Spy Photos: 2009 Ford F-150

DetroitWonk

I can see the grill and headlights, and so can you, this is Ford's bread and butter, they can't afford to run people away due to the ugliness. Remember, the new SD is considered hideous and a horrible design by virtually everyone outside of the Ford plants that post here, in other words, their actual customers. For some reason, Ford thinks they need to make everything look like a Super duty over the past several years, even the Ranger has been fitted with a SD looking grill. The SD front end looks gaudy, old, and sloppy, I can't imagine what kind of drugs Ford is using to think that's a good design theme to put on the 09 F-150, especially in a time when the competition is tougher than ever. I was hoping they'd improve the current design, and be the first on the block to use projector type headlights. And PC is right about the interior, it looks like a butchered mix of 04 parts, a few new Expy parts, and some buttons and dials in the center stack off the Flex and Focus. And again I was right and Igor was wrong about those hideous buttons on the steering wheel, he said no new Ford's would be using those old eyesore's, yet there they are on the 09 F-150. Plus that steering wheel with the Fusion inspired V-shaped groove/gap thing looks horrible and 1990's.

Ford is in no position to do "just good enough", remember what Mark Fields said, "change or die", I don't know if Ford design got that memo.

What other type of buttons are there to put on a steering wheel?

So what if Igor was wrong? Most of the time he is right, nobody is perfect.

I'd easily take this interior over any other truck. Chevy - not bad looking, but I like this better. Dodge - not even worth looking at. Toyota, Nissan, etc. - I wouldnt even consider a foreign truck, besides they're all ugly anyways.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why does quality and durability have to also be ugly? What on Earth is a "yuppie interior"? Isn't that what Toyota builds? And most F-150's I see are drive on the streets, by normal people, not everybody is a rancher or a farmer.

What's ugly about the new interior?

Actually, there is a 'truck' interior available on the Silverado as well:

07silverado4.jpg

It looks similar to the GMT800s.

SS_interior1_500.jpg

More so, at least, than the outgoing and incoming SDs and the '03 vs. '04 F150.

i realize that there is a 'truck' interior available, if anything that's a 'rehash' (according to pscario's definition)

Yeah, that center stack screams "functionality". :finger:

There really should be no guessing as to what the 150 is going to look like. The face is already out on the streets:

That center stack is the high end model (for those people it is "functional"). The base model are much more simple and "functional"

Oh please, other than the rounded shape the 09 looks nothing like the expy.

Oh please, other than the rounded shape the 09 looks nothing like the expy.

Head lights look to be identical

Fog lights look to be identical

Grille looks to be extremely similar

Yeah...I guess it doesn't look like the Expedition.

The only bit that does not copy the Expedition is the hood.

Nope

Most fog lights do

It won't when you actually see it

No, it doesn't

Well you got that one right

I guess everyones x-ray vision is a little off when it comes to looking through all that padding.

Plus your arguing with someone who has seen the truck without all the camo on it...people these days...

You do realise that Dearborn Derek works at an F-150 plant, right?

Plus your arguing with someone who has seen the truck without all the camo on it...people these days...

Not that Edmunds knows all, but they did mention in the article I posted earlier that they ‘seem’ to not take the Super Duty design route. Rather, the grill doesn’t share the resemblance of the Super Duty’s heavy bar and you really can’t even tell what shape the headlamps are. The camo seems to make it appear as the Expy’s but that may have been intentional to throw people off.

I for one think the interior looks superb and I personally don’t care if it is or isn’t the same as the Expy’s. I agree with Nick, if it works and looks good, why not share? Hell, even a mini version of this dash in the Ranger is welcome!. Rehash or not, it looks functional to me and rugged at the same time.

Not that Edmunds knows all, but they did mention in the article I posted earlier that they ‘seem’ to not take the Super Duty design route. Rather, the grill doesn’t share the resemblance of the Super Duty’s heavy bar and you really can’t even tell what shape the headlamps are. The camo seems to make it appear as the Expy’s but that may have been intentional to throw people off.

I was talking about Dearborn Derrek not Edmunds, he was at the polit plant putting the damn thing together ;)

I can see the grill and headlights, and so can you, this is Ford's bread and butter, they can't afford to run people away due to the ugliness. Remember, the new SD is considered hideous and a horrible design by virtually everyone outside of the Ford plants that post here, in other words, their actual customers. For some reason, Ford thinks they need to make everything look like a Super duty over the past several years, even the Ranger has been fitted with a SD looking grill. The SD front end looks gaudy, old, and sloppy, I can't imagine what kind of drugs Ford is using to think that's a good design theme to put on the 09 F-150, especially in a time when the competition is tougher than ever. I was hoping they'd improve the current design, and be the first on the block to use projector type headlights. And PC is right about the interior, it looks like a butchered mix of 04 parts, a few new Expy parts, and some buttons and dials in the center stack off the Flex and Focus. And again I was right and Igor was wrong about those hideous buttons on the steering wheel, he said no new Ford's would be using those old eyesore's, yet there they are on the 09 F-150. Plus that steering wheel with the Fusion inspired V-shaped groove/gap thing looks horrible and 1990's.

Ford is in no position to do "just good enough", remember what Mark Fields said, "change or die", I don't know if Ford design got that memo.

you are probably the only person on here that complains about the design of Ford's steering wheel buttons - they are about 5 years ahead of the rest of the trucks ... regardless - the spy pics make no reference to any improvements of tactile feedback, and built quality. I never expected Ford to radically change their steering wheel design - it is almost a signature piece of their cars and trucks - and the wheels are perfectly fine. The pics clearly show evolution of the design.

PS: PCsario with regard to this being too evolutionary - in a day and age, when the competition is still barely catching up, and offers NOTHING revolutionary, short of the Impala interior in GM trucks, the Ford design theme is perfectly fine- Ford will take the interior to another level with material and asembly and functionality - but the linear "tough luxury" design theme has become a landmark for Ford and it sells their trucks. The overall interior will seem familiar on pictures, but will be far superior functionally and "craftsmanship-ally" from the current interior. Again - Ford has made the interior design into a company identifier and it works - and works well - Ford is evolving it.

Igor

That is not a general public sale item. The mid box is not on the Reg, Super, Crew 09 model.

what do you mean? I was replaying to a post stating that steps behind cabs were not going to be offered. I was referring to a post recently from a KC employee who was the person who pointed this feature out on a series of test built that was ran through the plant. It was on double cab and super cab King Ranches that the plant built. That is all ... I have no further information.

Igor

I guess everyones x-ray vision is a little off when it comes to looking through all that padding.

Derek...change your call sign to PC and put some undisguised shots on the site...LOL.....PLEASE! Dying to see this damn thing...hope my high hopes are NOT shattered...question...is the bed as tall? and does it have fender flares and a tri-bar?.....I won't tell anyone, I promise........... :hysterical:

From the little I can tell in that spy shot, it appears the horizontal headlights are stacked upward as they are in the F250. But, in contrast, it doesn’t appear to have the turn signal lights stacked on the top which is what makes the F250 appear odd. It’s again the function over form thing where they do it to increase the radiator size so the bigger engines can breathe better.

Someone mentioned earlier that these things seem to just get bigger and bigger and bigger. Ultimately, I hope they remember to address those flat seats and really target comfort and driving dynamics (i.e. brakes, sound insulation, handling, etc).

I’m in the market for a full-size and I’ve been looking at some KR and HD F150s. I’d like to wait and see what Ford will offer this January. If they make it look hideous, I may just have to go with a new KR, HD, or (gulp) even a GMC.

From the little I can tell in that spy shot, it appears the horizontal headlights are stacked upward as they are in the F250. But, in contrast, it doesn’t appear to have the turn signal lights stacked on the top which is what makes the F250 appear odd. It’s again the function over form thing where they do it to increase the radiator size so the bigger engines can breathe better.

Someone mentioned earlier that these things seem to just get bigger and bigger and bigger. Ultimately, I hope they remember to address those flat seats and really target comfort and driving dynamics (i.e. brakes, sound insulation, handling, etc).

I’m in the market for a full-size and I’ve been looking at some KR and HD F150s. I’d like to wait and see what Ford will offer this January. If they make it look hideous, I may just have to go with a new KR, HD, or (gulp) even a GMC.

hold it........KR........talk about HIDEOUS! that interior is straight out of Bonanza after Hoss hit his head and started seeing all colors as one.........interior of that vehicle takes mis-mathching to a new high.....

hold it........KR........talk about HIDEOUS! that interior is straight out of Bonanza after Hoss hit his head and started seeing all colors as one.........interior of that vehicle takes mis-mathching to a new high.....

I can agree with you on that one (that's why I didn't buy it). The problem I'm having with the current F150s are that the seats LOOK nice, but seem flat and unsupportive. Correct me if I'm wrong, but all the seats in every single model (I need leather seating) are almost entirely the same! You really can't tell too much, but it appears that the seat in the concept looks different and that can be a good thing!

As far as the dash, it blows everything I've seen lately away. The 07 GMC felt very comfortable when I sat in it, but the dash reminds me of something out of Crown Victoria/Lumina/Impala. I forgot I was in a truck! On the contrary, that 09 F150 kinda reminds me of a Land Rover-type dash.

I can agree with you on that one (that's why I didn't buy it). The problem I'm having with the current F150s are that the seats LOOK nice, but seem flat and unsupportive. Correct me if I'm wrong, but all the seats in every single model (I need leather seating) are almost entirely the same! You really can't tell too much, but it appears that the seat in the concept looks different and that can be a good thing!

As far as the dash, it blows everything I've seen lately away. The 07 GMC felt very comfortable when I sat in it, but the dash reminds me of something out of Crown Victoria/Lumina/Impala. I forgot I was in a truck! On the contrary, that 09 F150 kinda reminds me of a Land Rover-type dash.

personally i find the seats in a regular Lariat nice, and they work for longer trips, that said the GAWDAWFUL KR seats are superb...if only they weren't the color SOMEONE signed off on....tan would have been WAYYYY superior. Chevy does make nice seats, at least when one sits in them initially...although I wonder about "soft" seats on long drives...Fords best right now, at least for me are the Edge...COMFY ......they just seem to fit me perfect.....dashes...Ford is tops in domestics, and I will even say that is an impartial comment...everything seems "right', Chevys haphazard...and NO comment on Dodges.........

I think they're using Expy seats now.

I'm not a big fan of the current F-150 seats. Even on the seat bottom's highest front setting and lowest rear setting, I still feel like I'm sitting ON the seat, rather than IN the seat. Hopefully this problem will be solved with the 09 models.

personally i find the seats in a regular Lariat nice, and they work for longer trips, that said the GAWDAWFUL KR seats are superb...if only they weren't the color SOMEONE signed off on....tan would have been WAYYYY superior. Chevy does make nice seats, at least when one sits in them initially...although I wonder about "soft" seats on long drives...Fords best right now, at least for me are the Edge...COMFY ......they just seem to fit me perfect.....dashes...Ford is tops in domestics, and I will even say that is an impartial comment...everything seems "right', Chevys haphazard...and NO comment on Dodges.........

I like the King Ranch seats. I think they make a nice contrast to the tan interior.

Edited by rmc523

I like the King Ranch seats. I think they make a nice contrast to the tan interior.

eeeek, all that car/ truck needs as a topper is chrome stacks and a set of steerhorns up front....yehah! We call it the Liberache package!

Edited by Deanh