Keep Mercury Alive

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My first car an 83' cougar!

83cougarxr7.jpg

I loved the Cougar, especialy the XR7, classy while fast as hell!

The Cougar still has a place in Mercuries lineup and if ford wants to upgrade Mercury, the first thing they need to do is give Mercury its OWN car. Which they are doing to lincoln, which i am glad for. The MKT and MKS will sell well as they both look sharp, but Ford needs to be carefull on what the prices are because with the rising price of oil, gas and Diesel.

Nice Merc Cougar

Edited by FordFanForEver

The FWD Cougar was a disaster because it wasn't a Cougar. The Cougar has always sold best as a stylish personal coupe. Mercury needs to be established as an American style car.

Dropping Mercury will help Ford as much as dropping Plymouth and Olds did their parents.

Everyone says if only American cars looked more European or Japanese they would sell better. Get rid of all traditional styling American cues and the cars will sell better. Make the ride harsher and the car will sell better. Build cars that your loyal buyers WON"T like because they (the loyal buyer) are bad for your image. Drop certain makes and your market share will increase. Well, for the last 20 years the dying three have done all that and they just continue to lose market share and sales volume. Is someone missing something here. Not everyone wants a firm ride, bland styling and ghetto style conestoga wagon wheels (which will be the only type wheels offered on the MKS - I was at my dealer for service Monday and saw a catalogue).

As for brand identity - every Lincoln now has it's own style grill. I personally prefered the traditional grill and hood ornanment style that ended with the 1997 TC, but come on guys, at least come up with a consistent face. A car's face is it's family identity, and Lincoln's was thrown overboard to be replaced with a mismosh of styles. Real smart. Oh, and by the way, while the current TC may not have the best styling, it is the best car to wear the Lincoln star in terms of relaibility, build quality and dollar value. An unbeatable machine.

I have never had a bad American car, and my last three Mercurys have been outstanding. There can be no argument that the quality of American cars is as good as anyone elses. It is going to take colors, fabrics, and details to help sway buyers. A little jewlery never hurts - Mercury's need more applied ornamentation then Fords for a more eye catching look. It would be an alternative to the Ford "world car no frills" look.

Edited by LM4EVR

The FWD Cougar was a disaster because it wasn't a Cougar. The Cougar has always sold best as a stylish personal coupe. Mercury needs to be established as an American style car.

Dropping Mercury will help Ford as much as dropping Plymouth and Olds did their parents.

Everyone says if only American cars looked more European or Japanese they would sell better. Get rid of all traditional styling American cues and the cars will sell better. Make the ride harsher and the car will sell better. Build cars that your loyal buyers WON"T like because they (the loyal buyer) are bad for your image. Drop certain makes and your market share will increase. Well, for the last 20 years the dying three have done all that and they just continue to lose market share and sales volume. Is someone missing something here. Not everyone wants a firm ride, bland styling and ghetto style conestoga wagon wheels (which will be the only type wheels offered on the MKS - I was at my dealer for service Monday and saw a catalogue).

As for brand identity - every Lincoln now has it's own style grill. I personally prefered the traditional grill and hood ornanment style that ended with the 1997 TC, but come on guys, at least come up with a consistent face. A car's face is it's family identity, and Lincoln's was thrown overboard to be replaced with a mismosh of styles. Real smart. Oh, and by the way, while the current TC may not have the best styling, it is the best car to wear the Lincoln star in terms of relaibility, build quality and dollar value. An unbeatable machine.

I have never had a bad American car, and my last three Mercurys have been outstanding. There can be no argument that the quality of American cars is as good as anyone elses. It is going to take colors, fabrics, and details to help sway buyers. A little jewlery never hurts - Mercury's need more applied ornamentation then Fords for a more eye catching look. It would be an alternative to the Ford "world car no frills" look.

well I will disagree with you calling the last cougar a disaster, if it wasnt for the FWD Cougars, alot of younger people would have never gone to a Mercury dealership, I personally own 3 of the FWD ones, I think they were the best cars I ever owned and they have a huge following now that they are gone. have you checked out NECO.COM? IF the Cougars from 1997 would have continued on in 1999 I would have never driven those huge cougars, lets face it those lost all thier sports appeal like they originally had from the 60's. A new cougar needs to conitinue along the lines of a luxury sports car.

well I will disagree with you calling the last cougar a disaster, if it wasnt for the FWD Cougars, alot of younger people would have never gone to a Mercury dealership, I personally own 3 of the FWD ones, I think they were the best cars I ever owned and they have a huge following now that they are gone. have you checked out NECO.COM? IF the Cougars from 1997 would have continued on in 1999 I would have never driven those huge cougars, lets face it those lost all thier sports appeal like they originally had from the 60's. A new cougar needs to conitinue along the lines of a luxury sports car.

The FWD Cougar wasn't bad. Certainly not bad looking....I saw one the other day, the design is holding up well. Where it failed was 1) basing it off a soon to be discontinued line (Contour) and 2) not making progress, upgrades. 3) It was a bit heavy and underpowered compared to some of it's competitiors.

I like it more now than then.

Edited by timmm55

The FWD Cougar wasn't bad. Certainly not bad looking....I saw one the other day, the design is holding up well. Where it failed was 1) basing it off a soon to be discontinued line (Contour) and 2) not making progress, upgrades.

couldnt agree with you more, that cougar still holds up today and probably well into the future. I remember back in 01 they were even talking about brining in the style of doors found in the rx8.

The fact remains the FWD Cougar was a sales bomb. It may have been a good car, and even a stylish car, but it was not a Mercury or a Cougar - it was a Ford Probe. It should have been sold as a Probe. I bought two new Cougars (89 and 97). I bought the 97 when I heard there would be no new RWD Cougars and that the upcoming FWD Cougar was designed specifically to not appeal to the tradional Mercury customer (me!). There are some people who prefer a larger, plusher, softer-riding car. And that is the market where the Cougar was most successful. And that is just fact.

If anything a "personal luxury" notchback version of the Mustang (a new Capri) would be nice.

Mercury needs to go back to it's roots - an upmarket Ford that is just a little plusher, quieter and fancier.

With some styling differences, of course. Mercury, as a US only make, should be the tradtionalist alternative to the Ford. The sporty crowd can go with Fords. There are plenty of people (though perhaps not the majority) who would welcome a "comfort-cruiser". Give me higher profile, smaller wheeled, tires that have more give (and are less likely to go flat) and a softer, quieter ride. The low profile tires can go on the Fords.

Edited by LM4EVR

The fact remains the FWD Cougar was a sales bomb. It may have been a good car, and even a stylish car, but it was not a Mercury or a Cougar - it was a Ford Probe. It should have been sold as a Probe. I bought two new Cougars (89 and 97). I bought the 97 when I heard there would be no new RWD Cougars and that the upcoming FWD Cougar was designed specifically to not appeal to the tradional Mercury customer (me!). There are some people who prefer a larger, plusher, softer-riding car. And that is the market where the Cougar was most successful. And that is just fact.

If anything a "personal luxury" notchback version of the Mustang (a new Capri) would be nice.

Mercury needs to go back to it's roots - an upmarket Ford that is just a little plusher, quieter and fancier.

With some styling differences, of course. Mercury, as a US only make, should be the tradtionalist alternative to the Ford. The sporty crowd can go with Fords. There are plenty of people (though perhaps not the majority) who would welcome a "comfort-cruiser". Give me higher profile, smaller wheeled, tires that have more give (and are less likely to go flat) and a softer, quieter ride. The low profile tires can go on the Fords.

If Mercury is going to go back with its roots for the cougar, I sure hope its not the land yacht cougars, but the 60's luxury sports coupe which was just a mustang.

I feel the closest thing to the orginal sports cougar from the 60's was the fwd cougar, it finally got back to the sports car it should be not the 2 door grand marquis coupe that it turned into the 90s.

Im not arguing the larger rwd cougars were successfull, I know they were. But you cant touch the FWD Cougar, it remains true to the original except that it s FWD

Im not arguing the larger rwd cougars were successfull, I know they were. But you cant touch the FWD Cougar, it remains true to the original except that it s FWD

Heh-heh...about the only time I see any of those last gen WWD Cougars now there's a high school driving it "ricering" it out. Probably because he couldn't afford a used Civic. :hysterical:

Heh-heh...about the only time I see any of those last gen WWD Cougars now there's a high school driving it "ricering" it out. Probably because he couldn't afford a used Civic. :hysterical:

whats a WWD Cougar?

but right, like the only people driviing your precious panthers are cops and taxi drivers.

you can even compare those cheap civics to the fwd cougars.

whats a WWD Cougar?

but right, like the only people driviing your precious panthers are cops and taxi drivers.

I remember getting excited about hearing they were going to bring back the Cougar in 1999 and then it was a ricer wannable a what a disappointment. A sister coupe to the LS but under the Cougar nameplate woulda been a better way to go. :shades:

If ford wants to keep Mercury alive, then the first sign of it showing would be a new Cougar. Mercury fans want it and ford knows that. But the question comes to ford should they risk building it as it could be a bomb or a sucess. If i were mulally, i would the heck with it, LETS BUILD IT!!!

They might as well, it wont cost that much money to design it and it can be build right off the Mustangs assembly line. Im even OK if they want to do a limited run like they did with the t-bird.

Or maybe something totally different.

As we all know the current Focus is being revamped, new chassis and everything. But the old/current chassis is pretty decent in it's own right AND it's flexible enough to take even a V8 and RWD or AWD.

see link

http://www.streetracersonline.com/articles/rs8/

Imagine a chopped Focus, different grill and details...it would take some engineering, but most of that's been done and it's paid for :shades:

post-19198-1205815648_thumb.jpg

As we all know the current Focus is being revamped, new chassis and everything. But the old/current chassis is pretty decent in it's own right AND it's flexible enough to take even a V8 and RWD or AWD.

see link

Imagine a chopped Focus, different grill and details...it would take some engineering, but most of that's been done and it's paid for :shades:

Actually, that doesn't look that bad, IMO. Good work, Tim.

Edited by rmc523

see link

Nice job, not a Cougar but thumps up as a Lynx maybe

whats a WWD Cougar?

WWD= WRONG WHEE DRIVE

The best Cougars were 1967-73. Even the 1971-73 Cougars were big. By 1974 it took on the mid-sized Montego 2-door body and was huge. However mid-sized personal luxury cars was the hottest selling segment in the 1970's.

After the 1980-82 downsize the Cougar tanked with the Tbird. It recovered nicely in 1983 along with the new Aerobird. However luxury imports, SUV's and 4-door sedans took over as sales leaders in the 1990's and large coupes became doomed. By 1997 the Cougar and Tbird was neglected by running too long in the same body style with only cosmetic changes. Their successors were totally different vehicles aiming at different customer targets.

I still believe a luxury sport oriented Cougar based on a Mustang would be the way to go if it was to ever go again at all. It could be styled and equipped to appeal in a different way that would not work on a Mustang but be the epitome of what the original Cougar was all about.

I am still torn about whether a revived Cougar should be classically desgned or go the direction of the Messenger Concept with four seats. I like both ideas.

see link

Wow, it looks very good. The only thing that you should change is the top character line on the door. It needs to be flatter.

see link

Looks nice but i would rather the name be Mercury Comet. Just to break away from every mercury vehicle starting with the letter M.

Agreed.

My list of favorite mercury names

1. Mercury Comet

2. Mercury Sable

3. Mercury Cougar

4. Mercury Lynx

5. Mercury Bobcat

6. Mercury Panther

7. Mercury Park Lane

8. Mercury Cylcone

9. Mercury Monarch

10. Mercury M1

Mercury was known as the Cat back in the day and i would love to see Mercury name there next 4 vehicles ( if any are produced ) to be Cougar, Lynx, Panther and Bobcat because those names reflect that Mercury is indeed the sign of the cat and the Cat logo needs to be brought back.

It would be pretty awsome to see Mercury have 4 Cats in their lineup such as Cougar, Lynx, Panther and Bobcat. That would make all the other brands scared and run for there money, IF ITS DONE RIGHT.

My list of favorite mercury names

1. Mercury Comet

2. Mercury Sable

3. Mercury Cougar

4. Mercury Lynx

5. Mercury Bobcat

6. Mercury Panther

7. Mercury Park Lane

8. Mercury Cylcone

9. Mercury Monarch

10. Mercury M1

Mercury was known as the Cat back in the day and i would love to see Mercury name there next 4 vehicles ( if any are produced ) to be Cougar, Lynx, Panther and Bobcat because those names reflect that Mercury is indeed the sign of the cat and the Cat logo needs to be brought back.

It would be pretty awsome to see Mercury have 4 Cats in their lineup such as Cougar, Lynx, Panther and Bobcat. That would make all the other brands scared and run for there money, IF ITS DONE RIGHT.

all good names, except M1 i wouldnt want to go alphanumeric

• 2 weeks later...
If Mercury is going to go back with its roots for the cougar, I sure hope its not the land yacht cougars, but the 60's luxury sports coupe which was just a mustang.

I feel the closest thing to the orginal sports cougar from the 60's was the fwd cougar, it finally got back to the sports car it should be not the 2 door grand marquis coupe that it turned into the 90s.

The Cougars of the 90s were certainly NOT land yachts....they were personal luxury coupes - not too big, not too small. If you want a small sporty car Ford has it in the Mustang. L-M needs a bigger platform for a new Cougar and Continental Mark (which would also be the basis for a new T-bird).

The best selling, most profitable Cougars of all time were the 77-79 XR-7s. The FWD Cougar may have been closer to the original concept (67 Cougar) but did not sell as well as even that generation. Sales are where it is at. The 2 seat Thunderbirds of 55-57 were cute. The big T-birds were popular and profitable. Ford went back to the original concept with the T-Bird...and sales were underwhelming. Maybe they should try something popular again. But please, don't worry, they won't for either the Cougar or T-Bird or even the Mark.