. I'm talking about real experiences that count for something too, not just driving a damn car.

By the way . . .

we say no to fancy expensive rear suspension, "expensive looking" interior plastic materials, useless gadgets and other non sense thingies.

it's just too bad you pay just as much for not having them.

There's nothing wrong with liking a Mustang, it's a fun car, but if you come around me and try to blow a bunch of pink smoke about how only a special breed of people drive them I'm going to inject reality right back on your ass. Driving a Mustang does not make you special. It's just a car. Who you are as a person is defined by your character combined with your life experiences and how you deal with them. I'm talking about real experiences that count for something too, not just driving a damn car.

While I agree 100%.........

It looks like the ads are still working from 1966 :rockon: , remember "Mustang makes it happen"? Where the nerd gets the girl, and the football player is crestfallen as they drive off? It was all done tongue in cheek of course. But cars are sold as a lifestyle, or a way to change, or how to be seen/percieved.

There has been a lot of bruhaha about the live real axle. Ford did a great job of ironing out the axle hop/side step. It's not noticeable. It's a non-issue for most drivers. And a large segment of previous Mustang owners liked to change rear end gears and like the live axle simplicity/durability.

As a marketing ploy I think the new Mustang Cobra should have IRS (like the last generation).

By the way . . .

it's just too bad you pay just as much for not having them.

Getting a 300 HP car for $25K makes it a good "bang for the buck". It would probably be another $1K or $2K for IRS and a few of the other gadgets that most Mustang buyers don't want or don't care about.

Edited by timmm55

Getting a 300 HP car for $25K makes it a good "bang for the buck". It would probably be another $1K or $2K for IRS and a few of the other gadgets that most Mustang buyers don't want or don't care about.

Exactly Timm55! I am coming off my second Grand Prix which is fun to drive and have more features in than the Mustang. But, most of those features I could car less if I have or not. But I cannot get out of paying for them.

So, when it came time to turn in my lease on my GP, I looked at two cars and two cars only. The Grand Prix GXP which comes with a V8 and is fast, and the Mustang. The Mustand paddles the GXP in every performance statistic and is RWD. Aside from that, its several thousands of dollars cheaper than the GP. The RX-8 is slower than my current GP so that wasnt an option and the 350Z never registered on my radar b/c it doesnt fit the bill that the Mustang does.

The Mustang was the only choice out there because there are NO other alternatives to what it offers. Not until we see a Camaro or Challenger. Even those won't offer an alternative b/c they will cost much more.

Exactly Timm55! I am coming off my second Grand Prix which is fun to drive and have more features in than the Mustang. But, most of those features I could car less if I have or not. But I cannot get out of paying for them.

So, when it came time to turn in my lease on my GP, I looked at two cars and two cars only. The Grand Prix GXP which comes with a V8 and is fast, and the Mustang. The Mustand paddles the GXP in every performance statistic and is RWD. Aside from that, its several thousands of dollars cheaper than the GP. The RX-8 is slower than my current GP so that wasnt an option and the 350Z never registered on my radar b/c it doesnt fit the bill that the Mustang does.

The Mustang was the only choice out there because there are NO other alternatives to what it offers. Not until we see a Camaro or Challenger. Even those won't offer an alternative b/c they will cost much more.

But, they will still compete. You jsut proved a point anyway. You shopped for 2 cars, not just the Mustang. ou must have considered those cars to be in a class that was at least similar.

LMAO, Exactly Suv-Guy!! Well Done!! 2005GTP, you just admitted to cross shopping two cars that according to your own theory that you have been barking about here for days now should never have been cross shopped. LOL Congratulations, you just blew your own theory right out of the water. It's ok buddy, the Grand Prix can very much be considered competition for a Mustang. So can a 350Z by the way.

Timmm, you're going to be hard pressed to find a brand new Mustang GT for 25K given that the base price is 26 and some change. Don't try to lowball me for the sake of some argument. While it's entirely possible that some people by a completely stripped down Mustang GT it is very much the exception and not the rule. I know how people like to point out exceptions to the rule and act like they exception is the rule around here. I don't. The average price tag on a Mustang GT is between 28 and 30 grand. Thats reality unless you are one of the few who make it a point to get one cheaper. Visit a lot sometime and see what I mean.

Having pointed that out, let's now move on to the so called "bang for the buck" factor.

2007 Mazdaspeed 3 5.4 14.0 (C&D May '07)

2007 Ford Mustang Shelby GT-H 5.3 13.9 (C&D Nov '06)

That's a Hertz GT by the way which I believe is about 20 more horsepower then a standard GT.

The Speed 3 can be had for about 5 to 8 thousand dollars less, HAS AN INDEPENDENT REAR SUSPENSION, and handles better then Mustang. I'd say that's pretty damned good bang for the buck.

While I agree 100%.........

It looks like the ads are still working from 1966 :rockon: , remember "Mustang makes it happen"? Where the nerd gets the girl, and the football player is crestfallen as they drive off? It was all done tongue in cheek of course. But cars are sold as a lifestyle, or a way to change, or how to be seen/percieved.

LOL, thats from 1968. Still one of my favorite ads from the past.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=9GbOujXaGFY

From the Ford website dumb ass. Get on the bus with 2005GTP and go learn something.

you get on the bus dumb ass! i work in pre-delivery at aai. i think i've forgot more about the mustang than you probably know! it's probably a typo on their website because the stickers on the windows say 1295.

2007 Mazdaspeed 3 5.4 14.0 (C&D May '07)

2007 Ford Mustang Shelby GT-H 5.3 13.9 (C&D Nov '06)

That's a Hertz GT by the way which I believe is about 20 more horsepower then a standard GT.

A Mazdaspeed 3 has nothing for a run-of-the-mill Mustang GT. All GT-Hs are automatic with a traction control that is not defeatable.

2007 Ford Mustang Shelby GT M5 5.0 13.6@104.1 (as tested $38,790)

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/coupe/...y_gt/specs.html

2005 Ford Mustang GT M5 5.2 13.8@102 (as tested $27,570)

http://www.caranddriver.com/roadtests/8778...g-gt-page4.html

2005 Ford Mustang GT M5 5.1 13.5@103.6 (as tested $24,995)

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/coupe/...tang_specs.html

2007 MazdaSpeed3 M6 6.0 14.3@99.4 (as tested $26,300)

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/wagon/...cs_pricing.html

2007 MazdaSpeed3 M6 5.8 14.4@99 (as tested $24,515)

http://www.caranddriver.com/roadtests/1172...pecs-page4.html

Edited by White99GT

A Mazdaspeed 3 has nothing for a run-of-the-mill Mustang GT. All GT-Hs are automatic with a traction control that is not defeatable.

2007 Ford Mustang Shelby GT M5 5.0 13.6@104.1 (as tested $38,790)

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/coupe/...y_gt/specs.html

2005 Ford Mustang GT M5 5.2 13.8@102 (as tested $27,570)

http://www.caranddriver.com/roadtests/8778...g-gt-page4.html

2005 Ford Mustang GT M5 5.1 13.5@103.6 (as tested $24,995)

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/coupe/...tang_specs.html

2007 MazdaSpeed3 M6 6.0 14.3@99.4 (as tested $26,300)

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/wagon/...cs_pricing.html

2007 MazdaSpeed3 M6 5.8 14.4@99 (as tested $24,515)

http://www.caranddriver.com/roadtests/1172...pecs-page4.html

Just comparing the trap speeds on those runs tells the true story.

you get on the bus dumb ass! i work in pre-delivery at aai. i think i've forgot more about the mustang than you probably know! it's probably a typo on their website because the stickers on the windows say 1295.

Even if that were true El Dipshit, $1295 is still a ripoff for what you get in the shaker 1000. Personally I'm going to go with the official Ford Website price as opposed to what you claim to have read on a sticker until I find out for sure otherwise.

The Mustang will wax a MazdaSpeed3 out on the street.

It is all dependent on the situation. Most especially the skill of the drivers. The cars are too closely matched to make such a broad statement. Unless of course you are an over zealous Mustang owner who can't accept the reality that there are cars that can hang with it. Challenge a speed 3 to a slalom course and see what happens. There is no doubt the Mustang is a fast car, but as many have pointed out, it's a muscle car in true modern day fashion, and they were never known for their great nimble handling. It's all dependent on the situation.