Ford may build Verve in NA

pcsario

NOTHING can happen in my time left on this earth that will make Mexico the place to live..................

Jesus Christ, not all of Mexico is like Tijuana, and not all Mexicans are the typical border brothers that wear purple pants with a green shirt when they are out picking strawberries all day. Ive met many very well educated and very poised individuals out of Mexico City and other parts of Mexico. For the most part, its the poor border towns that give the whole country a bad rep. Go further in and they have malls, cities, people that do speak English and homes that consist of more than mud walls with no sewers. Update your perceptions people.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Because American cars should be made in America. The fact that they are not is a HUGE slap in the face.

and where should the blame be put if we deem it not possible to produce certain vehicles to a price point...oh, we should just ignore the segment and let the imports RULE THE WORLD!

and where should the blame be put if we deem it not possible to produce certain vehicles to a price point...

It can be done. The F-150 supposedly built very strong, and "better" than the others. Well, that means that it is probably more expensive to make. Yet, it is built here.

It all comes down to being laze...and greed.

It can be done. The F-150 supposedly built very strong, and "better" than the others. Well, that means that it is probably more expensive to make. Yet, it is built here.

The F-150 can be built here because profit margins on trucks are EXTREMELY high, despite their cost to produce. B-cars have slim or non-existent profit margins even being shipped here from other countries with cheaper labor. The only way a B-car would make a profit here is if it was a complete pile of cheap crap. That would certainly be good for American workers, huh? :finger:

Nope....only way it could be built and sold here would be at a VERY inflated cost passed onto the buyer...or should i say the LACK of buyers due to its $23k MSRP

how bout they just mak Mexico part of Cal?...LOL!

How about we just make California part of Mexico? Then Mexico will pay for all the illegal immigrants health-care, and California can try to pass their wacky laws to drag the Mexican economy down instead of ours.

How about we just make California part of Mexico? Then Mexico will pay for all the illegal immigrants health-care, and California can try to pass their wacky laws to drag the Mexican economy down instead of ours.

just saw that 14% of the vote here is Mexican....so those 14% are American citizens.....CRAZY! #'s for sure....makes one wonder the grand total

Did Alan and Mark share their cost sheets with you? Sure would like a copy. ;)

Alan Mulally and Ron Gettlefinger said that they talked about a US built Verve, but couldn't make it work.

CEO Alan Mulally told her that it would not be manufactured in Michigan. He told the governor that Ford had worked with the United Auto Workers to see if there was a way to build the vehicle in this country and still be able to sell it for a profit, but said the business case could not be made to Ford's satisfaction.

"We tried," said United Auto Workers President Ron Gettelfinger, who had invited Granholm on the tour of Ford's exhibit. "If we worked for nothing, maybe they would do it."

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/artic...348/1148/AUTO01

Ooo look, P71: a reference to back up an assertion. You should try it some time.

Jesus Christ, not all of Mexico is like Tijuana, and not all Mexicans are the typical border brothers that wear purple pants with a green shirt when they are out picking strawberries all day. Ive met many very well educated and very poised individuals out of Mexico City and other parts of Mexico. For the most part, its the poor border towns that give the whole country a bad rep. Go further in and they have malls, cities, people that do speak English and homes that consist of more than mud walls with no sewers. Update your perceptions people.

That's certainly true. There are very nice parts of TJ for that matter. I'm got nothing against Mexicans as people (that would absurd w/ me living in San Diego!), great culture, work ethic, etc. no prejudice here 'cept don't expect me to speak Spanish here!....can't say the same about TJ or the government. Then again I've heard the same thing about LA and the US government LOL.

Alan Mulally and Ron Gettlefinger said that they talked about a US built Verve, but couldn't make it work.

IIRC, the article I read stated that Gettelfinger made the case for building it in the U.S. showing that it could make money under our new contract, but Ford said it wasn't enough. Then Ron quipped that the American workers could build it for free, and it still wouldn't be enough to convince Ford.

It was in the Free Press or Detroit News.

Edited by Pioneer

IIRC, the article I read stated that Gettelfinger made the case for building it in the U.S. showing that it could make money under our new contract, but Ford said it wasn't enough. Then Ron quipped that the American workers could build it for free, and it still wouldn't be enough to convince Ford.

obviously his case wasn't good enough and the projected profits THAt way were insufficient dure to American overheads.......

IIRC, the article I read stated that Gettelfinger made the case for building it in the U.S. showing that it could make money, but Ford said it wasn't enough. Then Ron quipped that the American workers could build it for free, and it still wouldn't be enough to convince Ford.

It was THAT article, you toad, and that snippet was all that was said about the matter.

Theres a difference to "making something work" and "Ford's satisfaction".

yeah its called being competitive and being able to stay afloat rather than catering to the interests of outside parties just to make THEM happy....hell...I don't know WHY half of the crap i have in my house says made in China, S Korea, Taiwan including running shoes from nike...I truely wonder why that is????? Lets face it, all may scream BUY USA only to completely turn about face become hypocritical and brag about their "deal".....

I don't know WHY half of the crap i have in my house says made in China, S Korea, Taiwan including running shoes from nike...I truely wonder why that is?????

Because you didn't look for American alternatives before you purchased them. For example, your shoes. Most New Balance shoes are 100% made in the USA from USA materials and labor. A small minority are made outside the US, but with US materials. All shoes are in full disclosure of which ones they are.

Because you didn't look for American alternatives before you purchased them. For example, your shoes. Most New Balance shoes are 100% made in the USA from USA materials and labor. A small minority are made outside the US, but with US materials. All shoes are in full disclosure of which ones they are.

Where was the computer you are using made?

NB are for the most part "assembled" in the USA.

In all honesty the problem is that we dont manufacture enough in the US, thats why our economy is coming apart at the seems. There simply arent enough middle class jobs around to keep afloat anymore.

Edited by one2gamble