FG Falcon: FoMoCo boss wants one

jpd80

I just don't see this platform as becoming the "next Taurus". Why not? Because I think Ford will still want something in the larger FWD game for cars. Not CUV's, I said cars. So that right there means Taurus will stay as it is because it makes no sense to use the Taurus name on a RWD car. It's always been front.

Makes more sense to use the Interceptor name and look on the Aussie Platform. Since that platform is already in Police duty down under, it only makes sense to setup that platform for police duty here. But leave the option as RW/AWD. I think if it's a durable drive train, I would bet some of us northern area police departments might even get a couple AWD units for police duty. With a 3.5 TT, or even a 3.7 DI, there would be more than enough HP, but good economy for police duty.

While Ford may have originally intended the 500 as a CV replacement, I think based on sales, you can see it's not working out that way. So move on, new ideas coming, change of plans...

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just don't see this platform as becoming the "next Taurus". Why not? Because I think Ford will still want something in the larger FWD game for cars. Not CUV's, I said cars. So that right there means Taurus will stay as it is because it makes no sense to use the Taurus name on a RWD car. It's always been front.

Makes more sense to use the Interceptor name and look on the Aussie Platform. Since that platform is already in Police duty down under, it only makes sense to setup that platform for police duty here. But leave the option as RW/AWD. I think if it's a durable drive train, I would bet some of us northern area police departments might even get a couple AWD units for police duty. With a 3.5 TT, or even a 3.7 DI, there would be more than enough HP, but good economy for police duty.

While Ford may have originally intended the 500 as a CV replacement, I think based on sales, you can see it's not working out that way. So move on, new ideas coming, change of plans...

I'd rather just see the Falcon name return for this vehicle if it somehow makes it to the US. Falcon is one of Ford's stronger and more well-liked brands from its past and it still seems like a pretty modern and "cool" nameplate in some respects. Perhaps they could throw the Interceptor name on a high-performance variant. Something about a slow V6 base model Interceptor doesn't sound quite right. "Falcon Interceptor" has a nice ring to it....

There was some rumors going around that everything in the current Ford lineup might bump up in size, pretty much the Fiesta would be the Focus, the Focus would become the Fusion, the Fusion would be the Taurus and the Taurus would replace the CV...guess we'll see if that happens or not

What Mulally saw:

2009_ford_falcon_g_6.jpg

I have gotta say l prefer the Falcon to the Mondeo JPD, what countries will you be exporting it to, will we see the RHD Falcon in the UK? It would sell very well over here. I like the interior JPD but the outside looks to Mondeoish for my liking, and won't it be completing against the Mondeo in Auss even though it's a little bit bigger? The Falcon would be a much more comfortable cruise on the highways than a Mondeo thats for sure.

002fgfalcong.jpg

Edited by Ford Jellymoulds

There was some rumors going around that everything in the current Ford lineup might bump up in size, pretty much the Fiesta would be the Focus, the Focus would become the Fusion, the Fusion would be the Taurus and the Taurus would replace the CV...guess we'll see if that happens or not

With the new CAFE regs, that scenario would seem highly unlikely. In fact, it would be downright stupid.

With the new CAFE regs, that scenario would seem highly unlikely. In fact, it would be downright stupid.

You missed the point, the names would move up but the car platform would stay the same, the Fusion would be roughy the size of the current Taurus for example...the actual platforms slots wouldn't change, just the name they carry..

You missed the point, the names would move up but the car platform would stay the same, the Fusion would be roughy the size of the current Taurus for example...the actual platforms slots wouldn't change, just the name they carry..

Why would they shuffle the names around? That makes zero sense also. People come to associate a car's name with the type of vehicle it is. A Focus suddenly becoming a midsize sedan and a Fusion becoming a fullsize would just confuse people.

Why would they shuffle the names around? That makes zero sense also. People come to associate a car's name with the type of vehicle it is. A Focus suddenly becoming a midsize sedan and a Fusion becoming a fullsize would just confuse people.

I dunno, but I saw BlueII mention something like this might be in the works...I know the Mondeo is a bit larger then the Fusion, making it closer to the Taurus then the Fusion in size...

I'd rather just see the Falcon name return for this vehicle if it somehow makes it to the US. Falcon is one of Ford's stronger and more well-liked brands from its past and it still seems like a pretty modern and "cool" nameplate in some respects. Perhaps they could throw the Interceptor name on a high-performance variant. Something about a slow V6 base model Interceptor doesn't sound quite right. "Falcon Interceptor" has a nice ring to it....

Meh....Falcon doesn't even register on my radar of recognizeable NA nameplates, and I was born in the 70's...

Edited by Armada Master