Is that IRS on that 2010 Mustang??

igor

You want it? GREAT, build it, but DON'T CALL IT A MUSTANG!!!

I lived in germany for 8 years, yes I know europeans like pissy little sewing machine engines that rev to the moon and run at 7000 all day long. Good for them. That is not a mustang though.

Basically, you want a euro car with euro styling/taste/temperment but stick an extremely popular name on it to use the names equity.

And for this comment;

"if sales keep slipping in the US they might end up killing it off all together as fuel price start rise to $150 by the end of the year as the Chinese and Indian start tapping into our oil supplies in their billions as they get mobile for the first time"

Just by making that comment, completely detracts any semblance of knowledge of the mustang or it's history/heritage that you might have been perceived to have had.

No ford won't discontinue the mustang because gas goes to $150.00 a barrel. :finger:

Hey come on you are hitting the wrong guy here JPD didnot mention $150 a barrel oil, you seem like you are are a fountain of knowledge for all things Mustang, just interested why have Mustang sales dropped 19.2% last year, and dropped 27.8% in January. Is it because Ford need to put a 10.0 litre V12 engine in it, anything smaller would look like a sowing machine. What do you attribute to causing these huge sales drops in Mustang's, and massive sales rises of sowing machines like the Mini that climbed 44.1% in the United States. Just Interested in your answer.

Edited by Ford Jellymoulds

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And this is why I try not to even look at a topic that is more than 2 pages. Now it's just down to bickering at a childish level. And yes even I got caught up in that.

You want a 1.0L 600hp 15speed mustang with irs and all the other bullshit, go for it.

As far as sales dropping off, get real, stop looking at shit like it's the stock market. I've said it before, you guys watch this shit daily and over analyse everything. The focus sold 3 cars less today than yesterday AHHHH!!! life is over, they're going in the toilet!!! AAAHHH!!! Wait, today they sold 5 more than yesterday, YAAAAAA!!!! all cars should be 4cyl econoboxes after this one day event!!!

Comparing a mini to a mustang? Did you know focus sales are higher than 750 dump trucks? HEY by your logic let's change all dumptrucks to 4 cyl.......

The mustang is what it is. When it was outran in 67 they went to a bigblock, then to fit an even bigger engine they changed again for 71. When gas crunch hit they copied the euro type car and made it 4cyl or 6 cyl, small, better handling, better on fuel (kind of what you guys want now) and while it did sell well, it was and is the laughing stock and ugly stepchild mustang.

Twin turbo engine and 6 spd is not the same as carb's,drum brakes etc so nice try. All I'm saying is you want to build a car that would be great for it's intended purpose, but it would not fit into the mustang mold/perception/mantra/whatever the hell you want to call it. A 74 mustang is still a mustang, but tell that to a mustang enthusiest.

You want to build a probe, go for it, but call it a probe not a mustang.

I'm done here.

For the life of me, I cannot understand the argument that one of the worlds largest automakers, with plenty of experiance and the ability to spread costs over multiple platforms, with unit numbers as high as the Mustang, cannot produce a quality, effective and cost effective IRS.

It is that kind of thinking that has put Ford where it is, and will keep it there in the future.

For the life of me, I cannot understand the argument that one of the worlds largest automakers, with plenty of experiance and the ability to spread costs over multiple platforms, with unit numbers as high as the Mustang, cannot produce a quality, effective and cost effective IRS.

It is that kind of thinking that has put Ford where it is, and will keep it there in the future.

once again...i don't think the current platform is condusive to a true top of the line IRS system....maybe, just maybe aside from the cost weight trade-off THAt may be the true reason.....

You want it? GREAT, build it, but DON'T CALL IT A MUSTANG!!!

I lived in germany for 8 years, yes I know europeans like pissy little sewing machine engines that rev to the moon and run at 7000 all day long. Good for them. That is not a mustang though.

Basically, you want a euro car with euro styling/taste/temperment but stick an extremely popular name on it to use the names equity.

And for this comment;

"if sales keep slipping in the US they might end up killing it off all together as fuel price start rise to $150 by the end of the year as the Chinese and Indian start tapping into our oil supplies in their billions as they get mobile for the first time"

Just by making that comment, completely detracts any semblance of knowledge of the mustang or it's history/heritage that you might have been perceived to have had.

No ford won't discontinue the mustang because gas goes to $150.00 a barrel. :finger:

Calm down!

I've taken the time to read your posts and obviously this is very near and dear to your heart.

As to other comments you attributed to me, I didn't make them so please moderate your tone.

You do build V6s over there and they are half of all the Mustang matket, right?

Fine, just give them the 3.5 V6 manual - same thing, probably cheaper too !

Euros will pay far more than Americans would for a "GT V6" loaded with options.

My suggestion was a car with V8 sound - no biggie anyway and if a Falcon IRS fits - sure give them that too!

Edited by jpd80

If the mustang is about choice, and cheap performance, why is there such a vocal minority that is dead set against there being a 4 banger in the mustang again? Its happened in the past (and in one instance, had decent street cred), why can't it happen again?

Ford will have a N/A 4 cylinder on the market very soon that can deliver 175 hp and 170 lbs of torque inexpensively. It weighs a good bit less than the D35 and a whole lot less than the Cologne 4.0L v6. If Ford so chose, they could use that particular 4 banger, backed by a decent 5 or 6 speed manual, and ship them across the pond as a reasonable volume offering to the Euro buyers that might be interested in such a thing. It would likely get a combined cycle mpg in the mid 20s, be fun to drive and handle reasonably well. Offer it with an optional high ratio rear end for those that want off the line acceleration. If that market test moves enough metal, why not go forward with a D35 equipped one as well? Does it have to have IRS? Not particularly. The current setup can be massaged to Euro tastes well enough. It would add extra volume to the line and likely improve profitability as well.

If ford does manage a 1.8L ecoboost that can get 235-245 hp and 200+ lbs of torque while returning highway mpg in the mid 30s and city mileage in the mid twenties, that would be perfect for a Euro export of the Mustang. The other possibility is to use some engine packages that are actually found in europe. Heck, the mustang would be absolutely perfect for some of the duratorque engines that are used over there. They deliver the torque that is neccessary for launching that beast of a car while still providing sufficient hp for decent highway cruising (for the few places that's doable in Europe).

• 1 month later...
Jalopnik posted new images of the 2010 Mustang .. and is that IRS I see ? Or am I just crazy?

Looks like there could be an IRS under there. It would be nice if they would move the Mustang forward to the 21st century and get IRS on the car. Purists wont like it but I'm sure the were all upset when Mustangs got fuel injection too.

What's the problem with a 1.8L 250hp Ecoboost for the Mustang? We're talking about a mid 6-second car here... not slow by ANYONE's standards.

I think it is more image, then specs.

Few guys would want to brag about having 1.8L under their hood, just like few guys would want to brag they have 1.8" in their pants. :blush:

IMHO, both the Camaro and the Challenger are going to be duds, if they even are actually produced (still time to pull the plug). Having new large HP V8's and hemi powered cars coming out as gas prices pass $6.00/gal just isn't going to work. What will keep the Mustang going, is what has kept it thru tough times before; the basic small-engine model being able to carry the quanities.

:stirpot:

Edited by Walt