FG Falcon: FoMoCo boss wants one

jpd80

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ford Australia product development vice-president Trevor Worthington told GoAuto about what happened when the ex-Boeing boss called in to check on some FG prototypes at the You Yangs test centre last year, including the new G6E Turbo.

“He went and sat in it and I sat next to him. He is a very considered guy and he sat there for 10 seconds and he said:

“There is nothing like this in our company.”

Mr Worthington agreed, before Mr Mulally said: “I want one”.

That's the most glowing endorsement of a Ford product you'll ever see:

"There is nothing like this in our company ..........I want one"

I agree. When the #1 guy "gets it", anything is possible.

hey...I'd take the drivetrain and chassis and up the style a little.....not sure the conservative albeit classy and understated Aussie styling would equate to a sales phenom/success here...American styling is a tad more "in your face"....I do not doubt the chassis dynamics in the slightest though

hey...I'd take the drivetrain and chassis and up the style a little.....not sure the conservative albeit classy and understated Aussie styling would equate to a sales phenom/success here...American styling is a tad more "in your face"....I do not doubt the chassis dynamics in the slightest though

Why risk letting Ford NA ruin another great product?

Why risk letting Ford NA ruin another great product?

:stirpot: what was that comment you made before about MR starting shite????...LOL Aussie styling hasn't set the world on fire here...witness the GTO...GREAT car...too conservative.....little too much of the "look at me syndrome here".....unless of course youre undercover....LOL! :stirpot:

Edited by Deanh

:stirpot: what was that comment you made before about MR starting shite????...LOL Aussie styling hasn't set the world on fire here...witness the GTO...GREAT car...too conservative.....little too much of the "look at me syndrome here".....unless of course youre undercover....LOL! :stirpot:

I'm not starting anything...just stating facts. If that gets your diaper in a bunch...deal with it.

I'm not starting anything...just stating facts. If that gets your diaper in a bunch...deal with it.

not much rattles my cage P....agree with the fact they have been stylistically complacent but good stuff is coming for sure..now add a great chassis and voila...even someone like you may be happy....long shot but I remain postive....

I don't see it being made as a Taurus replacement. If we do get one of these, it'll be a CV/GM replacement. Setup as RW/AWD. It might be similar in exterior/interior dimensions, but be designed and marketed for a different crowd. And not the geriatric crowed either.

I think the days of two or three cars ruling the roost are long over. Now multiple cars for multiple niches. Maybe same platforms possible. Just not the same car.

I'd say it's more likely to have the OZ platform be turned into a RWD platform for Mustang, Lincoln performance, and CV replacement. And I mean 3 distinct vehicles. Not badged. CV would be a stretched version.

The Taurus/Five Hundread/D3 IS the Panther replacement, always has been from Day One regardless of what Ford has said or more importantly NOT said with their business decisions.

Multiple cars for multiple niches, nothing like having two "large" cars, a FWD Taurus and a RWD Aussie import for variety, when they are both nearly the same size.

I'd be looking for the next Taurus D3 styling to mimic this Aussie Falcon styling so they can sell both platforms here in the US under the Taurus name. The NA produced jumbo sized FWD econoturd and a limited production imported RWD Taurus SHO, etc. Hopefully :redcard: fans, I am wrong.

retard.gifretard.gifretard.gif

Yeah...thats smart...I've got a billion dollars...and I am going to buy a Crown Vic...did you miss the part where I said that he "skips over the appliances he sells here"

Your a moron that should be put down...for the common good of the world.

What I find particularly amusing is that somebody here actually thinks Mulally drives himself ANYWHERE. My money's on him riding in the back of a Town Car daily. :hysterical:

Edited by Armada Master

retard.gifretard.gifretard.gif

Yeah...thats smart...I've got a billion dollars...and I am going to buy a Crown Vic...did you miss the part where I said that he "skips over the appliances he sells here"

Your a moron that should be put down...for the common good of the world.

So you are admitting it? The HPP and the Marauder. Nothing but appliances?

Oh and well, why don't you help me with the putting down part? I can't seem to figure out how, when you are left on the loose.

Uhh...yeah...

But the difference is that the Panthers are like front load washing machines...just better than top loaders...like the rest of the Ford NA lineup.

Ok, now that we got over that. Why the hell do you have to moan and bitch about Ford not updating the panthers almost daily? Any explanation would be a lot of help, much apperciation.

But the difference is that the Panthers are like front load washing machines...just better than top loaders...like the rest of the Ford NA lineup.

Perhaps I can put it another way so those playing from home can comprehend in the words of the great Rodney Carrington:

How many green M&Ms can you eat before you finally say F&*K I WANNA RED ONE!

Green M&Ms being FWD unibody econoturds, and RED being Panthers, the last B-O-F RWD sedan game in town.

If you really think about it you could attack Mulally about bringing over just car over for him as a waste of both money and engineering effort that would be much better put to use in updating the Ford lineup in North America or getting the GRWD platform done faster :stirpot:

Well, most of this is PR. In Australia, the auto industry is still very important; when Ford or Holden has a new locally-produced product, it is front page news. And when the Chairman of Ford (or the Managing Director of FoA) says something, it gets reported. So, Mullaly did the right thing by complementing FoA for a nice effort and there is no better complement than to say "I want one."

Ford's cars are routinely shipped to other affiliates when they are relevant to potential future product. So there will be more than a few Falcons in NA for Product Development, Public Relations, and some executive use. NA engineers are already very familiar with the rear suspension, but they will be wanting to take a look at the front and running the Falcon on NA test facilities (even though Ford's worldwide test facilities are "calibrated" to be able to produce consistent results, there's nothing like the real thing). If there is a merging of Mustang and Falcon or a new RWD platform, planning and engineering will need to be carefully considering the hardware with the view to potentially saving bits that work.

So it's really not such a big deal.

Well, most of this is PR. In Australia, the auto industry is still very important; when Ford or Holden has a new locally-produced product, it is front page news. And when the Chairman of Ford (or the Managing Director of FoA) says something, it gets reported. So, Mullaly did the right thing by complementing FoA for a nice effort and there is no better complement than to say "I want one."

“There is nothing like this in our company.”

“So when he sat in that (FG Falcon) car and then drove it,

he said it was as good as the Lexus he had,” Mr Worthington said.

Mr Mulally was also impressed by the performance of the 270kW boosted Falcon.

This car had a level of performance that he had never seen before,” Mr Worthington said.

After a rapid test drive, Mr Mulally added “It must be very easy to get tickets in this car.”

Edited by jpd80