Encouraging Sign!

BORG

Yesterday Morning I saw a Montego being hoisted on a flatbed on Rochester Road. There was no damage, but the emergency flashers were on. This is the 2nd time I've seen one of these cars broken down. The first one was a 500 on M-59 in Troy.

So what's going on with these things? It's not a good sign when the cars are breaking down on the side of the road.

Initial statistics from JD Power, and the lack of recalls, suggest the 500 is a very solid offering. But when I see two of them dead on the roadside, I can't help buy wonder if this is more than just anecodtal evidence of serious quality problems. There is nothing more humiliating then seeing your new car dead on the back of a tow truck.

I saw such a phenomenon again on Friday when a neighbors VERY clean Rendezvous was towed away from their house because it wouldn't start. My guess is that they got it washed down the street, didn't drive it long enough, parked it in the garage, and the lingering moisture made a contact that drained the battery. This happened to my LS once and to my parent's vehicles several times. I'm learning to be careful since I like to wash my car VERY frequently ;).

Edited by BORG

Who's to say it was anything mechanical-related? Maybe it was out of gas. Maybe it was out of coolant and the owner drove it until it overheated? Maybe the driver pulled over to the shoulder with chest pains and keeled over dead from a heart attack? I've seen plenty of "reliable" cars on shoulders of our highways and on the backs of flatbeds...I'm sure a good number of them weren't there because of manufacturer defects.

Who's to say it was anything mechanical-related? Maybe it was out of gas. Maybe it was out of coolant and the owner drove it until it overheated? Maybe the driver pulled over to the shoulder with chest pains and keeled over dead from a heart attack? I've seen plenty of "reliable" cars on shoulders of our highways and on the backs of flatbeds...I'm sure a good number of them weren't there because of manufacturer defects.

In any of those cases, towing would not have been neccessary. Your car has to be really dead before people are going to pay for it to be hoisted on a flatbed and carted around

In any of those cases, towing would not have been neccessary. Your car has to be really dead before people are going to pay for it to be hoisted on a flatbed and carted around

Not really. I see people having their cars towed simply for a flat tire. You still can't assume that every car on a flatbed is there because of some catastrophic mechanical failure.

Okay...so you saw one being loaded on to a flatbed. Did you ask the owner if he ever changed the oil? Maybe it was 30,000 miles from his last change. Again...you can't assume it was broken down due to some fault by the manufacturer.

Now you're really reaching. I'm talking about two fairly new vehicles here. I rarely see brokedown vehicles by the roadside, let alone new ones. In Detroit it's common to see the odd jalopy abandoned on the roadside with the familiar orange tag on the window. But these are new cars in the burbs. It's not hard to deduce that both suffered mechancial failures that could not be easily fixed on the roadside.

There are many metropolitan cities where if a vehicle is broken down, or on the side of the road for more than an hour it's open game for impounding. There are many reasons as to why the vehicle was on the tow.

Shit, I saw a brand new Civic about ready to be hoisted into the bed of a tow truck on I-75 a few months ago. It even had the window sticker on it. :happy feet:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I had talked to some of the people that tow cars for a living and they like to use a flatbed because it causes no damage to a car while transporting, whereas the older chain&strap would damage componants under the car. Most towing and recovery companies have gone over to flatbeds for that reason so to see a car towed on a flatbed can be for a myriad of reasons from broke, out of gas,flat and no spare, ete,ete.

Y'all have a good one

• 5 months later...