Ford to buy Chrysler

CSMJ

It could happen!!

Ford will sell Volvo and 49% of FMC and do it.

The only problem is what to do with the workers. Ford's workers would get first crack at the job openings just like the Ford/Visteon workers.

It makes perfect sence, since Chrysler has a new foundry in Mexico Ford would use it for there's in 2010.

It could happen!!

The only problem is what to do with the workers. Ford's workers would get first crack at the job openings just like the Ford/Visteon workers.

It makes perfect sence, since Chrysler has a new foundry in Mexico Ford would use it for there's in 2010.

CSMJ, you're right, it could. Emphasize that large 5 letter word- COULD. My thoughts on this? No, it's not going to happen. First, if Ford sold off Volvo and supposedly the 49% of FMC to do it, correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Ford mortgage it's plants and other facilities so it could continue to downsize-a.k.a.-The Way Forward(or Backword)with the last round of buyouts/ retirements last year, along with cost savings toward some new product developement? That is a big gamble in itself. Second, what makes you think that Ford workers would get first crack at any of the jobs that remained, assuming Ford, does, in fact, take over Chrysler? Hell, when the Visteon disaster came in, then the ACH debacle after the Visteon deal fell apart, look at how many of those employees that are still left at ACH have been hung out to dry by both Ford AND the UAW!!! I don't know how many of those that are still left at ACH, but I'm sure there are quite a few, still waiting to get back to a Ford plant somewhere......what does that tell you? And what about our fellow UAW workers at Chrysler, what do you think will be on their minds on still being able to keep their jobs, eh? You think they won't be looking at doing that? Oh yes they will!! Bet you ass on it! And, by the way, a lot of the various locals haven't even gotten their local contracts barely started, let alone voted on and done. Can you imagine the absolutely screwed up mess regarding ALL the contracts between Ford and Chrysler, if this were to happen? It would be too hard to comprehend at this point. And, by the way, the foundry wouldn't even play into this mess, either. And, lastly, have you been following the price of a share of Ford Common Stock lately? I just saw that it has dropped down to a low of $6.17 as of 3:50pm today. I can imagine what the price of Class B is for those that have it, mainly, all the bigshots. Do you think that the majority of shareholders are going to be able to risk Ford taking over Chrysler? No, I don't think so! I'am glad I don't hold but a few shares of Ford Common now! Regardless, CSMJ, the whole thing is just a big question mark, no one knows where all of this is going to wind up, including Ford for that matter. Just my thoughts, hope you have Happy New Year and same goes for all of the hard working Ford people who are hanging in tough.

Edited by NoMoVisteon

It could happen!!

PLEASE, I need the toll free number of your crack dealer. You must be smokin' some super good rock.

I love it. Ford buy Honda? It could've and didn't, (dumb them) and if the opportunity arises again, yep, they should mortgage more to do it.

Ford buy Toyoty? Does Bill Gates have enough cash and credit to do that? Maybe, but Ford is billions short.

Ford to buy Chrysler!!!!!!!! All you need do before you ask yourself if they could raise the cash is------------>why would they want to? Since Ford is the purchaser, what improvement could they help Ford with? I mean, a company in trouble who is going to purchase a competitor is certainly going to get a huge bang for its buck, is it not? Therefore, if it was a "good marriage," the big bang would be obvious to even us uneducated autoworkers. So then, tell all of us what that big bang is to make this believable!!!!!!!

This just in................. Ford to buy Studebaker! All u haters can foff :hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:

Anyone remember Red? Red Poling?

Right when he retired in the 90's, he made a great prediction.... that the auto industry was overpopulated and some manufacturers would have to drop out...

So Ford was written off close to two years ago in the media, and now it's Chrysler's turn huh? Couple of days ago, we hear of a consolidation in the Chinese auto market.

We NEED Chrysler to survive so people can look at them as the worst of the American manufacturers... it would be a given that if they were gone, that title would be ungraciously bestowed upon Ford. No one slams the imports, it's always U.S. made.

This just in................. Ford to buy Studebaker! All u haters can foff :hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:

Anyone remember Red? Red Poling?

Right when he retired in the 90's, he made a great prediction.... that the auto industry was overpopulated and some manufacturers would have to drop out...

So Ford was written off close to two years ago in the media, and now it's Chrysler's turn huh? Couple of days ago, we hear of a consolidation in the Chinese auto market.

We NEED Chrysler to survive so people can look at them as the worst of the American manufacturers... it would be a given that if they were gone, that title would be ungraciously bestowed upon Ford. No one slams the imports, it's always U.S. made.

Local, your last paragraph brought back memories. Thirty-some years ago Ford, GM and Chrysler were the only

games in town. Toyota was building crap, Nissan was Datsun and also building crap. Before Iaccoca went to Chrysler

they were swirling the drain.

At that time I was operating a computerized drafting table (a Gerber w/a HP PDP-11 front end if anyone cares). It

was 20 ft long and as you'd expect drew the car parts the engineers and designers fed the computer. On week

I was running a drawing that was taking days. It was an exploded view of an entire car with measurements and

tolerances. Finally as it finished the pen went down to the corner and drew the designers name, dept, patent #s

and such. Then much to my surprise it drew the Chrysler Pentastar.

I later found out that we were doing some of their work because we NEEDED them to survive. But the reason

was vastly different then. We needed them to survive so that the gubbment wouldn't come after Ford & GM

for anti-trust violations.

How times have changed.

It could happen!!

I can't be bothered to read what you write anymore,everything you write about is so far from the truth.

does Chrysler actually have anything that Ford would want?

No point buying Jeep when SUV sales are headed to the toilet. No point getting the economy cars because they are shit and run on Hyundai/Mitsubishi engines. The Hemi? Puh-lease. With $4 gas those will be sold with huge incentives on the hood.

Ford already had the chance to buy Jeep when AMC was going down the toilet back in the mid-late eighties.....they didn't buy it because it would compete with the Bronco. AMC offered it to Ford before they offered it to Chrysler I was told. Stupid move? Decide for yourself.

Jeep....Simply the name takes us back to the Rats of Tobruk, the Battle of the Bulge, Patton's Charge, and the tens of thousands of muddied, bloodied and dying Americans they hauled back and forth between battlefields and field hospitals.

Is that reaching a little? Then tell me, do you get the same feeling when you cruise around in your Explorer?....."Only in a Jeep"

If Ford does nothing else, and Chrysler goes down the crapper.....Ford should at least take Jeep. Ford was used as a second source by the Govt. during WWII because Willys couldn't build them fast enough! We built right at 227,000. It's part of our company's history, we shouldn't be allowed to let it die.

One last thing before you flame me...and I KNOW you're going to. I own two Fords and NO Jeeps...right now. I have owned several in the past and will own more in the future I am sure. Jeeps are like Harleys...they get in your blood.

One last thing before you flame me...and I KNOW you're going to. I own two Fords and NO Jeeps...right now. I have owned several in the past and will own more in the future I am sure. Jeeps are like Harleys...they get in your blood.

If you want to buy a Wrangler made by Brothers are Toledo, go right ahead.

And you are right. Jeep does have heritage. But I don't see it adding to Ford's bottom line like it did for Chrysler in the 90s. There is no SUV explosion starting like when Chrysler bought them. And the Wrangler won't add enough sales to justify its' purchase price.

I think Ford is better off developing its' own Bronco.

And you are right. Jeep does have heritage. But I don't see it adding to Ford's bottom line like it did for Chrysler in the 90s. There is no SUV explosion starting like when Chrysler bought them. And the Wrangler won't add enough sales to justify its' purchase price.

Only a real Bronco though, not a FWD wannabe. I have no problem with the Bronco concept only that the name be changed to something else.

I wish Ford had a 4 door Jeep Wrangler I'd buy it.

Buying weak outside companies is what put Ford in the position they are in today.

When Ford had the big bucks they stupidly bought and then poured billions into all of those looser companies instead of investing it back into Ford, Mercury and Lincoln.

Hopefully they can sell off all of that crap that was nothing but a distraction and drain of resources and rebuild Ford, Mercury and Lincoln only.

J-150 - I ain't saying buy Chrysler out lock stock and barrell, I'd just like to see Ford take over Jeep is all. No, you're right, there is no SUV explosion, but there'll ALWAYS be buyers for Wranglers! 2 or 4 door models.

CSMJ - I agree with you wholeheartedly, I'd buy one in a minute too. And so would many others, IF the company didn't "Re-engineer" the damned thing to death....."We need to make it more like a FORD!" which would ruin it.

F250 - Again, I am not saying buy out Chrysler altogether (which Ford won't do anyway) I'd simply like to see us pick up the JEEP part of that company. (which we won't either.......just dreaming)

Get in touch with furious1auto. He lives in the 'hood' neighborhood and can connect you up

You know where to get it, why don't you set him up with your connection! I do live in a modest home, but what is the alternative. Being an uppity prick with a house I will never own, and a note so big I cannot stand up for myself at contract time! The way I have it figured I should have my $80,000 house paid off in ten years if I maintain. And I could still afford it if I made $30,000 a year annually! What's wrong with wanting to hold the deed to your house, instead of letting a bank. I forgot I live in a world where people prefer to rent their cars (lease) and don't mind spending huge amounts of money that they will never posess on a house they don't intend to pay off. Frankly I'm insulted. It doesn't bother me so much to take a jab when the person delivering it is not so little Mr. I got! "I got a job at Ford, I got a big house, My kids go to the best schools, I got a expensive car". No wounder people hate autoworkers, and I have to defend myself constantly GEEZ!

You know where to get it, why don't you set him up with your connection! I do live in a modest home, but what is the alternative. Being an uppity prick with a house I will never own, and a note so big I cannot stand up for myself at contract time! The way I have it figured I should have my $80,000 house paid off in ten years if I maintain. And I could still afford it if I made $30,000 a year annually! What's wrong with wanting to hold the deed to your house, instead of letting a bank. I forgot I live in a world where people prefer to rent their cars (lease) and don't mind spending huge amounts of money that they will never posess on a house they don't intend to pay off. Frankly I'm insulted. It doesn't bother me so much to take a jab when the person delivering it is not so little Mr. I got! "I got a job at Ford, I got a big house, My kids go to the best schools, I got a expensive car". No wounder people hate autoworkers, and I have to defend myself constantly GEEZ!

My father paid $800.00 for our house in 1951. I always wanted to have a nice house. Now I have it. If people think that I am uppity, too bad. The bulk of the mafia kingpins and drug lords probably live in this neighborhood, anyway, and nicer houses are more likely to get robbed unless the mafia lives in them. Furious is probably safer where he is, especially since I don't own a gun because of restrictive laws in Canada. I am a sitting duck.

Edited by Trimdingman