Problems with 6 speed trans on 07/08 Expeditions

Scarpi

Well, so I hear that some Ford Executives actually read this forum. So here is my point. First of all let me state that I own an 05 Mustang GT that has had no problems and I love it! Now to the point of my post. I also own an 02 GMC Yukon that I am seriously thinking of trading in on an 08 Ford Expedition. But lately I have been reading posts from people on other Ford forums that state how they are having alot of troubles with the six speed transmissions on their 07/08 Expeditions. What has Ford done to correct this issue and is this no longer an issue on the 08 models currently being built? I really would like an honest answer from anyone at Ford.

Thank you!

Well, so I hear that some Ford Executives actually read this forum. So here is my point. First of all let me state that I own an 05 Mustang GT that has had no problems and I love it! Now to the point of my post. I also own an 02 GMC Yukon that I am seriously thinking of trading in on an 08 Ford Expedition. But lately I have been reading posts from people on other Ford forums that state how they are having alot of troubles with the six speed transmissions on their 07/08 Expeditions. What has Ford done to correct this issue and is this no longer an issue on the 08 models currently being built? I really would like an honest answer from anyone at Ford.

Thank you!

I'm no from ford, and this is no comfort, but i know that many companies (GM, Chrysler, Toyota) are having problems with their 6 speed transmissions. I wish that all of them could be fixed.

Thank you!

Not sure there is a wide spread problem on the 6R transmission, they had some early 07 model 1 and 2nd shift issues that where corrected by a computer shift update. I own a 07 with over 10,000 trouble free miles besides the TSB for wind noise and cooled seats TSB that have both been fixed. It is a great truck that rides like a million bucks.

post-15078-1130359401_thumb.jpg

Thank you!

I will submit that our competition pays blogger to disparage our products on other sights to bad mouth us and gain sales. For instance their is a loud mouth on http://www.fordfusionclub.com/ That cries about his poor fuel mileage on his AWD Fusion and he is reporting well below what the average user is getting. I challenged him to post a pic of his MPG reading and he refused reciting the same lame mantra! It seems the most attacked are where we a leading. CVT trannies, six speeds, AWD mid-sized cars ect. ect. ect. Every advantage Ford has had as of late has been played down or criticized by the import loving crowd, be your own judge! If you want to know run a search for recalls and drive one yourself. What you will find with a six speed tranny is better fuel economy and smoother shifts as the gearing is closer and and more gradual! Good luck on your venture and I hope you enjoy the test drive!

Edited by Furious1Auto

We purchased an 08 Expedition about 2 months ago, and have close to 2,000 miles on it.

It's been flawless, and we love the 6 speed. My neighbor even went down and bought an 07 after seeing ours.

BTW, LOVE the a/c seats, wish the new SuperDutys had that.

Thanks for the info. As I said, I'm thinking of trading my 02 Yukon for the 08 Expedition. Since I read on another forum about trans problems with the 07, I thought I'd ask. I owned a 97 Expedition for five years and it had almost no problems. I also own an 05 Mustang Gt that has had no problems. I've read that the Mustang has won some quality awards! It seems to me that Ford has done a great job on quality lately. That is why I'm wanting to trade the Yukon for the Expedition. I'll be heading to the dealers after the car show in late November here in Phoenix! Can't wait to get one.

I will submit that our competition pays blogger to disparage our products on other sights to bad mouth us and gain sales. For instance their is a loud mouth on http://www.fordfusionclub.com/ That cries about his poor fuel mileage on his AWD Fusion and he is reporting well below what the average user is getting. I challenged him to post a pic of his MPG reading and he refused reciting the same lame mantra! It seems the most attacked are where we a leading. CVT trannies, six speeds, AWD mid-sized cars ect. ect. ect. Every advantage Ford has had as of late has been played down or criticized by the import loving crowd, be your own judge! If you want to know run a search for recalls and drive one yourself. What you will find with a six speed tranny is better fuel economy and smoother shifts as the gearing is closer and and more gradual! Good luck on your venture and I hope you enjoy the test drive!

Well lets reply to your message.....I am not fords competition. I have owned 6 consecutive ford vehicles 2 explorers, 2 F250 5.4L, and two expeditions and I will say this. I had an 05 Ford explorer, which was probably a lemon from the time I purchased it. I took it in 3 or 4 times and dealership told me they could not replicate the problem, and then all of the sudden a year later they tell me they have a fix and replaced the solenoid in the transmission. mind you for the first 1 year I was getting around 10 mpg. After the solenoid replacement the truck shifted incredibly better for a few months, but then it was back to square one shortly thereafter. Everytime I took the truck in I was paying to have a rental vehicle, they refused to provide me a truck while my new truck was being fixed. That being said I traded the piece of crap in and got the 07 Expedition. Within a week of owning it the transmission was shifting funny, it would jolt you forward when slowing down to a stop. It wasnt shifting correctly from 1st to 2nd to 3rd, and I dont even think it was shifting into overdrive on the highway. Took it in to the dealership, they stated tech could not replicate the problem. Took the vehicle back, within a day of having it back took it back to dealership problem replicated and they did the 1st tsb fix. Worked for 2 wks or so, then problem came back. Took truck in again for a newer tsb, same deal fixed problem for short term. At this point I had around 5000K miles, received 3 tsbs, which did nothing in the long run. Then I take it to a new dealership, because the other one obviously didnt know what they were doing. New dealership tests drives and thinks they found the problem, I am out a vehicle for a week while they get ford to agree to replace the valve body. No rental was provided to me. Get the truck back shifts well for around 1000 miles or so and the problem is back. It doesnt shift poorly all the time just enough to piss you off (1 or two days a week). Now it is going back this week for another round of so called fixes. Now ask yourself, what is this going to do to the transmission for the long run? Will I get 100K miles out of it, or will I be stuck having to replace it beforehand?

I am not fords competition, I am or was a loyal ford customer, but after two vehicles that they cant quite fix correctly and wont even provide a rental for me while they fix them is ridiculous. There have been numerous tsb's for the 07 expedition and quite a few unhappy loyal ford customers. Next time I may buy another ford, but I can guarantee I will look around at other brands before I do. My wife is due for a new vehicle soon, probably a mid size SUV, and she will not be getting a ford, just can't afford to have two daily drivers in the shop all the time.

Well lets reply to your message.....I am not fords competition. I have owned 6 consecutive ford vehicles 2 explorers, 2 F250 5.4L, and two expeditions and I will say this. I had an 05 Ford explorer, which was probably a lemon from the time I purchased it. I took it in 3 or 4 times and dealership told me they could not replicate the problem, and then all of the sudden a year later they tell me they have a fix and replaced the solenoid in the transmission. mind you for the first 1 year I was getting around 10 mpg. After the solenoid replacement the truck shifted incredibly better for a few months, but then it was back to square one shortly thereafter. Everytime I took the truck in I was paying to have a rental vehicle, they refused to provide me a truck while my new truck was being fixed. That being said I traded the piece of crap in and got the 07 Expedition. Within a week of owning it the transmission was shifting funny, it would jolt you forward when slowing down to a stop. It wasnt shifting correctly from 1st to 2nd to 3rd, and I dont even think it was shifting into overdrive on the highway. Took it in to the dealership, they stated tech could not replicate the problem. Took the vehicle back, within a day of having it back took it back to dealership problem replicated and they did the 1st tsb fix. Worked for 2 wks or so, then problem came back. Took truck in again for a newer tsb, same deal fixed problem for short term. At this point I had around 5000K miles, received 3 tsbs, which did nothing in the long run. Then I take it to a new dealership, because the other one obviously didnt know what they were doing. New dealership tests drives and thinks they found the problem, I am out a vehicle for a week while they get ford to agree to replace the valve body. No rental was provided to me. Get the truck back shifts well for around 1000 miles or so and the problem is back. It doesnt shift poorly all the time just enough to piss you off (1 or two days a week). Now it is going back this week for another round of so called fixes. Now ask yourself, what is this going to do to the transmission for the long run? Will I get 100K miles out of it, or will I be stuck having to replace it beforehand?

I am not fords competition, I am or was a loyal ford customer, but after two vehicles that they cant quite fix correctly and wont even provide a rental for me while they fix them is ridiculous. There have been numerous tsb's for the 07 expedition and quite a few unhappy loyal ford customers. Next time I may buy another ford, but I can guarantee I will look around at other brands before I do. My wife is due for a new vehicle soon, probably a mid size SUV, and she will not be getting a ford, just can't afford to have two daily drivers in the shop all the time.

You should have Lemon Lawed the Explorer and then you would have been much happier that you were taking the negative to trade it! Sorry to hear of your troubles but yes even new products and parts can have defects. On another tread I was exchanging with a man who had to swap his tranny in his 07' Camry with 2000 miles on it! He works for a Toyota dealership and was disgusted to say the least. So you see every manufacturer has their bad incidents!

do both you and your wife swap driving the vehicle.....sounds almost like the adaptive transmisson can't cater to the difference between how you and your wife drive....

do both you and your wife swap driving the vehicle.....sounds almost like the adaptive transmisson can't cater to the difference between how you and your wife drive....

no I drive the expedition all the time, it doesnt fit in her parking garage at work, plus even if we traded vehicles our driving styles are not very different.

I'm a dealer,and have had no transission trouble with the Expedition to speak of...frankly,my most satisfied customers are Expedition owners. They are extremely pleased with the fuel mileage,ride handling and utility of the vehicle.

I have to agree...i DON"T see them in service AT ALL.......basically thats why I questioned if there were differnt drivers/ driving styles...i have heard of similar cases of which this was the cause, driver A)...Enzo Ferrari complete with comb over, too much aftershave, unbuttoned shirt, gold chain and driving gloves ( hell THAt could be a Corvette driver ... ) and driver B) Driving Miss Daisy, thinks her car self parks in Vons by Leisureworld, questions all the dents and thinks the Tach is actually the speedo, complete with 42 cars behind her in the fast lane doing 500 rpms.........

I have to agree...i DON"T see them in service AT ALL.......basically thats why I questioned if there were differnt drivers/ driving styles...i have heard of similar cases of which this was the cause, driver A)...Enzo Ferrari complete with comb over, too much aftershave, unbuttoned shirt, gold chain and driving gloves ( hell THAt could be a Corvette driver ... ) and driver B) Driving Miss Daisy, thinks her car self parks in Vons by Leisureworld, questions all the dents and thinks the Tach is actually the speedo, complete with 42 cars behind her in the fast lane doing 500 rpms.........

My wife and I drive basically the same way, so that would not be an issue even if we did swap vehicles. The last time she drove my truck was probably a month and half ago. Don't get me wrong, I love everything about the expedition, driveability, interior, exterior styling, etc., everything but the transmission and the hassle it is to take it in for service.

I also agree the Explorer should have been lemon lawed, but it did not qualify by the time the solenoid was replaced. I am not about to go hire some lawyers and take ford to court over one or two crappily built vehicles. Fortunately I was able to get a decent trade in on the explorer.

The dealership I am dealing with now, has seen numerous expeditions in for the same problem. They are leaps and bounds better than the dealership I purchased the truck at, they were rude, not willing to try and find the root of the problem. If I decide on a ford next go around I will probably buy it from the dealership that is providing better service.

Edited by NickCarbon

My wife and I drive basically the same way, so that would not be an issue even if we did swap vehicles. The last time she drove my truck was probably a month and half ago. Don't get me wrong, I love everything about the expedition, driveability, interior, exterior styling, etc., everything but the transmission and the hassle it is to take it in for service.

I also agree the Explorer should have been lemon lawed, but it did not qualify by the time the solenoid was replaced. I am not about to go hire some lawyers and take ford to court over one or two crappily built vehicles. Fortunately I was able to get a decent trade in on the explorer.

The dealership I am dealing with now, has seen numerous expeditions in for the same problem. They are leaps and bounds better than the dealership I purchased the truck at, they were rude, not willing to try and find the root of the problem. If I decide on a ford next go around I will probably buy it from the dealership that is providing better service.

where are you located nick...seriously i have yet to see any here w tranny probs ( So Cal ) so I wonder if it may be temperature related.....

i wonder, as our temps don't experience large swings...just a guess, as your issues are absent as far as i have seen in our service drive.....I mean ZERO! ,,,,,weird.

have a friend who works at local ford dealer.. no issues on expeditions as all, but he did say 05 and 06 explorers came in for a bunch of tranny issues...

have a friend who works at local ford dealer.. no issues on expeditions as all, but he did say 05 and 06 explorers came in for a bunch of tranny issues...

I saw that in service also...all they did was change fluid as far as i recall...was strange because they were using the same tranny that was PROBLEM free up till that point!

I saw that in service also...all they did was change fluid as far as i recall...was strange because they were using the same tranny that was PROBLEM free up till that point!

Fluid and valve body. There was a recall on it. Trans supplier put fluid into trans that didn't have some additive, and fouled the valve body up.

where are you located nick...seriously i have yet to see any here w tranny probs ( So Cal ) so I wonder if it may be temperature related.....

I am from SOCal and I have the biggest POS 07 Expy. Dont get me wrong I love the Expy BUT NOT the problems I am having. I have one of the first ones sold out here and they can not fix mine. They have done many TSB's and NOTHING... Now I am having a problem with the rear end slipping at the same time I am having the trans problem. I am leaving it at the dealer till it is fixed, if not Ford can give me another one.

Edited by ELlover