Is that IRS on that 2010 Mustang??

igor

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So...you don't want the little pony to have IRS?

All depends on the dollars and if it IS a SUBSTANTIAL improvement,unlike some i do not veiw just because a car has IRS it instantly guarantees a better handling vehicle and one of the few things I like about the Stang is its simplicity...theoretically IRS is a step up, but the Mustang handles fine right now without the added mass and complexity.....

I can't really tell from the photos...I went through all the pics at Jalopnik, but nothing really affirmative. The other pics (previous spy shots) don't show IRS...so I would be surprised if it is the case.

Jalopnik posted new images of the 2010 Mustang .. and is that IRS I see ? Or am I just crazy?

http://jalopnik.com/photogallery/2010FordM...=thumb1280x1280

Igor

Edited by Catalepsy

i don't think it is very necessary....it would jack up the price.....but i think drag racers could live with an IRS....they did with the 03/04 Cobra

Eh, a lot of 03-04 Cobra owners have also swapped to solid axles. All we need to do is compare the number of IRS cars that have been converted to SRA to those with SRA that have been converted to IRS to see which idea is more popular with owners. IRS loses.

Eh, a lot of 03-04 Cobra owners have also swapped to solid axles. All we need to do is compare the number of IRS cars that have been converted to SRA to those with SRA that have been converted to IRS to see which idea is more popular with owners. IRS loses.

how much would a swap like that cost?

would like to know their reasoning......weight? no significant gains?...straight line more important, or durability?

You might be surprised how many yanked it out in favor of a live axle !

Personally, I think igor is dreaming or trying to drum up a story !

but wizzzzzzzzz, IRS is THE holy grail, not power to weight, or ultimate handling ( after all it still has to be set up, there are quite a few LOUSY IRS cars out there ) or strength, or cost ....or.....ALL BOW TO THE IRS GODS!

but wizzzzzzzzz, IRS is THE holy grail, not power to weight, or ultimate handling ( after all it still has to be set up, there are quite a few LOUSY IRS cars out there ) or strength, or cost ....or.....ALL BOW TO THE IRS GODS!

i know the GTO had wheel hop problems on the straights...

Igor, I cant tell for sure in that picture. My guess is that it is IRS. People will forever be split on this issue.

Drag racers hate it and corner carvers love it. My gripe with it is the potential cost and weight penalty. The next mustang for Gods sake does not need to be any heavier. My mustang has a straight axle and honestly the one time is bothers me is in a turn when I hit a bad bump in a turn. Then it feels like the whole rear end jumps out to the side which it does. Irs would be better in that situation no question.

The Camaro is supposed to get irs from everything I read. I can live with it either way but I dont want more weight!

I don't care about the drag racers. If they're already going to rip out the back seats and dashboard and Lord knows what else, they can do the swap themselves. The IRS could very well make the Mustang more appealing to the majority of non-enthusiasts who actually buy them. That's what's important. I've always found that to be an exceptionally stupid reason for keeping the SRA.

As for cost, well...I'm part of the camp that believes it would be money well spent. Low cost isn't the only reason (IMO not even the primary reason) why the Mustang has remained so popular. Especially not nowadays. People aren't going to compromise handling and comfort just to save a few bucks.

I don't care about the drag racers. If they're already going to rip out the back seats and dashboard and Lord knows what else, they can do the swap themselves. The IRS could very well make the Mustang more appealing to the majority of non-enthusiasts who actually buy them. That's what's important. I've always found that to be an exceptionally stupid reason for keeping the SRA.

As for cost, well...I'm part of the camp that believes it would be money well spent. Low cost isn't the only reason (IMO not even the primary reason) why the Mustang has remained so popular. Especially not nowadays. People aren't going to compromise handling and comfort just to save a few bucks.

X2!!

Not so sure why that is so hard to understand.

X2!!

Not so sure why that is so hard to understand.

its not, but I beleive the reason it was not utilized on the current floorplan was due to exceedingly high costs and weight penalties...one things for sure they tried to keep the Mustang at a sub 30k price point...thus compromises were made...thank goodness....its sales #'s reflect accesabilty and dare i say affordability......

I agree. The benefit in NVH for the mainstream might be worth whatever it costs. An extra $500? $1,000? On a $25K vehicle?

I would like to see Ford offer a version of the active suspension shocks that premiered on the Mondeo, as well. They've had rave reviews, but if you don't follow EU motoring news closely, Ford's active suspension is unknown in NA. And if Mustang stays SRA, it could be an important option for improving the ride and handling.

its not, but I beleive the reason it was not utilized on the current floorplan was due to exceedingly high costs and weight penalties...one things for sure they tried to keep the Mustang at a sub 30k price point...thus compromises were made...thank goodness....its sales #'s reflect accesabilty and dare i say affordability......

Man you cheerleaders are all over the map. The sky is the limit when it comes to the F-150. Computers, printers, fancy tow hooks, stair cases...it's all good.

BUT, when it comes to something that would make the Mustang better for the average buyer...you say screw that, it is too heavy and it costs too much, boo hoo.

Unless, of course, people that drive a Mustang only drive in a straight line and on a perfectly smooth surface.

Edited by P71_CrownVic