Camaro Prototype Interior Shots

Mark B. Morrow

Since we're talking about window switch lighting, our 04 Expedition and F-150 have a neat feature. Normally at night, all the window switches on each door are illuminated. If the driver 'locks' the window controls, all the window switches (except the driver's) turn off. They re-illuminate when the driver 'unlocks' the window controls. I think that's a cool feature.

Now let me ask this:

Is your Expedition as retarded as my mom's Escape when it comes to locking the windows? On the Escape, when you hit the window lock button, the lights go out just like your Expy...HOWEVER, when you lock the windows, it also locks the driver from operating all but the drivers window.

That has to be the dumbest thing ever that made it to production.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now let me ask this:

Is your Expedition as retarded as my mom's Escape when it comes to locking the windows? On the Escape, when you hit the window lock button, the lights go out just like your Expy...HOWEVER, when you lock the windows, it also locks the driver from operating all but the drivers window.

I've never heard of that before....none of our vehicles do that. That is pretty stupid.

Edited by suv_guy_19

It think most cars do that too. I know all 4 of ours with power locks do. Your F150 isn't having the burnt out light problem is it? We have so many lights going out after two years in our cab. Power lock lights, rotary knob lights...

Well the way you all were talking, it sounded like that was a 'special feature' or something.

I believe both our Expy and F-150 had the driver's window (only) switch burn out. We had them replaced. So, yes, I guess it's having that problem.

Now let me ask this:

I've never heard of that, that is stupid. The driver continues to have the ability to operate ALL windows in ours (and I assume most vehicles).

I've never heard of that, that is stupid. The driver continues to have the ability to operate ALL windows in ours (and I assume most vehicles).

What is also stupid is the setup on our Buick. The Driver cannot lock the front passenger window. When I'm working at the foster home and I have the kids in there that can be very inconvenient.

Sorry for the (yet another) off-topic, but this is one pet peeve of mine.

You frikkin' kids just don't get it. ;) Anyone who had to fight with the auto audiophile problems of the '70s (yes, we _did_ have systems back then) were very happy when the gov't. required automakers to allow DIN-format radios in their cars. It meant the owner could pull the crappy Delphi or Philco out of their car and replace it with whatever-the-hell Kenwood or Pioneer (or even Audiovox, if you were so inclined) system without having to trash the mounts or cut up the dash face! We could even go to the local auto upgrade shop and pull a box off the shelf, and it fit! You didn't need to buy a system customized for your car, or cover the opening with some cheap chromed-plastic faceplate. You didn't even need to pay some brain-dead idiot at Pep Boys to install it, either!

There isn't one person on this board who can honestly tell me that the factory-installed Mach 1000 is a better system for the money than an off-the shelf Kenwood or Blaupunkt or even friggin' Clarion! (well, maybe not the Clarion ;))

The DIN-format brick also means you tech-fans can go to Circuit City right now and get a digital radio/Nav/DVD system that fits your car - without Dremels, saws, or hammers.

If that means the factory radio looks like a brick, then give me bricks until the Sun goes nova!

Bravo! Some agrees with me. Of course, they could make the factory "brick" a little more attractive....on any car I plan on keeping any length of time, the stock radio is usually the first thing to go. Replacing the one in my Mazda6 would be a hopeless endeavor.

Well the way you all were talking, it sounded like that was a 'special feature' or something.

I believe both our Expy and F-150 had the driver's window (only) switch burn out. We had them replaced. So, yes, I guess it's having that problem.

Up until 2003 I believe, on the Crown Vics, the lights in the window switches were on when ever the ignition was on. Finally in 2003, someone woke up and wired it to the running light circuit.

That is honestly really stupid. The other thing that is stupid is the thing you said the other day about the map lights not being wired in to turn on with the rest when the door is opened.

I think there are mods floating around the internets on how to wire them up to the door circuit, but my mom has the (HUGE) moonroof, and that makes it all the more complicated (in terms of running wires).

Up until 2003 I believe, on the Crown Vics, the lights in the window switches were on when ever the ignition was on. Finally in 2003, someone woke up and wired it to the running light circuit.

That's interesting. Our cars are 2004 models, so, it may not be that problem, just that they went out.

I think there are mods floating around the internets on how to wire them up to the door circuit, but my mom has the (HUGE) moonroof, and that makes it all the more complicated (in terms of running wires).

So she has the Vista roof right? LOL, just kidding.

Sorry for the (yet another) off-topic, but this is one pet peeve of mine.

You frikkin' kids just don't get it. ;) Anyone who had to fight with the auto audiophile problems of the '70s (yes, we _did_ have systems back then) were very happy when the gov't. required automakers to allow DIN-format radios in their cars. It meant the owner could pull the crappy Delphi or Philco out of their car and replace it with whatever-the-hell Kenwood or Pioneer (or even Audiovox, if you were so inclined) system without having to trash the mounts or cut up the dash face! We could even go to the local auto upgrade shop and pull a box off the shelf, and it fit! You didn't need to buy a system customized for your car, or cover the opening with some cheap chromed-plastic faceplate. You didn't even need to pay some brain-dead idiot at Pep Boys to install it, either!

There isn't one person on this board who can honestly tell me that the factory-installed Mach 1000 is a better system for the money than an off-the shelf Kenwood or Blaupunkt or even friggin' Clarion! (well, maybe not the Clarion ;))

The DIN-format brick also means you tech-fans can go to Circuit City right now and get a digital radio/Nav/DVD system that fits your car - without Dremels, saws, or hammers.

If that means the factory radio looks like a brick, then give me bricks until the Sun goes nova!

I get it completely pal, I'm afraid you're the one that hasn't been paying attention. The Ford radio is a double din, big ass piece of shit in a time when everyone else and the majority of the aftermarket are selling single din radios. I couldn't agree more about having the availability of replacing stock radios with better aftermarket radios but have you priced an aftermarket double din radio lately, if you can find one? If you don't opt for one then you have to buy a single din and a block off plate to go around it and that looks even worse in your dash then the damn junky ass Ford brick. As far as the Mach sound system in the Mustang, I couldn't agree with you more. It's an overpriced piece of junk. For the money you pay for it you could go to Best Buy and buy a complete sound system that just destroys the Mach sound system and probably have some money left over, and it would look better to boot. If anything I think Ford should drop the double din junk and move to a better single din radio in their cars.

I get it completely pal, I'm afraid you're the one that hasn't been paying attention. The Ford radio is a double din, big ass piece of shit in a time when everyone else and the majority of the aftermarket are selling single din radios. I couldn't agree more about having the availability of replacing stock radios with better aftermarket radios but have you priced an aftermarket double din radio lately, if you can find one? If you don't opt for one then you have to buy a single din and a block off plate to go around it and that looks even worse in your dash then the damn junky ass Ford brick.

Well, that's where my mistake is. My '01 Tribute (a DX model) has a single-DIN radio in a double-DIN opening. The lower half has a bin with a door on it that's just the right size for CD cases. I thought Ford would still be selling those, and you could get a factory block-off plate (or bin). I thought you guys wanted something more stylish in place of a block radio. I apologize.

Edit -

BTW, that double-DIN opening is also a good idea, if the lack of a proper blanking plate isn't. That opening is there for the factory-installed CD changer, which, again, is a convenience so you don't have to find a proper mount for an aftermarket one, or a small power amp, in the trunk/cargo area or under a seat. It's also a great spot for a DIY miniITX car computer (barring heat issues).

Edited by syrtran

I get it completely pal, I'm afraid you're the one that hasn't been paying attention. The Ford radio is a double din, big ass piece of shit in a time when everyone else and the majority of the aftermarket are selling single din radios. I couldn't agree more about having the availability of replacing stock radios with better aftermarket radios but have you priced an aftermarket double din radio lately, if you can find one? If you don't opt for one then you have to buy a single din and a block off plate to go around it and that looks even worse in your dash then the damn junky ass Ford brick. As far as the Mach sound system in the Mustang, I couldn't agree with you more. It's an overpriced piece of junk. For the money you pay for it you could go to Best Buy and buy a complete sound system that just destroys the Mach sound system and probably have some money left over, and it would look better to boot. If anything I think Ford should drop the double din junk and move to a better single din radio in their cars.

I don't agree with that, aftermarket nav systems with flip up screens are shit. Most of the time it blocks the majority of the dash controls and just looks very 'radio shack'.

And as for the new gen Mustang interior, with all the trimming like premier trim with the stitched brow and upgraded armrests, aluminum trim, heated seats, the comfort group with the autodim mirror is a lot nicer then many cars out there and you don't have to look at anything while driving. Personally I think a 3 series interior looks like shit. Boring plastics, an impossible to decipher radio and climate system, unintuitive switches, an gauges that look like cut-out paper.

I don't agree with that, aftermarket nav systems with flip up screens are shit. Most of the time it blocks the majority of the dash controls and just looks very 'radio shack'.

Aside from you, who's talking about aftermarket nav systems? We were talking about single din and double din stereo units. Frankly a navigation system in most vehicles is a waste of time and space. They spend 99% of the time not getting used and they require a lot of your center stack. If you actually need a nav system for a long road trip buy a portable one. They work just as well and it's a lot easier to download updated maps to them.

Aside from you, who's talking about aftermarket nav systems? We were talking about single din and double din stereo units. Frankly a navigation system in most vehicles is a waste of time and space. They spend 99% of the time not getting used and they require a lot of your center stack. If you actually need a nav system for a long road trip buy a portable one. They work just as well and it's a lot easier to download updated maps to them.

You bring up a good point, aftermarket GPS navis are so common, why isn't there a dedicated spot for one? It's illegal in CA to use the windshield suction cup mount (although I do and so does everyone else I know).

I don't want an ugly mount glued on my dash.

Well, a double din gives you the ability to use any aftermarket system, single din does not. I'm definitely not a fan of the new integrated systems in the Focus/Escape as many new import vehicles have adopted that leaves you 0 choices. I've never needed nav nor see any forthcoming need for it personally(as I don't forsee my ability to get where I'm going deteriorating anytime soon) and think its one of the dumbest thing added in modern cars. I did over 10,000 in home inspections before cell phones and nav and never had an issue. And its becoming quite a regluar site to see someone in front of you farting around with a Tomtom and not paying attention to the road. Most likely the asshole is just setting it to talk him to the grocery store again.

Edited by kevinb120

I'll wait for a production shot. It seems as if the upper dash covering is missing. I hope it isn't too late to change a few of the ergo flaws on this car, namely all the gauges near the bottom of the center stack.

Check out the position of these gauges in the original '69 Camaro:

1969-chevrolet-camaro-ss-396-3.jpg

I'd wager that they stay right where they are for "...old times sake".

-Ovaltine

Edited by Ovaltine

-Ovaltine

They were annoying in the 60's. They will be annoying today. There's a reason certain design elements didn't pass the test of time.

All things considered, I believe that the Camaro is relatively faithful to the show car concept. And that it does look like an old Mavericks dash. That's not so bad. It could be worse. Look at the Malibu. Yuck! Painted plastic is a horror story waiting to happen, just look in a Mini that's been driven and used as a car and not a favoite toy.

If you don't like the Mustang dash, brace yourself, there's more to come like that one. I don't see Ford or anyone else changing the retro cues, and they seem to be a bunch of copycats these days. So, the Mustang is a success in todays' marketplace, they are going to copy the successful car. I happen to like the Mustang dash, and body work. They are pleasing to the eye, and provide some design continuity within the brand and the car itself. Not many can/have done that in a long time.

-Ovaltine

The 1969 Camaro shared it's dash shell with the Nova of the same year and changed the dash pad, the gauges and the gauge bezels for a different look. The console with the gauges is a carry over from the previous year Camaro.

Edited by Watchdevil