Behind 'Bold Moves'

From a Detroit News article today:

Sources familiar with the situation say the problem with the "Bold Moves" campaign was that it was not backed up by bold actions.

When the idea was first presented to Ford executives, Ford's marketing agency proposed 75 different bold moves to get consumers' attention and make the new tagline more than just talk. These included offering a 100,000 mile warranty, a 30-day money-back guarantee or carbon offset cards for all purchasers of new Fords.

Marketing involves more than just commercials. As this snippet indicates, the Bold Moves marketing campaign required other actions besides just new TV commercials

Full article here:

http://detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?A.../709210344/1148

IMO Codina, coming up through service, was hardly in a position to fix Ford's marketing issues. Still, with 30 years in, and a decent retirement package, there are worse ways to be eased out. He also leaves with the respect of the dealers, which is pretty tough to get.

That's not marketing, that's advertising.

The carbon offset cards are interesting. I wonder what they cost, as they would be a great regional incentive for Focus & the hybrids.

True but marketing and advertising go hand and hand. Having said that, product is the key. You could kiss babies, shake hands, give-a-way the kitchen sink and advertise day in and out......but if your product sucks, well.........

And ANTAUS, do you mean a full 100K mile warranty or powertrain?

True but marketing and advertising go hand and hand. Having said that, product is the key. You could kiss babies, shake hands, give-a-way the kitchen sink and advertise day in and out......but if your product sucks, well.........

how bout this...check the appropriate box....special financing OR Rebate OR free extended warranty ( bumper to bumper ) OR free gas for a year ( mileage restricted of course ).........

how bout this...check the appropriate box....special financing OR Rebate OR free extended warranty ( bumper to bumper ) OR free gas for a year ( mileage restricted of course ).........

Don't think that one would work....

You'd have a lot of customers who would say "Well I'd get the extended warranty AND the special financing AND the rebate at your competitor down the street."

Your suggestion would only really work if all the other automakers decided to play along...and we know how likely that is.

Don't think that one would work....

You'd have a lot of customers who would say "Well I'd get the extended warranty AND the special financing AND the rebate at your competitor down the street."

Your suggestion would only really work if all the other automakers decided to play along...and we know how likely that is.

I don't know about that.......average it out...2k rebate, or warranty ( cost approx 15-1600 ) or 2k in gas....NO-ONE is throwing rebates and warranties TOGETHER at anyone....the gas was just a side-bar...heres another.....free maintenence as another choice...........and screw the other manufacturers...be FIRST with something for a change....force THEM to follow....

Edited by Deanh

I don't know about that.......average it out...2k rebate, or warranty ( cost approx 15-1600 ) or 2k in gas....NO-ONE is throwing rebates and warranties TOGETHER at anyone....the gas was just a side-bar...heres another.....free maintenence as another choice...........and screw the other manufacturers...be FIRST with something for a change....force THEM to follow....

Are you talking 100,000 bumper-to-bumper? Because I'm sure you're aware of how many other automakers offer a 100K powertrain warranty now regardless of the rebates. Even then, do most customers even pay attention close enough to notice the difference between bumper-to-bumper and only powertrain?

Are you talking 100,000 bumper-to-bumper? Because I'm sure you're aware of how many other automakers offer a 100K powertrain warranty now regardless of the rebates. Even then, do most customers even pay attention close enough to notice the difference between bumper-to-bumper and only powertrain?

of course Bumper to bumper....it would be in fords favor as well, not too many keep their cars to that mileage....and YES they do pay attention.....especially when something goes wrong to something OTHER than what is powertrain coverage.....

post-394-1120878631_thumb.jpg

How about they up the bumper-to-bumper from 36K to 40K? In reality that shouldn't add too much expense.... but it does cross the psychological threshold from "3" to "4".

100K Powertrains are nothing new and really are pretty much expected, whether they are warrantied or not. But a 40K "fiddly bits" warranty would be different, is enough of a baby step increment from 36 to not cost too terribly much, yet might stand out in a customer's head (in the same manner that a price ending in "9" does)

Just an idea.

post-394-1120878800_thumb.jpg

post-394-1120879368_thumb.jpg

I would first like some facts first on what would work better all around. I've always pressed for Ford to maybe look at extending their bumper to bumper warranty from 3/36K to possibly 4/50K, and their luxury makes at 5/60K.

In other words, instead of slapping a $2-5K rebate, I would prefer a year extra on warranty. I believe it adds value and doesn't depreciate the vehicle.

"Until a replacement is found, Ford Americas President Mark Fields will oversee North American marketing, sales and service."

This is Mr.Fields specialty yes?

Together, Codina and Fields helped put together the "Bold Moves" marketing campaign.

Launched in April of 2006, "Bold Moves" was designed to change the way people thought about Ford. Instead of focusing on products and features.

"You can have the best marketing team money can buy, but if the product doesn't live up to the marketing and consumers' own experiences doesn't justify that marketing message, it will not succeed," said Jesse Toprak, executive director of industry analysis for Edmunds. "It's all about product."

What say you RJ who would you go with Codina and Fields, or Jesse Toprak?

I agree Antaus, warranty does add value, and probably helps with depreciation. Would be good timing for Ford to offer a market best warranty program, with all the recent publicity regarding Ford reducing its warranty costs by $700 million during the first half of the year.

People that I have spoken with regarding new car warranties, consider this as a major point when shopping new cars.

Edited by MKII

this guy is a long-term failure as far as I'm concerned and indicative of many of the problems at Ford over the past 5-10 years.

"popular with dealers"?? what the heck is THAT? you'd think someone who could actually sell cars would be a lot more popular...

and while Ford Challenge is a great idea, the newness will wear off entirely too quickly and it's not a large enough marketing idea. even though they've tried to extend it to the entire brand it should be considered more of a micro- campaign, one part of a much much grander overall marketing strategy. like I said, indicative of Ford's recent problems. and everyone knows Bold Moves didn't really accomplish much, even if it was a nice change of pace from whatever awful slogans came immediately before it. the "Bored Moves" signature spells this out well. it was a good concept, but there wasn't enough product that proved it with the exception of the '05 Mustang and Ford GT halo car.

out with the old in with the new... in a way I can't believe it's taking this long to get rid of a few the remaining old codgers clogging up the works.

Edited by bri719

this guy is a long-term failure as far as I'm concerned and indicative of many of the problems at Ford over the past 5-10 years.

and while Ford Challenge is a great idea, the newness will wear off entirely too quickly and it's not a large enough marketing idea

1) Who are you going to blame? Someone with no experience in marketing being suddenly handed a division with major marketing issues, or the guy that put him there? Besides, I wonder if you have any idea how poisoned the dealer/mfr relationship was in the wake of Nasser's reign of terror.

2) Ford Challenge is NOT a marketing idea. It's an advertising campaign. The two terms are NOT synonyms. As such it's actually pretty effective. Provided the ad buys are appropriate (the right people seeing the right ads at the right time).

Edited by RichardJensen

1) Who are you going to blame? Someone with no experience in marketing being suddenly handed a division with major marketing issues, or the guy that put him there? Besides, I wonder if you have any idea how poisoned the dealer/mfr relationship was in the wake of Nasser's reign of terror.

2) Ford Challenge is NOT a marketing idea. It's an advertising campaign. The two terms are NOT synonyms. As such it's actually pretty effective. Provided the ad buys are appropriate (the right people seeing the right ads at the right time).

nope, I don't know enough to answer #1 but I can see where you're going with it. and I'm sure it was poisoned after Nasser, wasn't everything??

#2 you're helping make my point :) I think we're somewhat in agreement here. Bold Moves isn't gone, but it's invisible - by and large Ford Challenge is making up the majority of all marketing efforts. it shouldn't be a marketing campaign, but I'm seeing a void where there needs to be a larger strategy. so if Ford Challenge is a child of Bold Moves, someone explain to me how Bold Moves is being effectively used or even communicated to the potential customer? cuz all I'm seeing are the Challenge ads as far as brand marketing goes right now, and a few individual campaigns (i.e. Edge) that have since ended.

just curious :shades:

Ford has abandoned the 'image' ads, and they're only running the 'Challenge' spots. But that doesn't make the 'Challenge' spots marketing. They're still just advertising. It means that Ford really has no visible marketing strategy (although their products are finally starting to come together as a cohesive, identifiable, whole, indicative of some collective forethought at that end).

Ultimately, as the article points out, 'Bold Moves' has to be more than image ads, but they aren't there yet.

A CMO should have the weight to get some 'Bold Moves' from the company to match the tag line.

---

Dealer relations: Nasser's lieutenants wanted all the rural Ford dealerships closed. There are some rural dealerships that assume Ford -still- wants all the rural dealerships gone. These small town dealers far outnumber the metro dealers, they tend to have a long history with Ford, and they are quite vocal on the national level.

Dealers everywhere were irritated about the Blue Oval Certified program as well.

6 Words:

HAVE YOU DRIVEN A FORD LATELY?

Now is the time to use it...

I remember when this was a popular ad. I saw a spoof of it on one of the comedy shows ( I think it was SNL ).

The guy with the mic asked the guy next to him: "HAVE YOU DRIVEN A FORD LATELY?"

The guy looked down and took his hat off and said in a sad voice "No" as he looked over his shoulder.

The camera panned to see a Ford car being towed off with a wrecker and the guy added " And I own one...."

It was a cheap shot, but very funny....

Edited by sranger