Build a New Navigator from Volvo XC 90

I Still feel Ford should consider dumping the current Explorer / Navigator and build a new design from the Volvo XC90.

They need to stop having so many platforms / models.

With gas now over $4.25 its time to consolidate, there is no reason families in the USA here need such a large Truck based SUV.

Maybe someone with out there has some software that can edit a Volvo XC90 and show us what a Lincoln version would look like.

Call it Lincoln LXS

:stats:

Edited by grimesdr

Ford should consider dumping the current Navigator and build a new design from the Volvo XC90 .

I don't know about that one. Maybe an additional model to the lineup, but not a replacement. Actually, if you think about it, the MKT will essentially be Lincoln's XC90 anyways. Navigator has always and likely will always be a full size SUV.

Your idea would be like making a Cadillac Lambda and naming it Escalade, to me at least.

• 4 weeks later...
I don't know about that one. Maybe an additional model to the lineup, but not a replacement. Actually, if you think about it, the MKT will essentially be Lincoln's XC90 anyways. Navigator has always and likely will always be a full size SUV.

Your idea would be like making a Cadillac Lambda and naming it Escalade, to me at least.

Sorry if I do not know what a Cadillac Lambda is, but the XC90 would be a great platform for Ford to do some sheat metal work to and make is a Lincoln MKS-X

But then again the designers are living in the past with the marketers

Sorry if I do not know what a Cadillac Lambda is, but the XC90 would be a great platform for Ford to do some sheat metal work to and make is a Lincoln MKS-X

But then again the designers are living in the past with the marketers

This is going to be annoying having to respond to things again. :banghead: Oh, well.

I was referring to making a Cadillac version of the Enclave or Acadia (on the Lambda platform). An MKS-X or similar (not sure of that name) maybe, but a "Navigator" as an XC90 based vehicle, I disagree with.

Does the Navigator even have a future besides new engines?

as long as it is selling and making a huge margin

As J-150 said, it'll be around as long as it sells and profits $$$$.

It will recieve the BOSS 6.2 soon (within the next year) and possibly a upgraded/refreshed interior with Expedition (which I assume will get an 09 F-150 inspired dash in the next few years).

Other than that, nothing really is known, at least by me.....but I'd expect it to closely follow Expedition's production/redesign schedule, as it's always done.

Will the Navi recieve the 4.4 Diesel?

My guess is it will when the expi gets it, though I'm not sure the type of people who drive those would want a diesel...

I believe as MERKUR said, it'll get it when or slightly after the Expy gets it.....and as to your comment about not sure if buyers would want it.....I think they might....it could be their "justification" to getting a large fuel in-efficient SUV. That way, owners could say..."Well, I got the more fuel efficient diesel version." Although I'm not sure the fuel efficient gains of a diesel, unless substantial would do much in my area, where diesel is generally about 5-10 cents more than premium....today after a price hike of 10 cents, my local station had regular for $3.29, premium for $3.67 (midgrade in between, I don't know exact numbers), and diesel for $3.75-ish. That said, my local station is one of the few in this area, so their prices are slightly (only a few cents at most, though) higher than other stations.

I believe as MERKUR said, it'll get it when or slightly after the Expy gets it.....and as to your comment about not sure if buyers would want it.....I think they might....it could be their "justification" to getting a large fuel in-efficient SUV. That way, owners could say..."Well, I got the more fuel efficient diesel version." Although I'm not sure the fuel efficient gains of a diesel, unless substantial would do much in my area, where diesel is generally about 5-10 cents more than premium....today after a price hike of 10 cents, my local station had regular for $3.29, premium for $3.67 (midgrade in between, I don't know exact numbers), and diesel for $3.75-ish. That said, my local station is one of the few in this area, so their prices are slightly (only a few cents at most, though) higher than other stations.

My only few concerns are will the 4.4 and 6.7 Diesels be using that Clean Diesel techonology and if so, will the MPG suck like it currently does in the superduty and hopefully, Ford will not have any major problems or glitches.

My only few concerns are will the 4.4 and 6.7 Diesels be using that Clean Diesel techonology and if so, will the MPG suck like it currently does in the superduty and hopefully, Ford will not have any major problems or glitches.

Unfortunately, it appears that emissions regulations are limiting the fuel economy gains of diesels by requiring the Clean Diesel Tech. Does anybody know if Audi's Q7 TDI numbers ~20mpgs, IIRC is for American tests and approval or for Europe?

here in the NE part of PA owners of diesel vehicles are getting royally kicked in the ass by the cost...its currently at $3.95/ gallon!!!!! while reg. is $3.20-$3.24 range....that is a significant difference if you ask me! ....i don't have time to do the math but comparing say the 5.4L in a F-250 to the 6.4L or i guess the 7.3 in one wouldn't the diesel owner be in the whole more then the gasser?? idk ...it has ALWAYS been wayyy more expensive here for diesel that i don't know why i see so many of them other then longer life and for towing. but i'm saying that HERE ...not everywhere ...

here in the NE part of PA owners of diesel vehicles are getting royally kicked in the ass by the cost...its currently at $3.95/ gallon!!!!! while reg. is $3.20-$3.24 range....that is a significant difference if you ask me! ....i don't have time to do the math but comparing say the 5.4L in a F-250 to the 6.4L or i guess the 7.3 in one wouldn't the diesel owner be in the whole more then the gasser?? idk ...it has ALWAYS been wayyy more expensive here for diesel that i don't know why i see so many of them other then longer life and for towing. but i'm saying that HERE ...not everywhere ...

Emissions regulations are the biggest factor in diesel engine price and efficiency, IMO. The current and coming regulations are requiring the addition of many fairly expensive and fuel economy robbing technologies. As you implied, I don't think diesels are viable in the American market yet, except for in large 3/4 and 1/2 ton (1/2 ton to an extent) trucks....and with the aforementioned technologies, the seemingly only advantages to having a diesel, at least at the moment, is for towing abilities, not so much fuel economy and certainly not price.