New Infiniti FX50 revealed

rmc523

http://www.leftlanenews.com/infiniti-fx-50.html

Infiniti revealed it's new FX50 today in Geneva. It doesn't look that bad, but I'm not sold on it either. I think I like the current version better to be honest. It seems like they took some of the EX's goofy looks and tacked them on...and frankly it looks tacky. I guess that's what happens when you have such a great looking design to start with. I think the current one has aged extremely well, they still look great, IMO.

I don't like the taillights or new hatch design. I'm not sure about the grille or headlights either. And that fender vent......goodness....it's hideous. On some vehicles it can look ok, but it looks completely out of place here.

In some of the pictures as well, I'm concerned about the panel gap on the back of the rear door and over the rear wheel.....it doesn't line up very well on the passenger side

http://www.leftlanenews.com/wp-content/plu...idg=1&idi=8

As well as on the driver's side, just the wheel arch gap bothers me.....look closely and you'll see it's higher than the door and rear bumper panel.

http://www.leftlanenews.com/wp-content/plu...dg=1&idi=10

Seems to have lost a bit of the fluidity in its shape from the last generation. Don't like the nose either with its bubbly fender shapes.

And what's the deal with all the taillights and headlights lately looking like cancerous growths that stick out 3 inches past the sheet metal? Don't lights break easily enough already? I'm glad Ford has thus far mostly avoided that trend.

Its not my personal taste but hey, i guess some will like it. Anyone getting a Jaguar feel from the grille and the shape of the headlights?

I also nominate this vehicle for worlds smallest quarter panels. That might be making the gaps look worse than they are.

And what's the deal with all the taillights and headlights lately looking like cancerous growths that stick out 3 inches past the sheet metal? Don't lights break easily enough already? I'm glad Ford has thus far mostly avoided that trend.

More for the insurance companies to pay. The Honda Accord 4 door with its hooteriffic headlights are the worst offender that ive seen. Cant wait till the slow speed bumper tap tests come around to break a few lights at $300 a piece :D

Its not my personal taste but hey, i guess some will like it. Anyone getting a Jaguar feel from the grille and the shape of the headlights?

I also nominate this vehicle for worlds smallest quarter panels. That might be making the gaps look worse than they are.

That's possible, and of course it could just be picture quality or many other reasons, but it appears that the panel gap in that one spot isn't too good. A freind of mine's dad has an FX35 and it's not that bad on the current model.

Not liking it at all.......

The nose and headlights are change for the sake of change, as is the rear. Some of the Nissan/Infiniti redesigns of late have been a bit 'lite', and in the case of the Murano and FX they have been a bit ugly. Love the interior and engine lineup.

I agree.....with all of your statements. The Murano and FX have been uglified (less so on the FX) compared to their previous generations on the outside, but have made good improvements on the interior front.

I agree.....with all of your statements. The Murano and FX have been uglified (less so on the FX) compared to their previous generations on the outside, but have made good improvements on the interior front.

I like the FX from the side and back...its just that Grill/front.

How do you feel about the fender vent? A friend of mine likes it, but I don't...I think the vent would've looked better over the body crease above the wheel arch, like where the Taurus' is, or and BMW 6 or M3 has it's vents.

How do you feel about the fender vent? A friend of mine likes it, but I don't...I think the vent would've looked better over the body crease above the wheel arch, like where the Taurus' is, or and BMW 6 or M3 has it's vents.

The fender vent could have been body color, or it could have been matte back with chrome accents....

Have to disagree with both of you, I like the vent.

Who asked you?

RMC, so there :P

After looking at pictures of the current and new models side-by-side, it appears they lengthened the FX a bit as well. I still think I like the old one better on the outside, but I'll reserve judgment until I see it in person. This vehicle isn't blatantly ugly like Murano is, where it doesn't matter if you're looking at a picture or seeing it in person.

And yes, Michael, I did ask him.

The front end is what continues to bug me.

I'm just glad that Infiniti has up'd it from a powertrain perspective. The 5 speed auto is a nice unit, but I can't help but wonder how well the VQ35HR and VQ37 (I think that's the one that Infiniti uses for the most part, there are so many variations of that engine these days) would perform when connected to a 7 speed.

I'm just glad that Infiniti has up'd it from a powertrain perspective. The 5 speed auto is a nice unit, but I can't help but wonder how well the VQ35HR and VQ37 (I think that's the one that Infiniti uses for the most part, there are so many variations of that engine these days) would perform when connected to a 7 speed.

you will get to find out soon when the FX37 comes out. They are just touting the FX50 because it is the more expensive box but the FX37 will be 300hp VQ37.

Not that Ford has anything it can/will compete with.

If it gets good gas mileage I'll probably put a FX37 in my garage.

I read there is an annoying lane departure system that senses drifting and beeps annoyingly, it is defeatable but re-ups anytime the car is turned off, AND it utilizes brakes to bring the car back into what it thinks is the correct line.....guess you can't overtake....LOL! foot downn..beep beep beep....back in line bucko!

Isn't the FX50's engine connected to a 7 speed tranny, or is that why you suggested it?

you will get to find out soon when the FX37 comes out. They are just touting the FX50 because it is the more expensive box but the FX37 will be 300hp VQ37.

Not that Ford has anything it can/will compete with.

If it gets good gas mileage I'll probably put a FX37 in my garage.

They're getting 300 out of the VQ37 for the FX? I thought the G37 has 330-ish hp, while the G35 sedan gets 300 with it's VQ35?