Detroit News: Ford will close Ontario plant

Len_A

Our contract is up next September. Don't believe anything that the media puts out before that time. If they were really going to close the plant, it would make better business sense to announce it after the contract. It could be that they are looking for concessions to keep it open, or to add jobs elsewhere. They are definitely after something.

The production cuts mentioned in the article are distorted because we were building the Freestar minivan, which was a flop. (It is, however, an excellent vehicle.) It was not a deliberate action by Ford to cut Canadian production. It just happened because of slow sales.

Edited by Trimdingman

Our contract is up next September. Don't believe anything that the media puts out before that time. If they were really going to close the plant, it would make better business sense to announce it after the contract. It could be that they are looking for concessions to keep it open, or to add jobs elsewhere. They are definitely after something.

The production cuts mentioned in the article are distorted because we were building the Freestar minivan, which was a flop. (It is, however, an excellent vehicle.) It was not a deliberate action by Ford to cut Canadian production. It just happened because of slow sales.

I got a freestar and its a good running machine 2004 limited

Was it a slow weekend in Motor City? The Detroit papers had nothing better to report than old news that has been tossed around like a salad for the past year or so.

Contract time boys and girls, same shit every time a contract year rolls around.

I was hired in May 1979 and I was told then that STAP would be closing within 5 years time.

Last time I drove by that plant it was still there and there was a lot of cars in the parking lot. I don't think it is a shopping mall now :hysterical:

The DRUM BEATERS will be all over that news report. Let them have their fun, and do not let it ruin your Christmas.

Edited by GoldenBlade

Ford pulled out all the stops to build a quality vehicle in the Freestar. It is a good vehicle.

:hysterical: :hysterical:

I hate to rub salt in the wounds of a fallen man, but the Freestar was an abortion. It was one of Fords biggest missteps of the last 10 years. It's a rare occasion when people laud the traits of a previous product (windstar), and PAN the traits of its successor(freestar). The Freestar/Monterey sucked, and the marketplace proved that.

Unfortunately the designers and engineers of the Freestar took the Mini-Van market for granted. They felt that due to past sales, they could obviously introduce an inferior product to the marketplace..... and it would still sell because it was a FORD. What a mistake! Ford gave up 200,000 vehicle sales a year, and almost shut down an assembly plant because the Freestar/Monterey SUCKED so bad.

It wasn't the hourly peoples fault, that the Ford Design and Engineering team had their head up their asses. It was inept leadership, and poor decision making in upper management that contributed to the demise of the Ford Mini-Van. The American consumers spoke with their pocket books and due to natural selection..... the inferior product (Freestar), was stricken from the marketplace. If it was great, it would've sold. But instead it sucked. And now the only option Americans have to buy an American Mini-van, is the Dodge Caravan/Chrysler T&C. :banghead:

Edited by mrballsonya

Was it a slow weekend in Motor City? The Detroit papers had nothing better to report than old news that has been tossed around like a salad for the past year or so.

Contract time boys and girls, same shit every time a contract year rolls around.

I was hired in May 1979 and I was told then that STAP would be closing within 5 years time.

Last time I drove by that plant it was still there and there was a lot of cars in the parking lot. I don't think it is a shopping mall now :hysterical:

The DRUM BEATERS will be all over that news report. Let them have their fun, and do not let it ruin your Christmas.

It's funny, I heard the same mantra about Wixom. "I've been here for X years.... and nothings happened".

A word of advice, start preparing. Don't get caught with your pants down. If it happens you'll be prepared, if it doesn't you'll be ahead.

It may not be true, but the underlying conditions support the statement. Get your finances in order, and start coming up with backup plans.

I hate to rub salt in the wounds of a fallen man, but the Freestar was an abortion. It was one of Fords biggest missteps of the last 10 years. It's a rare occasion when people laud the traits of a previous product (windstar), and PAN the traits of its successor(freestar). The Freestar/Monterey sucked, and the marketplace proved that.

Unfortunately the designers and engineers of the Freestar took the Mini-Van market for granted. They felt that due to past sales, they could obviously introduce an inferior product to the marketplace..... and it would still sell because it was a FORD. What a mistake! Ford gave up 200,000 vehicle sales a year, and almost shut down an assembly plant because the Freestar/Monterey SUCKED so bad.

It wasn't the hourly peoples fault, that the Ford Design and Engineering team had their head up their asses. It was inept leadership, and poor decision making in upper management that contributed to the demise of the Ford Mini-Van. The American consumers spoke with their pocket books and due to natural selection..... the inferior product (Freestar), was stricken from the marketplace. If it was great, it would've sold. But instead it sucked. And now the only option Americans have to buy an American Mini-van, is the Dodge Caravan/Chrysler T&C. :banghead:

The Freestar didn't sell, but it is a great quality built vehicle. I work in the plant where it was built. They were on one shift with mass relief and slow line speed. Ford wanted to make sure that this vehicle was built right because of all of the problems they had with the Windstar. There was no problem with stopping the line to fix anything. It was built with exceptional care. Dealers couldn't keep Windstars on their lots in the late 90s and they were flying off the line. It made money in the short term, but was costly down the road. The mini-van is dead. The Flex is coming soon. I have seen it. It is a beaut.

It's funny, I heard the same mantra about Wixom. "I've been here for X years.... and nothings happened".

A word of advice, start preparing. Don't get caught with your pants down. If it happens you'll be prepared, if it doesn't you'll be ahead.

It may not be true, but the underlying conditions support the statement. Get your finances in order, and start coming up with backup plans.

Excellent advise, after NAP closed, taking care of my finances is very high on my list. I have aways been good with my finances but I'm much better now. No plant is safe, mrballsonya is right, always have a backup plan.

SAVE YOUR MONEY!!!

That article also mentioned the end of the "Panthers" Crown Vic, Grand Marquis and Town Car in 2010. I won't believe that either as there is an underlying demand for those kind of traditional RWD cars still!

I think it would be an absolute stupid mistake if Ford stop producing them.

There is no market for a full-sized RWD car except for Fleet sales like the Panther has been doing...which has no future for those products.

There might be a new RWD sedan in the future, but we'll see how that pans out.

Working at Wixom, you know more than any what quality gets you!!! you were awarded JD powers for quality and walking papers!! Thats the thanks you get for doing a great job!!

I truly think that this is the reason that Flexible body shops will be built in the US assembly plants. I am afraid that they are going to pit plant against plant....hope not! I hope that the flexible body shop is for down time and slow periods that would allow for more than one vehicle line to be assembled in 1 plant and allow for full utilization during slow periods!

Maybe Ford is going to produce cars/trucks where they sell them...Guess what Mexico and Canada, most vehicle sales are in US!! :kissass:

Edited by Captain723

St. Thomas people don't listen to Buzz's hard line, "We will never give 2 tier etc. etc. etc." He is going to Dearborn this week and he won't be pounding the table telling Alan Mullaly how it is. We in Windsor voted on a new COA earlier this year to try and get new work and believe me it is more than competitive with anything the UAW gave up. The CAW talks tough but when the S#@! hit the fan we gave what the company says it needed. GOOD LUCK!!!!

St. Thomas people don't listen to Buzz's hard line, "We will never give 2 tier etc. etc. etc." He is going to Dearborn this week and he won't be pounding the table telling Alan Mullaly how it is. We in Windsor voted on a new COA earlier this year to try and get new work and believe me it is more than competitive with anything the UAW gave up. The CAW talks tough but when the S#@! hit the fan we gave what the company says it needed. GOOD LUCK!!!!

[/quote

we didn't give in to 2 tier wages either.... :finger: These members will have the opportunity to earn traditional wages by attrition!

Stand strong and stand alone, since you left the UAW!

The uaw already sold all North American autoworkers out with that contract. Now us CAW members must be as or more competitive or shut all the doors for good! Nice contract!

hey dumb ass canuck......what north american auto worker got sold out, you fk? :finger: we kept our wages....kept our healthcare....we had the company give the UAW 14 billion dollars to run the healthcare in case of Ford bankruptcy. So I ask you, fk, what did we lose?

Neighborly-X.gif

Working at Wixom, you know more than any what quality gets you!!! you were awarded JD powers for quality and walking papers!! Thats the thanks you get for doing a great job!!

I truly think that this is the reason that Flexible body shops will be built in the US assembly plants. I am afraid that they are going to pit plant against plant....hope not! I hope that the flexible body shop is for down time and slow periods that would allow for more than one vehicle line to be assembled in 1 plant and allow for full utilization during slow periods!

Maybe Ford is going to produce cars/trucks where they sell them...Guess what Mexico and Canada, most vehicle sales are in US!! :kissass:

In 1965, Canada and the USA signed the Auto Pact. That allowed vehicles to enter Canada duty free, as long as the carmakers built dollar for dollar in Canada what they sold in Canada. It didn't matter what models they were, so they would build just one model in one plant. Before that, they built multiple vehicles in the same plant to avoid the duty. The Auto Pact was declared illegal by the UN a few years ago; so now we are back to the pre-1965 days of multiple vehicles being built in the same plant. Oakville is ideally located, being in Canada, and also within one day's trucking of many many millions of affluent population. Take a map. Set a compass to 550 mile radius and draw a circle with Oakville in the center. It will encompass NYNY, Chicago, Toronto, Montreal, Philadelphia, Pittsburg, Cinncinnati, Dayton, Buffalo, Detroit, Boston, Hamilton, Quebec City, Ottawa, Washington, Baltimore, and many other places. Oakville has a flex body shop, and over a million square feet of unused space already constructed. They have plenty of capacity to put in a third platform. Canada buys per capita just as many cars as any other country, and we have per capita at least as many auto workers as the States, probably more.

Edited by Trimdingman

CAW meeting with Ford this week to discuss St. Thomas, Ont. one-shift plant

OTTAWA - The Canadian Auto Workers union will meet this week with Ford to discuss ways to keep the one-shift assembly plant in St. Thomas, Ont. open - although CAW president Buzz Hargrove said the auto maker hasn't given him any sign it will close the plant any time soon.

Hargrove said he was misquoted in a Detroit media report Monday as saying Ford planned to close the plant.

"There's no concern today about the Ford St. Thomas plant, contrary to what (the report) said," Hargrove told The Canadian Press.

hey dumb ass canuck......what north american auto worker got sold out, you fk? :finger: we kept our wages....kept our healthcare....we had the company give the UAW 14 billion dollars to run the healthcare in case of Ford bankruptcy. So I ask you, fk, what did we lose?

Neighborly-X.gif

Canada has a higher reading literacy

Canada has a higher scientific literacy

Canada has a higher math literacy

Canadians live longer

Add this all together and we enjoy a higher standard of living according to the UN

All while ranking just as high on Civil and political liberties

Maybe you should reconsider who is the dumb ass!

Any doubts? Maybe you should read this NY Times article.

As for what did you lose? Ask a new employee!

Neighborly-X.gif

Nice pictures of Chretien. His views do not represent those of Canadians. His views represent those of his French in-laws with billions invested in Iraqi oil. To-day we are officially not in Iraq, but we do have some troops there. Sending troops there now would be political suicide for our new fledgling Conservative government. If Chretien had been gone sooner, we would be there. However, what we are lacking in Iraq, we are making up for in Afghanistan pulling the heavy weight in the south, with 73 casualties so far.

The future new hires got sold out in the new contract. You had better hope that they do not sell you out after you retire and screw over your pension and retirement benefits. What would they have to lose? They won't have a pension. As they say, what goes around comes around.

Edited by Trimdingman

Canada has a higher reading literacy

Canada has a higher scientific literacy

Canada has a higher math literacy

Canadians live longer

Add this all together and we enjoy a higher standard of living according to the UN

All while ranking just as high on Civil and political liberties

Maybe you should reconsider who is the dumb ass!

Any doubts? Maybe you should read this NY Times article.

As for what did you lose? Ask a new employee!

Just keep reading the Detroit news dumb ASS!!

you live longer and therefore you are more expensive !! What the fk does that mean?

Ask a new employee that doesn't have anything what they have lost?? When they were hired they didn't have anything...is this a trick question? :headscratch:

Edited by Captain723