2009 Escape/Mariner/Tribute

ds91776

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only thing that the CX-7 needs is a diet. But then, most vehicles need that IMHO. The numbers on that engine and tranny combo are plenty for that size vehicle. If it was my world to tune, I'd up the final drive ration by another .5, and then space out the 6AT ratios by a touch all the way up keeping the first gear ratio the same. It'd have a little more pull on the bottom end, second wouldn't be as much of a penalty before the boost hits. Would improve it around town.

So we'll have a 185HP 2.5L I4 coming soon? What the deal with the 2.5L engine in the new Mazda6?

I really hope they different engines, IIRC the 2.5L in the 6 has 170HP. Maybe Mazda is being anal about engines again? The 3.7L in the CX-9 isn't the same the LD37 (Lincoln-Duratec).

I really hope they different engines, IIRC the 2.5L in the 6 has 170HP. Maybe Mazda is being anal about engines again? The 3.7L in the CX-9 isn't the same the LD37 (Lincoln-Duratec).

The 2.5 in the Mazda with the information released so far is for the European market and the 2.5 is tuned for better torque in the mostly used ranges, something that lacks in the Honda's I4s. The information for the JDM Mazda6/Atzena hasn't been released yet, but remember the current JDM Atenza 2.3 makes 175PS (173hp). Mazda will release infomation on an all new 2.0 I4 at the Tokoyo Motor Show with direct injection that should get 15 to 20 percent better hp rating that will reveal the new lines of Mazda's I4s.

• 2 weeks later...

Escape and Mariner are getting the 3.5. The 3.0 phase out is moving more rapidly. No PIP 3.0. The Cleveland engine complex will be closed and the property sold. All 3.5 production will be at Lima.

Potential JLR bidders are being offered the 3.0 production line. They would need it for the S type.

post-19688-1125762862_thumb.jpg

Escape and Mariner are getting the 3.5. The 3.0 phase out is moving more rapidly. No PIP 3.0. The Cleveland engine complex will be closed and the property sold. All 3.5 production will be at Lima.

Potential JLR bidders are being offered the 3.0 production line. They would need it for the S type.

good to hear ..I assume 6speed comes with the 3.5l

Igor

good to hear ..I assume 6speed comes with the 3.5l

Igor

The Escape needs the 2.5 way more than it needs the 3.5. 4-cylinders are where the volume is in this segment, and from what I've heard, the Escape is almost unbearably slow with this engine. The 3.5 will also be extremely helpful on the top end.

As much as Ford needs the Kuga right now, tuning the Escape and giving it the right tools for the job will hold the sales line for a few years.

The best news is that the 3.5L will be rolled out faster than originally planned. That's a good sign that other improvements will also be fast-tracked.

It may also explain why the Fusion refresh may have been pushed back to 2010 - to get the new engines ready.

The Escape needs the 2.5 way more than it needs the 3.5. 4-cylinders are where the volume is in this segment, and from what I've heard, the Escape is almost unbearably slow with this engine. The 3.5 will also be extremely helpful on the top end.

As much as Ford needs the Kuga right now, tuning the Escape and giving it the right tools for the job will hold the sales line for a few years.

Current volume mix: I4 only 30%, v6 60% and 10% hybrids. With a 180HP 2.5I4+6auto combo, the mix could shift to maybe 60%I4, 20%3.5V6 and 20% hybrids (just my guess).

The best news is that the 3.5L will be rolled out faster than originally planned. That's a good sign that other improvements will also be fast-tracked.

It may also explain why the Fusion refresh may have been pushed back to 2010 - to get the new engines ready.

Do you have a scource for your second statement? Didn't Igor say earlier Job 1 for the Fusion is the spring and D35 in the fall?

Overall, the rollout of the D35 is good news even though it's taken a couple of swipes from the media "Not the jewel it's made out to be" and "Not as refined as VQ35/37...." yada yada yada. I personally haven't heard or seen it myself so I cannot say.

As for a new 2.5 I4 (possible TF), mix that with a real manual and of course a good 6F, you'd have a very good combo. I've driven the 08 Escape and I like it. It deserves a new powertrain.

Do you have a scource for your second statement? Didn't Igor say earlier Job 1 for the Fusion is the spring and D35 in the fall?

Overall, the rollout of the D35 is good news even though it's taken a couple of swipes from the media "Not the jewel it's made out to be" and "Not as refined as VQ35/37...." yada yada yada. I personally haven't heard or seen it myself so I cannot say.

As for a new 2.5 I4 (possible TF), mix that with a real manual and of course a good 6F, you'd have a very good combo. I've driven the 08 Escape and I like it. It deserves a new powertrain.

Both he and Igor have been hearing rumors of this unfortunately. Even to me its a little disheartening.

I have an inside source that said it got pushed back. Igor was going to check his sources but hasn't reported back yet. This was covered in the 2009 Fusion prediction thread.

I have an inside source that said it got pushed back. Igor was going to check his sources but hasn't reported back yet. This was covered in the 2009 Fusion prediction thread.

Just what Ford needs. Keep an underperforming car on the market a year LONGER. That'll cure all its ills. Dumb fucks. :banghead:

n/m Akirby already responded .. I have not yet heard back from my source ... I doubt it however ... the Hybrid is in LA in a month - debuting a Hybrid, D35 and new engines AHEAD of the body change would be idiotic even by Ford standards.

Igor

Edited by igor

n/m Akirby already responded .. I have not yet heard back from my source ... I doubt it however ... the Hybrid is in LA in a month - debuting a Hybrid, D35 and new engines AHEAD of the body change would be idiotic even by Ford standards.

Igor

I really hope you're right.

Igor

No less idiotic than launching the new engines AFTER the body change like the FH/Taurus and Escape. :doh:

semi bad news - my source just got spooked - Ford is cracking down on leaks .. so no more info on the Fusion program .. we will have to wait until the reveal in a month ...

I guess my article on autosavant hit too close to home ;) should have revealed a little less and maybe I would have still had my source.

Igor

no I think putting engines in OLD bodies is WORSE than making new bodies with old engines ...

Igor

Good points from both you and Nick. Good debate right there in itself. As for the Hybrid, is the I4 still the same one in the Escape Hybrid or is it the next generation I heard about? Personally, I hope your right that the rumor of this spring is true. Is it been shown in Detroit or NY?