2008 (European) Mazda6

waymondospiff

Here's the first review I've seen of the 2008 European-model Mazda6.

Belfast Telegraph's Mazda6 Review

A few points:

-yes, it's still CD3

-it hasn't grown significantly from the old Mazda6, but it is lighter

-the ride has improved

-the engine (2.5L vs. 2.3L) has improved

And for the EUCD-or-death crowd:

"But the Mazda is a step ahead of the Mondeo, because it has an easy agility the Ford lacks. That's because the Mazda is lighter, smaller and more manageable than the too-corpulent, too-wide Mondeo."

"...t simply has to be designed and engineered to work with the driver's commands and instincts, to involve the driver in the whole dynamic process. This new Mazda 6 does exactly that, to a wholly remarkable degree. It feels like an Alfa 159 should, or like a BMW 3 series would if it were, like the Mazda, front-wheel drive."

"But that's the only significant fault [referencing a small odometer display] with [this] car, which otherwise might just be the new class leader. Surprised? So am I. "

What isn't confirmed: is this car our new Mazda6?

I'm rather worried about the answer. The word from a while back was that the Euro & JDM Mazda6s were going to be different than the NA Mazda6 (The current-gen Mazda6 is nearly identical from market-to-market) - with the NA Mazda6 being larger, heavier, and arguably less desireable to the current Mazda/Mazda6 ownerbase. I hope this is our new car, as-is. But why is it taking Mazda so long to reveal?

Scott

I don't know what's taking them so long to reveal it either, I was hoping it would be at the LA autoshow, but I do know our version will be the same, although I think we're getting the Japanese version which has slightly different detailing around the foglamps. And it makes sense since our Mazda 3 also comes from Japan.

And for the EUCD-or-death crowd:

"But the Mazda is a step ahead of the Mondeo, because it is... smaller

Deja-vu.

He sounds exactly like the guys who claim the outgoing 6 is more manageable than the Fusion.

Hell his reasons are exactly the same (smaller and narrower)

Here's the first review I've seen of the 2008 European-model Mazda6.

Belfast Telegraph's Mazda6 Review

A few points:

-yes, it's still CD3

-it hasn't grown significantly from the old Mazda6, but it is lighter

-the ride has improved

-the engine (2.5L vs. 2.3L) has improved

Actually, some are calling it the CD3-2, or simply the CD32.

Supposedly, the Fusion/Milan/MKZ all move to this platform for 2009MY and the Edge and MKX in 2010MY.

''Mazda is a step ahead of the Mondeo'' yep!

Those who claim 'all Ford has to do is bring over Mondeo' are wrong. It would flop like the first gen Modneo did. Small inside, heavy, and overpriced. Just like VW's are also.

''So...are we getting a new one or not?''

Umm, it's been all over that the 2009 MZ6 for the USA is this verson also.

Edited by 630land

CD3-2 ought to be dynamically superior to EUCD for the same reason that EUCD is superior to CD3; CD3-2 is newer.

Best thing Ford can do is stop paying three engineering teams to do what one or two engineering teams can do.

Well we have to wait another 4 years for that to happen :P

I guess they'll stick with the EUCD over the CD3-2 though...

''Mazda is a step ahead of the Mondeo'' yep!

Those who claim 'all Ford has to do is bring over Mondeo' are wrong. It would flop like the first gen Modneo did. Small inside, heavy, and overpriced. Just like VW's are also.

''So...are we getting a new one or not?''

New Mondeo small inside? Umm ignorance is bliss.

THE future of the Mazda6 MPS high-performance model has been thrown into doubt, with no plans for the time being to offer such a version in the new second-generation line-up.

The turbocharged MPS will be discontinued when the new Mazda6 is launched in Australia in March and may never return because the Japanese car-maker is not convinced there is enough demand for such a model.

Mazda6 program manager Ryuichi Umeshita is aware of these problems, as well as the loss of potential sales volume caused by the United States going down its own development path with a slightly larger version of the 6, though still based on the same platform.

Mr Umeshita said he doubted it would be possible to invest in a new MPS and a suitable automatic transmission just for Australia and Europe.

“We will see if there is a big enough requirement in the market,” he told GoAuto at the Mazda6 launch in France last week.

http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mellor.nsf...A2573A000816E98

Not so fast there, skippy. The new Mondeo is big. Fusion big.

The Mondeo is longer, wider & taller with a longer wheelbase than the Fusion.

But I agree with the sentiment that the EUCD is not necessarily superior to the CD3.

Where? I have yet to see any confirmation that this is our vehicle.

THE future of the Mazda6 MPS high-performance model has been thrown into doubt, with no plans for the time being to offer such a version in the new second-generation line-up.
Why not? It's not like the Mazdaspeed6 sold worth a crap in the US anyway....
What's the point of the MS6 anyway? The 3.5 and awd combo received from the triplets will just about match the specs of the outgoing ms6 anyway.

Nick, meet o_f_w. The Mazdaspeed6 was a great vehicle technically, but it suffered from being too late in the Mazda6's production run to garner much notice and from the fact that it was a four cylinder turbo - the other "sporting" models in the midsize class are all V6s. You can also make claims of price (low-$30Ks), marketing (there was none), dealers (the dealer near my old house wouldn't let anyone test drive the MS6 when it first came out. Later, those were sitting with "$$$ Off!!!" writing on the windshield), and refinement (not much.) But it is an impressive driving machine.

I wouldn't be surprised to see some type of hotted-up new 6 using a tuned version of the 3.7L V6 someday though. But I wouldn't bet on it being called a "'Speed6".

Scott

• 1 month later...