Most Overpriced Vehicles

silvrsvt

I think their criteria for picking out vehicles is a bit convoluted, but Ford makes the list with the Explorer, F-150, Mercury Mountaineer and of all things..the Grand Marquis!

http://www.forbes.com/2007/12/27/cars-over...h_0102cars.html

The vast majority of the "overpriced" cars are mid-sized SUV's which have fallen out of favor with the car buying public...hmmm

The mid-sizers have always been over priced, profit margins are huge because there is no content there. They are inexpensive to build and engineer yet people use to pay big bucks to have them. It was the perfect winfall back in the 90s and one of the reasons Ford collapsed after the boom.

The Crown Vic, GM and, Town Cars are the same. They are the next best thing to buying a new used car.

F-150 starts at $17,345. How is that overpriced? Thats dirt cheap. Most compact and mid-size sedans don't even start there. Malibu certainly doesn't. Does Tundra start at 17k? Nope, try $22,290. Same with Grand Marquis, how many other full-size, rear wheel drive, eight cylinder sedans start at $25,000?

I think their criteria for picking out vehicles is a bit convoluted, but Ford makes the list with the Explorer, F-150, Mercury Mountaineer and of all things..the Grand Marquis!

http://www.forbes.com/2007/12/27/cars-over...h_0102cars.html

The vast majority of the "overpriced" cars are mid-sized SUV's which have fallen out of favor with the car buying public...hmmm

another dumbA$$ mis-leading bunch of claptrap from pseudo expert loungechair experts....all bar one are domestics ( bias????? ) and if it were evn the slightest bit close to reality EVERY BMW would have made the list...........and wheres the Maybach...want to talk depreciation????? Audis?????

Edited by Deanh

F-150 starts at $17,345. How is that overpriced? Thats dirt cheap. Most compact and mid-size sedans don't even start there. Malibu certainly doesn't. Does Tundra start at 17k? Nope, try $22,290. Same with Grand Marquis, how many other full-size, rear wheel drive, eight cylinder sedans start at $25,000?

Note how, with the majority of those models (excluding the Grand Cherokee, I think), they chose the highest trim line to call overpriced.

When you slant it like that, you can call almost anything overpriced.

local price around here for a grand marquis is closer to $19-20k. sounds pretty reasonable to me. especially considering 24c-30h mpg numbers aren't all that different than typical mid-size FWD cars for $10k more

Grand Marquis LS with most all options selling for $19,000 That's with a $5,000 rebate. So guess an old platform car is just over priced??

This list is pure BULLSHIT!!!

I think they missed a few in the overpriced list. Let me add some pictures of overpriced shit for our domestic bashing friends over at Forbes.

Toyota%20FJ%20Cruiser%20F34%20Blog.jpg

If you're into paying way too much for an offroad wannabe with lots of interior room but a back seat that couldn't hold a 4 year old comfortably the FJ is for you.

07_Toyota4Runner_09.jpg

Also from our friends over at Toyota we give you the way overprices 4 Runner. Why is it overpriced you ask? It's a Toyota and don't you know you're just supposed to pay more because it's a Toyota? Unlike previous generations of 4 Runner this one has an offroad prowess somewhere just south of shitty. Starting price? $28,015 The overpriced Explorer meanwhile starts at $25.755.

2007_Toyota_Tacomal_ext_1.jpg

It seems our friends over at Forbes were not aware that Toyota Motor Corp. existed when they made their overpriced vehicles list because for some reason they keep red flagging on mine. If you just want to pay too much for a midsize truck, the Tacoma has got you covered. This pictured version retails in the 24 to 25 grand range which by the way over at your Chevy dealer will get you into a Crew Cab Colorado with more interior room and 4 wheel drive. Hmmmm.

2007-Toyota-Tundra-Double-Cab.jpg

Finally if overpriced, underwhelming and ugly is your bag, then grab a Tundra. Not only does it feature a frame that bends in a stiff breeze but it comes complete with snapping cam shafts, recalls and oh by the way it's base price is $5,000 more then Ford's overpriced F150.

This list is pure BULLSHIT!!!

I think they missed a few in the overpriced list. Let me add some pictures of overpriced shit for our domestic bashing friends over at Forbes.

Toyota%20FJ%20Cruiser%20F34%20Blog.jpg

If you're into paying way too much for an offroad wannabe with lots of interior room but a back seat that couldn't hold a 4 year old comfortably the FJ is for you.

07_Toyota4Runner_09.jpg

Also from our friends over at Toyota we give you the way overprices 4 Runner. Why is it overpriced you ask? It's a Toyota and don't you know you're just supposed to pay more because it's a Toyota? Unlike previous generations of 4 Runner this one has an offroad prowess somewhere just south of shitty. Starting price? $28,015 The overpriced Explorer meanwhile starts at $25.755.

2007_Toyota_Tacomal_ext_1.jpg

It seems our friends over at Forbes were not aware that Toyota Motor Corp. existed when they made their overpriced vehicles list because for some reason they keep red flagging on mine. If you just want to pay too much for a midsize truck, the Tacoma has got you covered. This pictured version retails in the 24 to 25 grand range which by the way over at your Chevy dealer will get you into a Crew Cab Colorado with more interior room and 4 wheel drive. Hmmmm.

2007-Toyota-Tundra-Double-Cab.jpg

Finally if overpriced, underwhelming and ugly is your bag, then grab a Tundra. Not only does it feature a frame that bends in a stiff breeze but it comes complete with snapping cam shafts, recalls and oh by the way it's base price is $5,000 more then Ford's overpriced F150.

....meanwhile in other news, Toyota announced a new advertising slogan today.

Toyota

Building overpriced vehicles for everybody.

BTW, that Tundra sounds very appealing!! :hysterical:

Edited by rmc523

Please consider the following is coming from a loyal Ford owner not a Consumer Reports writer:

How can you not agree the F-150 isn't overpriced when its basically had a $4K rebate hanging over it since 2001? They advertise them $10K off sticker for Christ's sake! My trucked is loaded with nearly every option for an FX4 minus roof and it stickered for over $41K ! For freaking what? It's a pickup truck! All these options for all this money and it doesn't even have an engine light or passenger vanity mirror light for God's sake! As Ford employees do you not think trucks your company thinks are worth $41K shouldn't have common courtesy shit like this that at the most costs them $5 considering how they fuck suppliers?

That said my truck was purchased used with 801 miles. After 6 hours of haggling the truck was purchased for $31K which was an ok deal IMO even considering it was certified pre-owned which meant 3.9% and 100K powertrain. My brother who is a loyal Ford guy said while its a sharp truck felt it was a $28K or $29K truck. I see where he's coming from.

The reason he buys used Mountaineers and Exploder's is because they depreciate so freaking fast you can get a decent vehicle with low miles for a fraction of new sticker. Of course you have to get an extended warranty because the 5spd trannies are still garbage but these warranties are cheap through his credit union.

Ford's biggest f'up is all the al la cart options that don't show up in the pricing guides and until they 86 the vast majority of stand alone options and package these options in consistent packages for each model like those slant eyes at Toyota and Honda do their vehicles particularly their high dollar ones will have piss poor resale.

I've stuck with the brand through thick and thin but I'm getting pretty sick of these elementary asinine mistakes Ford continues to make.