Toyota truck frames

F250

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Link doesn't work....whats up with Toyota frames??

Try it now.

Also follow to Toyota's site at the bottom of the post.

Toyota is offering another of those "warranty extension" (not a recall) to owners of Tacomas that have frame failures due to corrosion.

Since that type of damage cannot be easily repaired and the cost of replacing an entire rusted out frame would excede the value of the vehicle Toyota would buy back the entire truck. Over 800,000 trucks are involved.

Trucks with this type of structural damage are failing safety inspections in states that require them which, I imagine, gets the NHTSA's attention.

While it is nice to see Toyota step up and offer to buy the vehicle back (wondering if any limitations exist, i.e. original owner, no mods to vehicle, plow trucks not covered, etc) man is that gonna cost them big...not just in re-purchasing the 'tacos....but in damage to that "stellar" reputation

Edited by twintornados

While it is nice to see Toyota step up and offer to buy the vehicle back (wondering if any limitations exist, i.e. original owner, no mods to vehicle, plow trucks not covered, etc) man is that gonna cost them big...not just in re-purchasing the 'tacos....but in damage to that "stellar" reputation

Toyota is not "stepping up and offering" anything.

This problem has been going on for years and owners up until now have been denied. Taco owners have been complaining about this for a long time. Do the research.

Like I said when people are told their 5-year old Toyota failed mandatory state safety inspection because the frame rotted away and the fix is more than the vehicle is worth the NHTSA gets contacted. Toyota saw the writing on the wall. This is not a recall but 800,000 owners will be sent letters to bring their Tacos in for inspection and buy back if necessary.

This is just the beginning. Toyota sold over 800,000 Tacos from 1995-2000 and I'm sure other years/models have the same weakness. The cab and box of these trucks are stronger than the their frames!

Try it now.

Also follow to Toyota's site at the bottom of the post.

Toyota is offering another of those "warranty extension" (not a recall) to owners of Tacomas that have frame failures due to corrosion.

Since that type of damage cannot be easily repaired and the cost of replacing an entire rusted out frame would excede the value of the vehicle Toyota would buy back the entire truck. Over 800,000 trucks are involved.

Trucks with this type of structural damage are failing safety inspections in states that require them which, I imagine, gets the NHTSA's attention.

Man...Ford and Toyota are neck and neck for recalls this year...both approaching ONE MILLION.

Do you guys really think Toyota is going to buy back some guys 97 Tacoma with 200k miles? Keep dreaming. They will probably offer a credit on the purchase of a new one. You can't attribute all of it to a poorly made frame. What about people who off-road? or tow a boat trailer and dip the ass-end into the water? Live in the snow belt where they use a shitload of salt on the roads? Theres a lot of variables here. I live in New England and I really havent seen many with totally rotted out frames-yeah they have rust but its normal surface rust. I know now someones going to show that blue Tacoma on the lift!!!!!!! :hysterical:

You can't attribute all of it to a poorly made frame. What about people who off-road? or tow a boat trailer and dip the ass-end into the water? Live in the snow belt where they use a shitload of salt on the roads? Theres a lot of variables here.

Isn't that the reason to own a truck? There is nothing on the warranty that says "you can't tow a boat, live in salty area's, etc.." The warranty covers all these aspects with no ( * ), at least on my FORD'S!.

Do you guys really think Toyota is going to buy back some guys 97 Tacoma with 200k miles? Keep dreaming.

That is exactly what they have to do. To quote Toyota Motor Co:

If frame corrosion damage is confirmed by an inspection at a Toyota dealership, at Toyota's option, we will either repair the vehicle or repurchase it. No matter the vehicle’s actual condition, it will be valued as a vehicle in excellent condition.

Toyota has to send well over 800,000 Tacoma owners notices to bring their trucks back to the dealer...but it's not going to be called a recall because of a deal with the NHTSA I'n sure.

Here’s how this will work: Starting in the middle of March and continuing over a period of time, owners of 1995-2000 Tacomas will be sent letters informing them about this issue. If you find rust perforation on your vehicle, have your truck inspected by a Toyota dealer.

By launching this program they are finally admitting the frames of their most popular trucks have inferior corrosion protection which causes structural failure and that is definately a safety issue.

People that already scraped their Toyotas because of rotten frames are especially screwed (like the guy that owned that blue Tacoma) because they could have recieved top dollar for them had they held out unil this program began. Sounds like some lawyers are going to have fun.

Edited by F250

1. Do you guys really think Toyota is going to buy back some guys 97 Tacoma with 200k miles? Keep dreaming.

2. They will probably offer a credit on the purchase of a new one.

3. You can't attribute all of it to a poorly made frame.

4. What about people who off-road?

5. or tow a boat trailer and dip the ass-end into the water?

6. Live in the snow belt where they use a shitload of salt on the roads? Theres a lot of variables here.

7. I live in New England and I really havent seen many with totally rotted out frames-yeah they have rust but its normal surface rust. I know now someones going to show that blue Tacoma on the lift!!!!!!! :hysterical:

1. Yes, at blue book for a vehicle in excellent condition. Kudo's to Toyota here!

2. No, see above

3. Yes you can. Could be poor, (low nickle alloy) steel. Or poor design, (water/mud traps). Or both.

4. Doesn't matter unless the frame is damaged due to mechanical impact and no rust issue is present.

5. This is just ridiculous.

6. This is the major factor, but seems to be much more of a problem for this one vehicle.

7. I live in upstate NY, salt capitol of the world. I too haven't seen this as an issue, but Toyota HAS.

Still, I give Toyota high marks here. Ford had an issue with rust on CV frames a few years back, and they too handeled it well.

1. Yes, at blue book for a vehicle in excellent condition. Kudo's to Toyota here!

where did they say blue book?

they will offer trade-in cost according to their used car manager, thereby forcing you into a new Toyota.

Pretty smart actually from a marketing standpoint.

Good, then you know where you should go apply for a job.

So, you would rather die in a fire than have a frame rust in half? :extinguish:

How does that decision have anything to do with where I work? :headscratch:

There is no requirement that all hourly Ford employees be blind cheerleaders, and I will not be one. Ford has problems just like any other company, and I refuse to ignore them. To do so would be irresponsible. You cannot correct a problem if you ignore it.

So, you would rather die in a fire than have a frame rust in half? :extinguish:

How does that decision have anything to do with where I work? :headscratch:

There is no requirement that all hourly Ford employees be blind cheerleaders, and I will not be one. Ford has problems just like any other company, and I refuse to ignore them. To do so would be irresponsible. You cannot correct a problem if you ignore it.

And since they are fixing the problem...both companies. I see no reason to use it as an opportunity to take a swipe at Ford. Let me ask you this. What if your frame broke in half while your family was riding in it?

And since they are fixing the problem...both companies.

Ford is fixing them because they are being sued, and the government told them to do it. Toyota is extending the warranties because they want to keep their customers happy.

As for the final part of your post, I would rather have the frame break on me while driving. As the survivor of a house fire, there is nothing more terrifying than waking up in the middle of the night to your house on fire. Scrambling around to wake your kids up so you don't burn to death, then watching everything you worked for go up in flames is no comparison for waiting by the side of the road for a tow truck. Not to mention the kids having nightmares for three years afterwards. No comparison whatsoever.

And since they are fixing the problem...both companies. I see no reason to use it as an opportunity to take a swipe at Ford. Let me ask you this. What if your frame broke in half while your family was riding in it?

In a CV it is even questionable if you would notice it rightaway if was any where but ahead of the front firewall.

How Do I know?

Been there done that.

Matthew

Seeing as Toyota is "addressing" this little problem, that is good....but I suspect that it will only be something that will generate future Toyota sales....what if "Joe Toyota" decides he has had enough of Toyota and decides he wants to trade his truck in for "XYZ" brand vehicle? Will Toyota still offer him $$$?

And since they are fixing the problem...both companies. I see no reason to use it as an opportunity to take a swipe at Ford.

This WHOLE thread is an opportunity to take a swipe at Toyota...is that ok?

Ford is fixing them because they are being sued, and the government told them to do it. Toyota is extending the warranties because they want to keep their customers happy.

As for the final part of your post, I would rather have the frame break on me while driving. As the survivor of a house fire, there is nothing more terrifying than waking up in the middle of the night to your house on fire. Scrambling around to wake your kids up so you don't burn to death, then watching everything you worked for go up in flames is no comparison for waiting by the side of the road for a tow truck. Not to mention the kids having nightmares for three years afterwards. No comparison whatsoever.

Having been woken up in the middle of the night to fight a house fire...I, can't even imagine how terrifying it would be. You are extremely lucky that you and your family got out safe and sound. Comparing some frame rust to a house fire is really retarded.

And I can't even fathom losing my house because some retarded automaker decided to cheap out on some little part.

And I can't even fathom losing my house because some retarded automaker decided to cheap out on some little part.

As I recall, the cruise control was built (incorrectly) by an outside supplier. I would like to think that Toyota builds and coats their own frames.