Ford pressures premium brands

Biker16

James Franey

Automotive News Europe

October 1, 2007 -- 06:01 CET

The Ford S-Max is set to beat its first-year sales target, in part because it is pulling buyers from premium brands.

The large minivan is stealing buyers from Audi, BMW and Mercedes-Benz, said Stephen Odell, Ford of Europe’s vice president for marketing, sales and service.

“We are seeing a greater conversion away from premium brands than we thought we would ever see,” Odell told Automotive News Europe in a telephone interview.

Figures from UK-based market researchers JATO Dynamics show that Ford sold 47,718 S-Max units in the first seven months of 2007, its first full year of sales.

When Ford launched the S-Max in May 2006, Ford officials told ANE they wanted to produce 60,000 annually.

Odell stressed that attracting premium brand customers is not the S-Max’s goal and that the automaker will continue to concentrate on its core customers.

“In no way, are we positioning ourselves as a premium brand, but it’s nice to think that we can attract those kinds of people,” he said.

Odell credited the S-Max’s styling and its “visual impact” with the minivan’s success.

The S-Max is one of three vehicles to adopt what Ford calls “kinetic” design language -- a styling theme that has seen its lineup take on a muscular, sporty appearance. The Ford Mondeo and Galaxy share the S-Max’s vehicle platform and are built in the same plant in Genk, Belgium. All three vehicles have been well received.

Ford hit the ‘bull’s-eye’

Nick Margetts, an auto analyst at JATO Dynamics’ office in Cologne, Germany, said styling is a key element for bringing new customers to the brand.

“Ford has hit an absolute bull’s-eye in terms of design. The S-Max is not tainted by the boxy, minivan look. It drives well. It looks good, and it has been well thought out. This combination of factors is enough to pull customers from established premium brands,” Margetts said.

Paul Nieuwenhuis, director of the Centre for Automotive Industry Research at Cardiff University in Wales, says the problem with most minivans is that they are too van-like.

“Many people who buy minivans really want the handling characteristics of a car but also want to retain the practicality of a van. The closer you can get to that, the more you will sell,” he told ANE.

Mercedes-Benz expected its R class would attract some of the same premium buyers who are now purchasing the S-Max. The R clas.....

The Ford S-Max (top) has passed the Renault Espace to become Europe’s best-selling large minivan.

S-Max success shakes Renault’s confidence

Ford’s hot seller has forced minivan leader to consider sleeker, sportier vans

Wim Oude Weernink

Automotive News Europe

The company that made the minivan a star in Europe has a problem.

Renault is under pressure to change its minivans to keep pace with hot-selling, sleeker, sportier models from rivals.

“Following the Ford S-Max’s success, we may have to reconsider our minivan lineup,” said Patrick Blain, Renault executive vice president for sales and marketing.

A Renault source told Automotive News Europe that the company would concentrate on developing crossover models to prevent any overlap with existing products.

“The design will be less boxy, more of a crossover between a van, and SUVs like the Mercedes-Benz R class and Audi Q7,” said the source.

Similar styling has helped the S-Max pass the Renault Espace/Grand Espace as Europe’s top-selling large minivan thro

James Franey

Automotive News Europe

The Ford S-Max is set to beat its first-year sales target, in part because it is pulling buyers from premium brands.

The large minivan is stealing buyers from Audi, BMW and Mercedes-Benz, said Stephen Odell, Ford of Europe’s vice president for marketing, sales and service.

“We are seeing a greater conversion away from premium brands than we thought we would ever see,” Odell told Automotive News Europe in a telephone interview.

Figures from UK-based market researchers JATO Dynamics show that Ford sold 47,718 S-Max units in the first seven months of 2007, its first full year of sales.

When Ford launched the S-Max in May 2006, Ford officials told ANE they wanted to produce 60,000 annually.

Odell stressed that attracting premium brand customers is not the S-Max’s goal and that the automaker will continue to concentrate on its core customers.

“In no way, are we positioning ourselves as a premium brand, but it’s nice to think that we can attract those kinds of people,” he said.

Odell credited the S-Max’s styling and its “visual impact” with the minivan’s success.

The S-Max is one of three vehicles to adopt what Ford calls “kinetic” design language -- a styling theme that has seen its lineup take on a muscular, sporty appearance. The Ford Mondeo and Galaxy share the S-Max’s vehicle platform and are built in the same plant in Genk, Belgium. All three vehicles have been well received.

Ford hit the ‘bull’s-eye’

Nick Margetts, an auto analyst at JATO Dynamics’ office in Cologne, Germany, said styling is a key element for bringing new customers to the brand.

“Ford has hit an absolute bull’s-eye in terms of design. The S-Max is not tainted by the boxy, minivan look. It drives well. It looks good, and it has been well thought out. This combination of factors is enough to pull customers from established premium brands,” Margetts said.

Paul Nieuwenhuis, director of the Centre for Automotive Industry Research at Cardiff University in Wales, says the problem with most minivans is that they are too van-like.

“Many people who buy minivans really want the handling characteristics of a car but also want to retain the practicality of a van. The closer you can get to that, the more you will sell,” he told ANE.

Mercedes-Benz expected its R class would attract some of the same premium buyers who are now purchasing the S-Max. The R clas.....

The Ford S-Max (top) has passed the Renault Espace to become Europe’s best-selling large minivan.

S-Max success shakes Renault’s confidence

Ford’s hot seller has forced minivan leader to consider sleeker, sportier vans

Wim Oude Weernink

Automotive News Europe

The company that made the minivan a star in Europe has a problem.

Renault is under pressure to change its minivans to keep pace with hot-selling, sleeker, sportier models from rivals.

“Following the Ford S-Max’s success, we may have to reconsider our minivan lineup,” said Patrick Blain, Renault executive vice president for sales and marketing.

A Renault source told Automotive News Europe that the company would concentrate on developing crossover models to prevent any overlap with existing products.

“The design will be less boxy, more of a crossover between a van, and SUVs like the Mercedes-Benz R class and Audi Q7,” said the source.

Similar styling has helped the S-Max pass the Renault Espace/Grand Espace as Europe’s top-selling large minivan thro

02.jpg

This is this Renault Espace thing?

No wonder people are buying the S-Max?!?!

Ford-S-Max-6-lg.jpg

02.jpg

This is this Renault Espace thing?

No wonder people are buying the S-Max?!?!

Ford-S-Max-6-lg.jpg

It looks good with the exception of that obnoxious EU license plate. I kept mine off of my car even though it's required by my state, simply because it hides the true beauty of my Fusion's front fascia because it hides the lower grill! DSCI0211.jpgDSCI0210.jpgDSCI0208.jpgDSCI0206.jpg

It looks good with the exception of that obnoxious EU license plate. I kept mine off of my car even though it's required by my state, simply because it hides the true beauty of my Fusion's front fascia because it hides the lower grill! DSCI0211.jpgDSCI0210.jpgDSCI0208.jpgDSCI0206.jpg

I think the EU license plates are better looking than our US ones. Front plates aren't required here in Florida. Thank goodness!! I hate them. Nice looking Fusion. Is that backhoe your weekend getaway car (cuz of gas mileage)?!?:hysterical:

I think the EU license plates are better looking than our US ones. Front plates aren't required here in Florida. Thank goodness!! I hate them. Nice looking Fusion. Is that backhoe your weekend getaway car (cuz of gas mileage)?!?:hysterical:

No the city decided to rip up my street to upgrade the sewer that I'm paying for in taxes. They told me I would have a new sidewalk next year, thanks allot I said! :banghead:

As the owner of a Mazda5 and S-Max proponent - I'll say it again:

Why isn't this available in the US???

I know it can't be shipped here. I know EUCD isn't currently produced here.

This is a hot car with a market ready and waiting here in the US.

And it would fit in well in the lineup:

Focus, Fusion, Taurus, S-Max, Escape, Edge, Taurus X, Flex, Explorer...

Right in the middle, a kind of "Goldilocks car" if you will...

But it's fully developed, sharp, attractive, unique, and would garner lots of attention.

Scott

But it's fully developed, sharp, attractive, unique, and would garner lots of attention.

Scott

I'm sure they have plans for it, but right now I think the company is focusing their efforts on our national contract, as it is taking up much of Alan's time. It will be good for all of us the company/union once we can put the negotiations behind us and focus on our vehicles! I'm ready to go back to satisfying our customers with quality products (not that I haven't been doing it all along)! Just that I hate contract time!

Scott

I agree.

the euro is worth 1.42$

post-2855-1191250134_thumb.png

Let me say this again ..

the S-Max is a Minivan with no sliding rear doors and not fully useable 3rd row (it is a 5+2 seater - not 7 seater) ..

People who do not care that much about the 3rd row and want something sporty in US want a HOOD and SUV look - not MINIVAN look.

People who settle for the minivan mono-box look, want sliding doors and full third row.

The S-max is a complete ill-match for the US consumers ...I am sure the next S-max and Edge will be practically the same car - but as long as people are willing to pay $5k extra for the SUV look over the minivan - the S-max will make exactly ZERO sense for the US market - even the Galaxy makes MUCH more sense as a US model than the S-max - at least it has more space, it more practical and has full third row - it still lacks sliders though.

Igor

Edited by igor

My bestfriend has a Mazda5, and she loves it. It served specifically what she needed at the pricepoint she wanted.

Although while it was selling well at first, sales have slowed quite a bit. So thats my only reserve. And really, all it needs is an extra gear which is getting this year, and maybe about 20-30 more horses and it should attract more people.

Let me say this again ..

the S-Max is a Minivan with no sliding rear doors and not fully useable 3rd row (it is a 5+2 seater - not 7 seater) ..

People who do not care that much about the 3rd row and want something sporty in US want a HOOD and SUV look - not MINIVAN look.

People who settle for the minivan mono-box look, want sliding doors and full third row.

The S-max is a complete ill-match for the US consumers ...I am sure the next S-max and Edge will be practically the same car - but as long as people are willing to pay $5k extra for the SUV look over the minivan - the S-max will make exactly ZERO sense for the US market - even the Galaxy makes MUCH more sense as a US model than the S-max - at least it has more space, it more practical and has full third row - it still lacks sliders though.

Igor

Agree and disagree:

Agree, the Galaxy (with S-Max styling) makes more sense in the US.

Disagree: 5+2 is a turn off - hasn't hurt any 3-row SUV that I know of.

Disagree: no sliders are a turnoff - hasn't hurt any 3-row SUV & the Flex is coming as a swing-out door vehicle.

As much as I prefer sliders, swing-outs seem to be preferable.

Disagree: SUV look is out - CUVs are getting swoopier & more stylish. The S-Max has that oh-so-desirable European look.

Premise: if the S-Max could be delivered in the US with European styling, European road manners, and American value

it would be a hit. Buyers are looking for something new, the S-Max could hit the market in a big way.

My bestfriend has a Mazda5, and she loves it. It served specifically what she needed at the pricepoint she wanted.

Although while it was selling well at first, sales have slowed quite a bit. So thats my only reserve. And really, all it needs is an extra gear which is getting this year, and maybe about 20-30 more horses and it should attract more people.

Mazda5 sales have slowed to a crawl and it's most likely not being renewed next go-around.

Very much a shame, as the Mazda5 is brilliant in most ways. But a different vehicle (and the Mazda5 is different!)

needs a marketing campaign to tell people what it is. People still have no idea what my car is and how compact yet

roomy & capable it is. But ask them about a RAV4 or CR-V or Escape and they know exactly what it can do. Mazda's

idea of "marketing" the Mazda5 is a spot on the mazdausa.com website, a dealer brochure, and a three-second

spot on "My Name Is Earl." And it isn't working you say? Shocking!

The Mazda5 could be a much bigger hit. It's needs more power (2.5L MZR), more gears (5-speed automatic), better

fuel economy, an advertising & marketing campaign, and dealer training.

But alas it will be a soon-forgotten footnote in the automotive landscape.

Too, too bad.

Scott

Just to tell you the real impact this vehicle has - friend of mine is a manger in Ford UK and tells me that the S-Max is off the management car scheme because of customer demand - here in Europe FMC seems focused on profit and the guys at the top are telling all management that "hey - we've got real customers here to buy this car with real money, so sorry guys, you can't have one unless you buy it."

I've driven one of these - top of the range 2.5 petrol - sorry, gas - manual. If I were in the market for this kinda vehicle I'd buy it. For has a winner here, and the new Mondeo looks to be the same.

A very nice and smart move by Ford of Europe was to offer S-Max customers the option called "Ford Individual" back in 2007 in the

test markets of Germany & Switzerland, with much success

And will offer this across the Euro markets this year adding the Mondeo and Galaxy variants.

Besides making money on the car sales, the smart bastards are making

moneies on the cosmetics mods.

http://media.ford.com/translate/article_di...rticle_id=26958 (media release for the 2007 S-Max

'Ford Individual' is starting with pilot market programmes in Germany and Switzerland.

The first product to be featured will be the Ford S-MAX, Car of the Year 2007.

Among the packages available will be one that features leather trim throughout the interior.

'Ford Individual' features three different themes, sporty, luxury or hitec.

The 'sporty line' was designed with Ford's ST range of performance cars in mind.

It features distinctive styles of alloy wheels and spoilers, as well as interior packages with alloy pedals and scuff plates.

http://www.ford.de/ie/s-max/sm_individual/..._pop/popup/4/5/

http://www.ford.de/ie/s-max/sm_individual/.../popup/4/61128/

http://www.ford.de/ie/s-max/sm_individual/...31e/popup/4/36/

http://www.ford.de/ie/s-max/sm_individual/...pop/popup/4/10/

http://media.ford.com/newsroom/release_dis...m?release=26790 (media release from Frankfurt 2007 IAA)

NEW FORD MONDEO AND GALAXY TO GET THE 'FORD INDIVIDUAL' TREATMENT

'Ford Individual' programme for large car personalisation to be extended Europe-wide

'Ford Individual' concepts showcased on new Mondeo and Galaxy at Frankfurt Motor Show

Orange interior trim colour added to already available 'S-MAX Individual' production range

in German, but has a quick video clip from Frankfurt showing a "Ford Individual" look

http://www.automanager.de/Ford/iaa07ford7.htm

Edited by MKII

Scott

It would "fit" into the Mercury lineup even better....