Edsel's New Job?

FordBuyer

Ford Motor Co

Ford to Increase Assistance to Nascar Teams, Edsel Ford Says

By Gene Laverty

Jan. 24 (Bloomberg) -- Ford Motor Co., which reported a fourth-quarter loss of $2.75 billion today, will boost its efforts to win in Nascar this season by increasing technical assistance and information sharing between teams.

On-track success will help fuel the turnaround of the No. 2 U.S. automaker, said Edsel Ford, great-grandson of founder Henry Ford and a director of the company. Dearborn, Michigan-based Ford, which won seven of 36 races on Nascar's top circuit last year, doesn't release its spending on racing.

``Most of the feedback that I get is that shareholders and customers and employees are glad we're there,'' Ford told reporters at Roush Fenway Racing's Nascar shop in Concord, North Carolina. ``Quite frankly, a lot of them are sitting in the stands on any one given Sunday.''

Automakers are stepping up cooperation between teams since Toyota Motor Corp. entered Nascar's top series last year. The Japanese manufacturer, which is building an engineering center in North Carolina, has developed engines for its teams and encourages sharing of car-building information.

The other companies have lagged behind General Motors Corp.'s Chevrolet, which won 26 of 36 races last season. Ford was second and Chrysler Holding LLC's Dodge won three. Toyota, which didn't win a race last year, recruited Joe Gibbs Racing for this year and its cars were among the fastest in preseason testing at Daytona International Speedway in Florida.

Ford's Sprint Cup series race teams -- Roush Fenway, Yates Racing, Wood Brothers Racing and Robby Gordon Racing -- will have access to data and equipment at Roush Fenway's campus in Concord this season. Yates, which runs an engine-building venture with Roush, moved to an adjacent building on the site last year.

``Don't underestimate our resolve,'' Ford said. ``In Nascar, we have a lot of hungry, motivated teams and drivers to go along with a very smart group of engineers.''

Edsel Ford, 59, is one of two Ford family members on the board of Ford Motor. The Ford family has 40 percent voting power through 71 million Class B shares. Edsel Ford is the cousin of company Chairman William Clay Ford Jr.

To contact the reporter on this story: Gene Laverty in Charlotte, North Carolina, at glaverty@bloomberg.net

Last Updated: January 24, 2008 20:21 EST

I guess that's the idea. I wonder if Ford really ought to bother at this point in their history. Is NASCAR really that relevent to new cars sales anymore?

That's what I'm thinking. I'd guess that for people that watch NASCAR it could have a slight impact, but really all it would be is advertising the Ford name (and Fusion, sort of).

To me, it may be better to spend these resources on other projects, but I'm sure they've done research to show that NASCAR does have a big enough impact on sales to continue to sponser it.

I guess that's the idea. I wonder if Ford really ought to bother at this point in their history. Is NASCAR really that relevent to new cars sales anymore?

I think at this oint, Ford needs to reallocate marketing dollars to direct model support. Pushing the Taurus will sell more units than having a Taurus sticker on the front of a spec fiberglass shell.

I don't pretend to be an expert on NASCAR, but some of you have a rather shallow view of the sport's impact on sales. It isn't simply about seeing a clamshell bodied racecar with a Ford sticker on the front pull into victory lane. That isn't what sells cars anymore. We know that - but you see, that is just the tip of the iceberg in terms of marketing a brand in NASCAR these days. Consider the following:

1. Okay first of all - Ford races the Fusion in NASCAR - not the Taurus ...

2. Giving up in NASCAR would be like giving up on the midsize sedan market. This is true even more now that Toyota is in NASCAR. How would it look from a PR stand point if NASCAR left the series now that Toyota has joined? Not only would Ford-faithfuls throw a fit, but it would just plain look like Ford was giving up. Sure, maybe most Americans aren't nationalistic when it comes to their choice of car purchase - but A LOT of NASCAR fans are. They threw a huge fit when Toyota joined the fold. If Ford left, it would look like a dog who gave up on a fight, walking away with its tail between its legs. The press would have a hey-day. "Ford admits defeat to Toyota on the road and the track!" Why doesn't Ford just raise a big white flag in front of their corporate offices?

3. Ford's main problem last year was the COT-style car. Jack Roush fell behind on the car because Chevrolet teams cheated on their testing and development of the car. Jack Roush won't hold punches this year. Ford has caught up on their COT program. Matt Kenseth, Carl Edwards, and Greg Biffle all had successful COT programs by the end of last year.

4. NASCAR isn't relevant to new car sales? That's like saying Ford shouldn't visit the auto shows anymore. Ford has SEVERAL marketing opportunties opened because they are involved in NASCAR. If Ford doesn't let Matt Kenseth, Carl Edwards, or Greg Biffle drive THEIR cars, then what type of cars will they drive and promote? Probably Toyota since they pay the biggest checks in NASCAR.

Do NOT underestimate the marketing leverage that Ford has not only on the track in terms of pacecars and trucks, but also special displays inside the track for their brand. Ford only gains this access BECAUSE they have cars on the track. It wouldn't even make sense to market to NASCAR fans if they didn't have cars on the track. Ford also enjoys the position of being a title sponsor for many of the races throughout the year. If Ford pulled out of NASCAR, fans wouldn't connect Fords with a driver or a car on the track. Ford would have no legitimate reason to even have a marketed presence inside the track or on television.

People who say Ford should pull out of NASCAR are not looking at all aspects of Ford's involvement in the sport ...

I personally know people who have bought both Fords and Chevys because of NASCAR recently. There are a lot of people, especially from the south, who see a car on the television because of NASCAR and buy it because it "looks cool." (You have to question their taste when they buy a Monte Carlo because of Dale Jr or Jeff Gordon like one of my buddies did, but it happens ...)

Edited by SVT_MAN

It doesn't look like Ford is allocating all that much in additional funding.

My take is that Ford is in Nascar predominantly because of Yates, Roush, and the Wood Brothers.

It's not as though they wouldn't accept another team switching to Ford, but they are not actively looking for other teams to switch.

Apart from the "keeping a hand in the game" aspect, Yates, Roush, and the Wood Brothers have ties to Ford Motor going back to the 60s. The Wood Brothers supplied the pit crews for Ford's factory teams at Le Mans.

• 2 months later...

maybe the next logical move would be for the big three to join forces and create the car of tomorrow model at a common plant...I dont really see how NASCAR would be much of a plus anymore otherwise...I'd hate to see ford pull out of racing, but if its going to be generic IROC type racing in a car everyone knows does not exist in the car buying world, I hope its not too costly...if NASCAR's popularity stays with the COT, perhaps somebody ought to look at a COT model for fans...heck they managed to sell that 'inflatable looking' thing they called montecarlo- must be some kind of market there.

personally I'd love to see new camaro/challenger/mustang models on a transam style circuit- no more left turn only in a unavailable car, but a actual production based body with a production based drivetrain...to me that might actually SELL some cars, where as a badged COT is basically a common billboard for every manufacturer to hang their logo on...CART/INDY are similar- might draw crowds for advertising, but not really a way to promote your product if its not really involved...

if production based cars are racing, things like weight vs structural integrity and safety are paramount, and stiffer/lighter tweaks that just might help out with migrating to car models in coming years would be great...cant tell me the stuff learned back in the 60's/70's didnt give some ideas for better production cars next year...nowadays let them all race production based models with a common sized gastank and things could become quite interesting- just an opinion.

Imho, the number of times the race is aired, retelevised and put on cable to run I have no idea how many times is all positive name exposure.

Like the Hollywood and political types say,"any exposure in the media is better than no exposure". And I think that Ford is maximizing it's non-dollar advertising as much and often as they possibly can. Even if it's not first on race day. The rules are written such that the cars are almost always racing for hours, to end in a climatic pit lane race, a couple rounds on yellow and then the dash to the finish. So that even if they loose the race, the brand name is getting bandied about throughout and being reinforced strongly at the end. That's advertising for you. :stats: