Production Challenger shots

Anthony

The weak point of the current Mustang is the rear-end. I've said that since its introduction. For me, its a bit too "feminized" for my tastes and only the optional LeMans striping helps with the tremendous void between the taillights. For me, the best looking Mustang rear in many years was the 99-04 rear end, which ironically was the strongest styling point about the New Edge Mustang.

Now, for the Challenger. I applaud Chrysler for keeping this car close to its concept roots. My only major gripe is the trunklid spoiler which looks as if it doesn't belong and looks like something you could buy at Pep Boys. The rear end styling and taillights look 'acceptable' for this styling direction.

From what I've seen, I would not buy a Challenger immediately even if I had the money to do so. I would want to wait til '09 and consider the revised Mustang and the all-new Camaro. While the Challenger is a very hot looking car, I must say I kind of like the Camaro too and would like to see what Chevy comes up with for production.

The weak point of the current Mustang is the rear-end. I've said that since its introduction. For me, its a bit too "feminized" for my tastes and only the optional LeMans striping helps with the tremendous void between the taillights. For me, the best looking Mustang rear in many years was the 99-04 rear end, which ironically was the strongest styling point about the New Edge Mustang.

Now, for the Challenger. I applaud Chrysler for keeping this car close to its concept roots. My only major gripe is the trunklid spoiler which looks as if it doesn't belong and looks like something you could buy at Pep Boys. The rear end styling and taillights look 'acceptable' for this styling direction.

From what I've seen, I would not buy a Challenger immediately even if I had the money to do so. I would want to wait til '09 and consider the revised Mustang and the all-new Camaro. While the Challenger is a very hot looking car, I must say I kind of like the Camaro too and would like to see what Chevy comes up with for production.

I think they did a good job w/ it. I agree w/ you about the rear spoiler and taillights, not sure about the line between the brake light lenses though.

Can anybody tell if the grille has the Dodge cross (or whatever they call it) in it? I can't tell. I personally think it'd (and any Dodge vehicle) look weird w/out it.

I am disappointed that the SRT-8 version will have the 425hp 6.1L instead of the 500hp 6.4L. I would really be happier if Ford would make a lot more Shelby GT500's so that the dealers would quit asking for $20k over MSRP.

Ford dealer near me had an '07 GT500 in the showroom for MSRP. The demand for them simply isn't high enough to warrant building more them. There are also CAFE considerations to building more guzzlers than they already do.

Ford dealer near me had an '07 GT500 in the showroom for MSRP. The demand for them simply isn't high enough to warrant building more them. There are also CAFE considerations to building more guzzlers than they already do.

Give it to me, I'll sell it for at least 8k over in 3 days :shades:

I can't even see the pics but I like the new Challenger. I donn't think it will do much if anything to Mustang sales though. And with Fords next V6 with 415 hp, I wouldn't feel too threatened about HP numbers in the near future for Ford.

Edited by kevinb120

Give it to me, I'll sell it for at least 8k over in 3 days :shades:

I can't even see the pics but I like the new Challenger. I donn't think it will do much if anything to Mustang sales though. And with Fords next V6 with 415 hp, I wouldn't feel too threatened about HP numbers in the near future for Ford.

The V6 will have 415hp? Where'rd you get that number?

I think the Dodge Challenger will be strongest against the Mustang GT in its respective price structuring. Most V6 buyers will probably prefer 'Mustang' or 'Camaro' and the top end guys will not likely do as well against a Shelby or any possible Camaro SS lingering around. Dodge probably will move toward more competitive power with the SRT model, but likely figures that a fresh face and considerable horsepower will be enough to sell a few SRTs.

My guess is they want to go after the Mustang GT with the 5.7L Hemi which is reported to being going up in terms of horsepower and torque due to increased displacement and/or tuning.

Since the Challenger rolls down the same line with the 300, Charger and Magnum, the pressure to sell V6 models won't be as great as with Mustang. If they move horsepower up near 375-400 horsepower with the base Hemi, they could shake up the Mustang GT initially.

Stangs will have a price advantage on the Challenger and a weight advantage as well. The Challenger is being built off the 300/Charger platform. And that chassis is a porker. So even if it should be somewhat more powerful it will be heavier. And for sportiness, weight is the enemy.

As for the Camaro, numbers just don't add up. Chevy is going to have to build more of them than they say the will to break even, or they are going to have to raise the entry fee. Add to that the fact that they never, ever let the Camaro out power or out perform the Corvette. Period. And if they are to out power and out perform the GT 500 with the Camaro, they are going to have to give away the Vettes advantage over it's little sister. The GT 500 is already on the rear bumper performance and hp wise. So either they build a car inferior to the GT 500 or out perform their own product.

In either case, the Mustang can go to higher specific output engines. And or go to an independant suspension for the premium models and outperform them at their own game. Ford isn't going to go there in either case if it doesn't have to. They, management, is just waiting to see what the competition brings to the table. 2010 isn't that far off of the intro of the Camaro or the Challenger.

Stangs will have a price advantage on the Challenger and a weight advantage as well. The Challenger is being built off the 300/Charger platform. And that chassis is a porker. So even if it should be somewhat more powerful it will be heavier. And for sportiness, weight is the enemy.

As for the Camaro, numbers just don't add up. Chevy is going to have to build more of them than they say the will to break even, or they are going to have to raise the entry fee. Add to that the fact that they never, ever let the Camaro out power or out perform the Corvette. Period. And if they are to out power and out perform the GT 500 with the Camaro, they are going to have to give away the Vettes advantage over it's little sister. The GT 500 is already on the rear bumper performance and hp wise. So either they build a car inferior to the GT 500 or out perform their own product.

In either case, the Mustang can go to higher specific output engines. And or go to an independant suspension for the premium models and outperform them at their own game. Ford isn't going to go there in either case if it doesn't have to. They, management, is just waiting to see what the competition brings to the table. 2010 isn't that far off of the intro of the Camaro or the Challenger.

Presumably the Challenger R/T will weigh less than the other platform siblings. Furthermore, the LY may or may not weigh as much as the LX...I don't know that information. It may not weigh a lot less, but I'd be surprised to see the Challenger weigh more than 4000 pounds and if you look at power to weight ratios, it would need only 350 horsepower to equal the power to weight ratio (as rated) of the Mustang GT at its current rating. The 5.7 makes that now with the performance package on Charger. The S197 porked up some too compared to the New Edge SN95 it replaced. Probably it will come down to whether Ford does some power improvements and/or Dodge offers a 6 speed manual with the 5.7. The LX sedans with the Hemis are geared high at something like 3.23 ring and pinion. The Mustang GT has a 3.55 doesn't it? Not a big difference, but the gearing of the 6 speed probably will help the Challenger and it benefits from more torque, as well. In current form, it makes 390 lbs.-ft of torque. If you put that ahead of a T-56 and a 3.55 out back, it'll probably give the Mustang GT some competition.

Presumably the Challenger R/T will weigh less than the other platform siblings. Furthermore, the LY may or may not weigh as much as the LX...I don't know that information. It may not weigh a lot less, but I'd be surprised to see the Challenger weigh more than 4000 pounds and if you look at power to weight ratios, it would need only 350 horsepower to equal the power to weight ratio (as rated) of the Mustang GT at its current rating. The 5.7 makes that now with the performance package on Charger. The S197 porked up some too compared to the New Edge SN95 it replaced. Probably it will come down to whether Ford does some power improvements and/or Dodge offers a 6 speed manual with the 5.7. The LX sedans with the Hemis are geared high at something like 3.23 ring and pinion. The Mustang GT has a 3.55 doesn't it? Not a big difference, but the gearing of the 6 speed probably will help the Challenger and it benefits from more torque, as well. In current form, it makes 390 lbs.-ft of torque. If you put that ahead of a T-56 and a 3.55 out back, it'll probably give the Mustang GT some competition.

That is interesting, but old info. They have a 3.73 in the new and up coming 08 Bullitt and a 312 hp with the old iron block. Ford also is building the six speed auto now, as well as they are looking at doing a six manual starting in 2010 Mustang. Supply issue as to who builds/supplies the tranny? IDK.

The engine rumours run rampant here as you well may also know. I'm thinking a 5.0 SOHC version of the current 4.6 iron block standard. That's easily doable for Ford right now. Give them two years and the purported competition will force the issue.

Then again, they are also thinking of the twin force V6 with even more power and better fuel economy. And CAFE is the renewed Master of what is under the hood. So, either will be easily a done deal. The V-6 is the obvious choice for MPG. And it makes the Challenger much less of a challenge to meet.

And the pork in the Stang? Not-so-much. Stretch the wheelbase, and added some required safety equipment. About 400# over the old Stang. Way more car to drive in quality, better handling, performance and response. The Challenger IMHO has it's legacy of a "big car" chassis all the time. I don't believe that they can shed enough wieght to make it dominant, let alone a better car. They have already gone on record as saying the Challenger WILL have the b-piller to stabilize the chassis. Flutter anyone? That's usually cause by too much wieght between the front and rear axles...

According to the photo of the Challenger on Allpar, one notable change is that the crosshair grille is still there...just painted black on the most recent SEMA show car.

www.allpar.com

Perhaps the Dodge signature grille is still there in those dimly-lit photos. It just doesn't show up that well.