Cabbies Love Escape Hybrids

range

Excellent news that the Ecapes are holding up well. There isn't a better hard duty test than Taxi service.

I agree.

The article mentioned in NY switching the taxis to all hybrids would equal taking about 25,000 cars off the streets in emissions. I wonder how much emissions could be reduced if all taxis in the US were switched to hybrids and what the equivalent # of vehicles "taken off the road" that would come out to?

There are two big reasons: the hybrids are holding their own under the extreme conditions and they are saving the average driver around U.S. $5,000 a year in gas expenses. Drivers are generally responsible for buying gas, according to a New York Taxi & Limousine Commission/SmartTransportation.org study.

With a glowing endorsement from taxi drivers the hybrid takeover is assured.

I think this spells the end of the line for the panther as a taxi.

Meanwhile, a San Francisco Taxi Commission subcommittee is working on a plan to convert cabs to hybrid or natural gas power.

Shame Ford won't invest in a Hybrid version of the Panther platform....or even a CNG Panther....oh wait a minute, they did have a CNG Panther....wasn't it canned just about in time for the Escape Hybrid? :finger:

Guess it makes more sense to lose money on the costly and not-so-environmentally friendly Hybrids versus actually making money with CNG Crown Vics and actually improving emissions. :ohsnap:

Edited by Armada Master

Shame Ford won't invest in a Hybrid version of the Panther platform....or even a CNG Panther....oh wait a minute, they did have a CNG Panther....wasn't it canned just about in time for the Escape Hybrid? :finger:

Guess it makes more sense to lose money on the costly and not-so-environmentally friendly Hybrids versus actually making money with CNG Crown Vics and actually improving emissions. :ohsnap:

Because the PAnthers weight too much and the gains will never match the Escape's gains. Come to think of it, where would they put the battery pack if they were going to make a Panther hybrid? Or the huge gas tank for natural gas?

Edited by LincolnFan

New York already had it's taxis running on CNG but chose hybrids as a way to further reduce CO2 .

These taxi drivers love their Hybrids and they are the ones debunking urban myths.

All the crap about batteries not holding is been proven false as the months roll on.

Strange how one Ford replaces another, I guess we'll have to start

taking pot shots at people buying second hand hybrid Escapes.......

New York already had it's taxis running on CNG but chose hybrids as a way to further reduce CO2 .

These taxi drivers love their Hybrids and they are the ones debunking urban myths.

All the crap about batteries not holding is been proven false as the months roll on.

Strange how one Ford replaces another, I guess we'll have to start

taking pot shots at people buying second hand hybrid Escapes.......

Think of all the space freed up on New York roads with the Escape Hybirds as well. The CV's have a monsterously large and wasteful footprint.

The Edge would make a great New York cabby with the Vista Roof :)

Edited by BORG

Think of all the space freed up on New York roads with the Escape Hybirds as well. The CV's have a monsterously large and wasteful footprint.

The Edge would make a great New York cabby with the Vista Roof :)

While the Edge would likely make a good cab, I'd rather not see it be one, which will destroy residual values.

Also, do you really think cab companies are going to pay whatever it costs to have the Vista Roof?

While the Edge would likely make a good cab, I'd rather not see it be one, which will destroy residual values.

Also, do you really think cab companies are going to pay whatever it costs to have the Vista Roof?

In some places, like Pittsburgh, individual cabbies can choose any vehicle. We have a fair number of Cadillac DTS cabs here. I also see a lot of the last gen Taurus and Taurus wagons as well as Freestars and Chrysler minivans.

I would expect to see some Edges in the future as they have gotten good reviews for comfort and reliability.

Cabs don't have as much effect on residuals as rentals do since cabs are seldom resold. PA requires a brand on the title of any car used as a cab.

In some places, like Pittsburgh, individual cabbies can choose any vehicle. We have a fair number of Cadillac DTS cabs here. I also see a lot of the last gen Taurus and Taurus wagons as well as Freestars and Chrysler minivans.

I would expect to see some Edges in the future as they have gotten good reviews for comfort and reliability.

Cabs don't have as much effect on residuals as rentals do since cabs are seldom resold. PA requires a brand on the title of any car used as a cab.

Do they have to pay the extra cost over say a CV it would be to drive a DTS? I see some Freestars as well.....most cabs near me are CVs, with the occasional Freestar, older GM, and now Chargers (I've seen 2).

I didn't realize that, well if residuals weren't too badly affected, I wouldn't mind if they sold some Edges to cab companies.

Most of what Mark Morrow is seeing were picked up used.

AFAIK, NYC is one of a very few cities that requires cabs to be brand new, and also places a maximum age limit on cabs in service.

==========

Success of the eensy weensy Escape, with its unibody construction and horizontal engine placement with its fiddly transaxle should put to bed, by way of public demonstration, the insistence that BOF/RWD are 'inherently' more durable.

Rather, IMO, the durability of these Escapes should point out that -perhaps- it's not the engine/transmission layout and body construction so much as it is the standards to which the vehicles are built.

Reportedly, livery companies (which are not the same as taxi companies) were averse to switching to the DTS, as it was not as reliable as the Town Car.

Some used that as 'proof' that BOF/RWD was more durable than FWD/unibody. However, that excludes the different manufacturer (GM vs. Ford) and therefore different standards of durability testing.

Most of the high end cabs here are usually short term lease returns. They are low mile cars that are pretty much driven to death as cabs. Interestingly, the owner operators are afiliated with the cab company but can schedule their own runs as well. Many hand out business cards with cell phone numbers. We also have a Classy Cab Co that uses 30" stretched Montegos & 500s done in black. We don't see that many CVs as minivans and last gen Taurus' seem to be the cars of choice.

AFAIK, NYC is one of a very few cities that requires cabs to be brand new, and also places a maximum age limit on cabs in service.

==========

Success of the eensy weensy Escape, with its unibody construction and horizontal engine placement with its fiddly transaxle should put to bed, by way of public demonstration, the insistence that BOF/RWD are 'inherently' more durable.

Gotta call BS on this one.

Have you ever seen a cop car in a police chase go over curbs and hit dips at 80mph in a FWD unibody? No you haven't because they would break an axle or transaxle. Ask any cop why the Impala's never caught on.

Taxi drivers don't go off-roading or jumping curbs in NYC, so your point is ridiculous, I guess then you feel the F-150 doesn't need that heavy hydroformed frame either, Ford could just make a Ridgeline out of it.. :rolleyes:

BOF and unibody both have their places, why people keep bringing these inane points up is beyond me.

Do you think a unibody can tow as much as a Super Duty as well? Ok then, so why say something so ridiculous?

Rather, IMO, the durability of these Escapes should point out that -perhaps- it's not the engine/transmission layout and body construction so much as it is the standards to which the vehicles are built.

I can't remember being in a Taxi in any place other than Tijuana where the vehicle needed to be more durable than your asverage car, Taxi's drive on the same roads every other car does, and they don't get involved in high speed pursuits..

Reportedly, livery companies (which are not the same as taxi companies) were averse to switching to the DTS, as it was not as reliable as the Town Car.

Some used that as 'proof' that BOF/RWD was more durable than FWD/unibody. However, that excludes the different manufacturer (GM vs. Ford) and therefore different standards of durability testing.

I guess the Ridgeline is as capable as a F-150 or Super Duty... :finger::finger::finger::finger::finger::finger:

It's funny, for as much as people trash Honda and Toyota around here, you guys want Ford to be just like them, it makes no sense.

Taxi drivers don't go off-roading or jumping curbs in NYC, so your point is ridiculous

The Impala fails because it's not engineered to withstand those situations you describe. Or didn't you know that the Range Rover & Jeep are unibody.

And, BTW, I've ridden in a NYC taxicab.

60mph on the 97th St Transverse.

Don't tell me cabbies are easy on their cars. Although it must be allowed that taxi drivers buying hybrids are probably not as abusive.

Basically, it's not a question of FWD vs RWD, or BOF vs unibody. It's a question of engineering standards.

I didn't realize that, well if residuals weren't too badly affected, I wouldn't mind if they sold some Edges to cab companies.

I remembered today that Edges are already being sold to rental companies, so residuals are already slightly skewed.

I see.

• 2 months later...
With a glowing endorsement from taxi drivers the hybrid takeover is assured.

I think this spells the end of the line for the panther as a taxi.

I hope not but you folks or I never know...

But maybe we're all second guessing ourselves! I just wonder how the suspension would hold up in an area of unsalted roads, rut filled gravel washboard like surfaces and potholes!