Just picked up the Mrs. new 2008 Cadillac CTS

DoubleD

Wow, what a vehicle! Excellent fit and finish, great ride and handling, solid power from the new direct injection 3.6 V6 and the styling is fantastic - muscular and sleek, and instantly recognizable as a Cadillac. We looked at a number of vehicles including the Lincoln MK(insert random letter here) and the Caddy was the best overall value. Sad to say, but none of the Lincoln products was ever really in the running - a tarted up AWD Fusion just didn't have the stones to run with a RWD sports sedan on any level - interior, styling, performance, etc. Kind of makes me sad as all I've ever owned was Ford products (Dad worked at FoMoCo for 34 years), but the product just isn't there.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congrats on the new purchase. I've had a chance to get my hands on a CTS and my overall impression has improved. I too agree with you regarding the current product lineup of Lincoln, and still lament to this day that the LS isn't around anymore.

Having said that, why is it that when people go on and on about why they didn't purchase a Ford product as if they are trying to justify. If you felt the purchase was a sound one, why hate on the MK(whatever)? I'm sure you have those that feel the same way about the CTS.

Not so much "hate on" as disappointment in missed opportunities. And the MK insert random letter naming convention is nearly as dumb as the "all alliteration, all the time" nonsense on the Ford side of the house.

So what your saying that *TS insert first letter of sedan name is better than MK* insert last letter of Lincoln vehicle name. Right.

On top of that, MKZ and CTS are not aimed at the same people. Some people do not like rear drive sports sedans. I know its hard for some people to beleive that, but some people would not even consider the CTS and would look at the likes of the TL, MKZ and ES350.

How is the engine noise in the Caddy? I hear its pretty bad.

Edited by suv_guy_19

Actually its quiet as tomb. Not sure how it compares to a badge-engineered Fusion, however.

And for the record, badge engineering is rebadging the same or modestly revised vehicle. An MKZ is far from a badge engineered Fusion, there are quite a few things different inside and out.

I like how this is turning into a pissing match. Humorous from both angles.

Edited by Michael Reynolds

Yeah. Because we all know a different engine and front clip makes a totally different car. Just ask GM with it's 5 new CUV's. :rolleyes:

Yes, because that's all Ford did with the MKZ.

And for the record, I'm not a fan of the MKZ.....there are a few things that Ford needs to address on that car before I would even consider it. Having said that there are quite a few discernible differences from the inside and out, if you miss out on them then obviously you haven't bothered to go anywhere near the car to find out.

This is a first gen model, if Ford doesn't do more to differentiate the vehicle come refresh then there is an issue. There are plenty of 2007 CTS' on dealer lots to remind everyone how horrible the first gens were.

Actually its quiet as tomb. Not sure how it compares to a badge-engineered Fusion, however.

By the way, i really like the new CTS, but I also like the MKZ. It to me, and to most does not really resemble the Fusion at all. People who buy one car would probably not like the other, thats just he way it is.

Edited by suv_guy_19

Having said that there are quite a few discernible differences from the inside and out, if you miss out on them then obviously you haven't bothered to go anywhere near the car to find out.

I've driven both of my dad's Fusions, and the MkZ lease he turned in a few months ago. I know what is different, and what isn't.

How many of them have you driven?

I've driven both of my dad's Fusions, and the MkZ lease he turned in a few months ago. I know what is different, and what isn't.

How many of them have you driven?

Well obviously you are blind as a bat, or didn't bother to take notice to the differences btwn the two vehicles. BTW I've driven my other half's parent's Zephyr many of times (we were in Michigan for a wedding so we had the car pretty much all weekend last week).

i have been in MKZ, CTS and a a fews older LS... CTS and MKZ are totally different CTS seems "Richer" too the feel compared to MKZ.. also way different driving dynamics RWD to FWD.. i will tell ya this, they both suck compared to the LS V8 i drove, that includes my Badge Engineered 06 Fusion lol... explain to me why ford killed the LS again?

apples to apples.. i havent driven a GM midsize V6 car i would take over Fusion anyday... only other i would consider after driving all the midders??? altima.. nice nice car. all gm, vw, dodge, toy, hon, hyn bland and boring compared to my fuison imho.. but the altima was very nice.

Wow, what a vehicle! Excellent fit and finish, great ride and handling, solid power from the new direct injection 3.6 V6 and the styling is fantastic - muscular and sleek, and instantly recognizable as a Cadillac. We looked at a number of vehicles including the Lincoln MK(insert random letter here) and the Caddy was the best overall value. Sad to say, but none of the Lincoln products was ever really in the running - a tarted up AWD Fusion just didn't have the stones to run with a RWD sports sedan on any level - interior, styling, performance, etc. Kind of makes me sad as all I've ever owned was Ford products (Dad worked at FoMoCo for 34 years), but the product just isn't there.

lease or purchase?

Congrats! I hope you enjoy it. Ive seen one on the road, and there are several at the Caddy dealer. I haven't seent he interior yet in person though.

They look good.

Edited by rmc523