Lincoln's Mustang

Watchdevil

This just points out everything that really is wrong with the S197's proportions. There's really no other way to do the front end without making it look like it's sitting on a 4x4 suspension. I really hope the refresh can manage to give it a bit more of a hunkered down look and get rid of the slab sides that make it look a lot taller than it is.

On that note, that chop looks like, to quote Mike Rowe's favorite word, POO.

This just points out everything that really is wrong with the S197's proportions. There's really no other way to do the front end without making it look like it's sitting on a 4x4 suspension. I really hope the refresh can manage to give it a bit more of a hunkered down look and get rid of the slab sides that make it look a lot taller than it is.

On that note, that chop looks like, to quote Mike Rowe's favorite word, POO.

Poo is poo I guess... When I play around with themes, some work and some don't... Your just lucky I didn't graft the MKR nose on the Town Car... I thought about it... It would have been a joke as good as putting the 3-bar grille on the Crown Vic.

Yeah the Mustang's hood has that bulged center which looks terrible in relation to the cowl and windshield. That should be a flat surface all the way across, just like the Mustang showcar. I still remember how much in awe I was of the Mustang showcar but when I realized that the production car had that buldged hood and tall grille with upright ends I was disappointed. There is also something special about the arch in the roof of the Mustang showcar that did not translate into production, but that is a little more understandable since there needed to be some back seat room.

I am comparing scale models of the production car and show car side by side as I am writing and the showcar is all about the flat hood and reduced grille height with the more

trapazoidal ends. If the bumper shelf was raised just the right amount it would yield a wider lower profile look that is a bit more sneeky and menacing.

My 1989 Thunderbird had a nice low cowl with hidden wipers and a flat hood accross the width of the car. My 89 Tbird ended up getting the 1997 hood, nose and lamps and I always feel that was something Ford had done right. Still looking at that style now it does not look dated but still fresh and well proportioned. I have a neighbor accross the street with a 97 Tbird and I still appreciate the front and rear styling...The bird shaped grille, jeweled headlamps, full width taillamps that light up accross the whole rear... And that nicely raked windshield...

Poo is poo I guess... When I play around with themes, some work and some don't... Your just lucky I didn't graft the MKR nose on the Town Car... I thought about it... It would have been a joke as good as putting the 3-bar grille on the Crown Vic.

Yeah the Mustang's hood has that bulged center which looks terrible in relation to the cowl and windshield. That should be a flat surface all the way across, just like the Mustang showcar. I still remember how much in awe I was of the Mustang showcar but when I realized that the production car had that buldged hood and tall grille with upright ends I was disappointed. There is also something special about the arch in the roof of the Mustang showcar that did not translate into production, but that is a little more understandable since there needed to be some back seat room.

I am comparing scale models of the production car and show car side by side as I am writing and the showcar is all about the flat hood and reduced grille height with the more

trapazoidal ends. If the bumper shelf was raised just the right amount it would yield a wider lower profile look that is a bit more sneeky and menacing.

My 1989 Thunderbird had a nice low cowl with hidden wipers and a flat hood accross the width of the car. My 89 Tbird ended up getting the 1997 hood, nose and lamps and I always feel that was something Ford had done right. Still looking at that style now it does not look dated but still fresh and well proportioned. I have a neighbor accross the street with a 97 Tbird and I still appreciate the front and rear styling...The bird shaped grille, jeweled headlamps, full width taillamps that light up accross the whole rear... And that nicely raked windshield...

MKS grille on the Town Car might work?

AAAHHH MY EYES!!! STOP, STOP, AAAAHHHHHH!!!!!

Those are EXTREMELY ugly and should never be repeated again!

It reminded me of a 70's carshow where guys were using body fill and cardboard to make these stupid looking Barris wanna be cars. I still remember the 71 maverick with a 6ft tall superbird wing on the back and a pointed nose. All made of cardboard and bodyfill/fibreglass. :finger::banghead:

The eggcrate grille should just die... either they fix or just let it die in peace with the 61 Conti.

I like the way it looked on the Mark X showcar and I thought it would have looked better on the Continental show car from a few years ago. However I believe the eggcrate grilles for Lincoln are now a dead theme. I am suprised Lincoln does not have an emergency facelift for the MKX already.

That exact eggcrate grille pattern originated on Lincolns in the late 1950's. The 1960 Tbird picked up the theme as a facelift and tie in to Lincoln's influence. The grille pattern later showed up in the 1978 Fairmont Futura which was originaly designed to be a downsized Thunderbird in the first place. In 1987, the Thunderbird picked up the heavy chrome eggrate bars (without the finer eggcrate mesh behind it) as a simple tie in to the Tbird's past, along with the browed headlamps, smooth nose between them and triple round taillamps inspired by the 1960 model.

I think I agree with you assesment.

It's not serious... It's only a joke and I needed to come up with a replacement for the Focus based Lincoln Agitator I created a while back.

Nothing is an improvement for that thing they are calling a Focus... It looks cutesy Korea cheap with a look that would have been more apporpriate for the early 1990's. The back end looks like some ricer filled-in the taillamps where they look like they should have continued on the trunklid. The front end is completely wrong.

The coupe is what it is... Just a set of coupe quarter panels made to fit a sedan. It deserved much better and something more special. I prefer the original 3door hatchback but a coupe done right I would like too.

What is done is done... Bring on C2 already.

Edited by Watchdevil