2008 Edge vs. 2008 MKX

rmc523

If you had a choice between a fully loaded 2008 Edge Limited, or a fully loaded 2008 MKX, both in White Chocolate Tri-Coat w/ tan interiors and 20" wheels, which would you choose and why?

I can't decide which I like better. Obviously there the price difference, but I can't decide.

If you had a choice between a fully loaded 2008 Edge Limited, or a fully loaded 2008 MKX, both in White Chocolate Tri-Coat w/ tan interiors and 20" wheels, which would you choose and why?

I can't decide which I like better. Obviously there the price difference, but I can't decide.

It is tough. The X has a nicer interior by far, but I think I would give a slight nod to the edge on the outside. I think in the end I would probably take the Lincoln. The cooled seats that have more power function would sell me on it.

It is tough. The X has a nicer interior by far, but I think I would give a slight nod to the edge on the outside. I think in the end I would probably take the Lincoln. The cooled seats that have more power function would sell me on it.

I'm the same way, I think. I do like the Lincoln's tailgate lightbar as well, very distinctive at night.

I've got a base 2007 mkx with a sunroof that I leased new a few weeks ago. It's a great smooth ride.

Also, there is a longer bumper to bumber warranty.

Go for the lincoln. Support the american luxury car makers.

I'd get the X for the cooled seats and THX sound system. Also for the monochrome edition.

I'm thinking that too. Although, I wouldn't get the monochrome edition, b/c it's black inside and out. I'm a lighter color person for the most part, especially in South Florida. As I said above, I'd get it in the White Chocolate Tri Coat, w/ the tan interior and 20" wheels.

I'd get the X for the cooled seats and THX sound system. Also for the monochrome edition.

I'm thinking that too. Although, I wouldn't get the monochrome edition, b/c it's black inside and out. I'm a lighter color person for the most part, especially in South Florida. As I said above, I'd get it in the White Chocolate Tri Coat, w/ the tan interior and 20" wheels.

UPDATE:

I drove an MKX today, it drove nicely and the interior was nice as well. I think Lincoln did a good job w/ the vehicle. I drove a Dark Ink Blue model w/ the tan interior. It looked nice, but the blue looks almost black, even in direct sunlight. I'm not used to driving a FWD car, it was awkward feeling the torque steer while pulling out of the dealer. We'd get AWD if we got either an MKX or Edge, so that wouldn't be as much of a problem, though.

There was also an Edge in the new Light Ice Blue color, that's nice as well. I didn't drive one of these today.

One other note, I think it's funny how little salespeople actually know about the cars they sell. The salesperson I drove w/ just moved from a Ford only dealer to Ford-Lincoln-Mercury, so I'll cut him a little slack. For example, he didn't know the MKX had available heated rear seats. Also, doesn't the MKX have more sound insulation than the Edge? He said it doesn't but I think it does, am I right? He was a really nice guy though.

My mom and I also drove a Taurus X as well. It drove nicely also. It was an Eddie Bauer model, white w/ tan interior and the 18"s.

All I can say is I'm waiting for the Flex to come out. The salesperson I was with today says he's going to buy one when they come out.

Edited by rmc523

UPDATE:

I drove an MKX today, it drove nicely and the interior was nice as well. I think Lincoln did a good job w/ the vehicle. I drove a Dark Ink Blue model w/ the tan interior. It looked nice, but the blue looks almost black, even in direct sunlight. I'm not used to driving a FWD car, it was awkward feeling the torque steer while pulling out of the dealer. We'd get AWD if we got either an MKX or Edge, so that wouldn't be as much of a problem, though.

There was also an Edge in the new Light Ice Blue color, that's nice as well. I didn't drive one of these today.

One other note, I think it's funny how little salespeople actually know about the cars they sell. The salesperson I drove w/ just moved from a Ford only dealer to Ford-Lincoln-Mercury, so I'll cut him a little slack. For example, he didn't know the MKX had available heated rear seats. Also, doesn't the MKX have more sound insulation than the Edge? He said it doesn't but I think it does, am I right? He was a really nice guy though.

My mom and I also drove a Taurus X as well. It drove nicely also. It was an Eddie Bauer model, white w/ tan interior and the 18"s.

All I can say is I'm waiting for the Flex to come out. The salesperson I was with today says he's going to buy one when they come out.

Hi rmc523. :D Yes, the MKX does have more sound insulating material. Not only that, it has thicker side glass and extra door seals.

Good luck! :beerchug:

Hi rmc523. :D Yes, the MKX does have more sound insulating material. Not only that, it has thicker side glass and extra door seals.

Good luck! :beerchug:

I knew it did. The salesperson we had was new to the Lincoln-Mercury lineup, so like I said, he didn't know much about them. He also said the vehicle was identical to the Edge (sound insulation, suspension, etc.). While they do share most mechanicals, they each have their own specific tuning.

If I wanted to be rude and tell him everything about the MKX, I could've. Frankly, I think it'd be funny to have the guy pull out a notepad and start taking notes while on a test drive, but I'm not like that.

Thanks!

I have yet to meet a car salesman at any Ford/Lincoln-Mercury dealership that knew half of what I know as a well versed consumer... They are more concerned with "where do you want your payment to be?" My brother in-law and father in-law are both car salesmen, and I stand by my statement.

This guy seemed nice though. He kept saying "I don't want to sell down the product, but theres not much difference between the MKX and Edge", which I know is and isn't true.

• 2 weeks later...

Well,

They ride and handle almost identical and both have about the same interior noise. I do like the rear lights in the MKX a little better, but I think the Grill in the MKX is horrable and ruins it's otherwise good looks. You can also get a little better stereo in the MKX, but I honestly do not think that it really sound all that much better than the premium system in the Edge. The MKX has a little nicer interior and the cooled seats are a nice option...

Basically you just have to drive both and ask yourself if the MKX it really $8-$10 Grand better than the Edge? In my opinion it is not...

I should note that I have a 2007 Edge, but I did drive a MKX for a day as a loaner. I could not tell any significant difference in the ride, Sound, or handling. I would recomend driving them back to back....

Edited by sranger

Well,

They ride and handle almost identical and both have about the same interior noise. I do like the rear lights in the MKX a little better, but I think the Grill in the MKX is horrable and ruins it's otherwise good looks. You can also get a little better stereo in the MKX, but I honestly do not think that it really sound all that much better than the premium system in the Edge. The MKX has a little nicer interior and the cooled seats are a nice option...

Basically you just have to drive both and ask yourself if the MKX it really $8-$10 Grand better than the Edge? In my opinion it is not...

I should note that I have a 2007 Edge, but I did drive a MKX for a day as a loaner. I could not tell any significant difference in the ride, Sound, or handling. I would recomend driving them back to back....

Thanks for your input.

IMO I would go for the X. I've driven both myself and my neighbor has an AWD Edge. I really like the Edge but here in the town I live in there all I see. That kinda takes the fun out of owning a vehicle for me. I like to have something that you typically don't see on the streets all the time especially if your looking at spending $30-$40K on one. For that reason i would go with the Lincoln as i've only seen two here and one was the one that i drove. It was the Monochromatic pack. in all black. It looked really nice but no way in hell I would wanna keep something like that for long here....too many dings and stuff to ruin the finish. I love that lightbar out back and like the overall differences compared to the edge better. In terms of how the two compared ...well the Edge was your basic AWD model and like i said before the Lincoln was the mono. pack. so aside from the obvious visual differences the Edge drove a little smoother with the smaller rubber but had more wind noise coming from the mirrors and the road. Good Luck with your decision though !!!!