Thread for praising the new F150

RichardJensen

http://media.ford.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=27473

FRD2008011285112_PV.jpg

FRD2008011286124_PV.jpg

I think the FX-4 looks sharp, inside and out. I think the interior is world-class, and with things like a center console that can hold hanging folders as well as laptops, it's the best 4-wheeled office on the market today (edit: 'in the market in 7-9 months). Granted no figures on HP, torque, towing or payload, but if Ford says they're improved, well, they're improved. Payload has probably been boosted on the crew & extended cab models, where it was not class leading before, towing is probably no longer tied for best in class with Toyota. Gas mileage is improved, and you can get body colored and flat black grilles instead of the chromed $50k Platinum edition.

Edited by RichardJensen

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It's beautiful, I'm slightly unimpressed by the plastic grille on the FX4, which would be the model I would buy to use off road, but other than that...good God what a truck. Should I have the money I'm debating between the BOSS or the 4.4 Diesel when they come. Ford has done it again...and it will grow on all of us...

exactly...two days ago when i saw the leaked photo i was unsure of it......but now im sold......im still trying to accept the Ram as a truck though but im working on it

I'm still not a fan of the "brace-face" Navi, so I don't think the same grill on an F150 will win me over anytime soon. However, the lower trim level grills look much more palatable.

Edited by J-150

Fortunately for Ford, the 2009 Ford F-Series won't disappoint its faithful. Indeed, when Ford engineers or a knowledgeable salesperson takes a customer or journalist through the development of this pickup truck, one can't help but wonder if Ford would have lost its second-place status in U.S. sales to Toyota if it applied the same level of resources to all its vehicles as it does to its pickup.

Business Week

We already brought you official photography of the newly-revamped 2009 Ford F-150 just after midnight today, but that's hardly enough attention for America's best-selling vehicle. Now that the Blue Oval boys have rolled out the new truck into Cobo Arena - with help from Toby Keith and a cast of characters - we see little reason to think that the F-series won't retain its crown.

autoblog

Ford is sandbagging the numbers just like they did with the '04 F150.

What the release says is that =all= numbers are up, and when you realize that the 3V 4.6L makes 292hp in the Explorer, you can bet your bottom dollar the 5.4 ain't gonna be making 300 anymore.

IMO the knee-jerk hatred that this truck has generated is dang near a guarantee of success; after all, it was for the Escape. Go back and substitute "Escape" for "F150" in the critiques and you'll have the same basic opinions from the same approximate people.

Oh, and I also checked out the buttons and, unfortunately, they are all pretty much necessary for the stereo system--Ford made the mistake of showing the most kitted out model that -didn't- have the nav system, instead of showing a nav-equipped model and a basic model (with manual HVAC and fewer stereo options).

IMO the knee-jerk hatred that this truck has generated is dang near a guarantee of success; after all, it was for the Escape. Go back and substitute "Escape" for "F150" in the critiques and you'll have the same basic opinions from the same approximate people.

I was thinking the same thing! :hysterical:

So I guess the new inidication of people who hate the product here is inverse to how successful it will be :P

I was thinking the same thing! :hysterical:

So I guess the new inidication of people who hate the product here is inverse to how successful it will be :P

The Escape failed to recover Ford's lost sales crowns to the zero-to-hero CR-V.

Even after dumping a shitload of them to fleets, and adding the sales of all the various versions available, it continues to be outsold each month by the one-line-only, king-of-retail-sales CR-V.

And then you have the 500, Freestyle, and Fusion, which people also hated.

So no, if this thing works, it won't be because of that. It's already the sales leader and Ford is just playing their cards as good as they can.

That being said (and back on topic), the only thing that really seems retarded to me, are the tailights. I've already gone into pretty much every popular truck forum by now, and everyone seems to hate them, even those who like the truck. They associate them with the FuckUs. They don't see them as a trademark Ford cue. Showing them prominently with the blue FX4 pics certainly didn't help.

Edited by pcsario

I don't see how you can say they're an improvement, and I'm not against brightwork.

They were just poorly executed. Everything else seems to convey a sense of solidity and thoughness.

In any case I agree, it's not a big deal, but I wouldn't be surprised if Ford pulled another quick fix on those, ala FuckUs.

I don't see how you can say they're an improvement, and I'm not against brightwork.

They were just poorly executed. Everything else seems to convey a sense of solidity and thoughness.

In any case I agree, it's not a big deal, but I wouldn't be surprised if Ford pulled another quick fix on those, ala FuckUs.

I have to tell you that I think they look nice, and that isn't even the cheerleader in me. I don't like those on the Fusion, but I like these.

I am onboard with everything except the tail lights now. I just saw some of the photos on Ford Media. The truck looks FANTASTIC in the front (even the platinum). Those pictures they chose to release were lousy. I love the truck now.

But, again, as I said .. the taillights - they need to be fixed. They look out of place. It looks like they grafted Focus tail lights onto a truck. It also screams "I'm a Tundra!" with how they ZIP forward like that. It's just odd. It would have been okay if they had done that slighty, but they made it look EXTREME. I don't know. I hope they can fix it. I'm onboard with the front of the truck now though.

The weird thing is - the way that the brightwork is setup in the back, it actually makes you look at the rear of the truck. Why? That is dumb. Focus should be on the front.

Edited by SVT_MAN

They match the chamfer on the front headlights, that's why they're faceted on the bottom, and since changing them would require changing the stamping dies for 3 different bed lengths, I don't think there will be any fixes to the shape, and frankly, I don't mind the chrome plating in them, it's adds a touch of visual luster to the business end of the truck--and it's something that I don't believe any other make is doing.

It provides what will be for many shoppers a subconscious cue that makes the F150 stand out. People will see little things like that, but will say, "The F150 just stood out to me" without being able to say why exactly.

And for most people, even serious truck users, it's never even going to come up as an objection.

Also, I would expect that the el-cheapo XL models won't have taillights like that.

It provides what will be for many shoppers a subconscious cue that makes the F150 stand out. People will see little things like that, but will say, "The F150 just stood out to me" without being able to say why exactly.

If it is a subconscious cue, how are you aware of this? :stirpot: