What is this?

Sixt9coug

I've seen two of these recently, but never was close enough to get a decent picture of one, (cell phone pics here) or able to read the nameplates. Is this a Mexican Escape or something? It looked smaller than one, but maybe that was my eyes throwing me off. The headlights didnt appear to wrap around into the fenders either, but im still not sure what it is. It looked kinda 'cheap' but hey, thought someone here might know.

02-24-08_1607.jpg

I've seen two of these recently, but never was close enough to get a decent picture of one, (cell phone pics here) or able to read the nameplates. Is this a Mexican Escape or something? It looked smaller than one, but maybe that was my eyes throwing me off. The headlights didnt appear to wrap around into the fenders either, but im still not sure what it is. It looked kinda 'cheap' but hey, thought someone here might know.

02-24-08_1607.jpg

It's a Ford EcoSport that we were but aren't getting because Mark Fields deemed it not good enough for us. I believe it's built in Mexico or Brazil or both?

ecosport-03.gif

It's smaller than Escape, it's a b-car. I saw one when I was in the Bahamas.

Edited by rmc523

yup, thats what it looked like. It was rather small in person. Not bad looking, but it looked like a cheaper Escape.

That's exactly what the one I saw looked like, a mini, cheaper Escape (previous gen). I didn't think it looked all that bad either.

It's a Ford EcoSport that we were but aren't getting because Mark Fields deemed it not good enough for us. I believe it's built in Mexico or Brazil or both?

ecosport-03.gif

It's smaller than Escape, it's a b-car. I saw one when I was in the Bahamas.

Too bad, probably gets 30+ MPGs...

The EcoSport might be nice, but Fields thought that it was trying out Korean the Koreans...hopefully we'll get something thats a bit more upscale for the North American market in the next couple years

I just got back from Puerto Vallarta and saw one down there that couldn't have been two weeks old. It looked to be "loaded" with all the options, and from what I observed just by looking at it, it would have been a success here.

Speculation is saying we will have a SUV type b-car by 2010, IIRC.

That said, at the time it was being considered for introduction to the US market, competitor's b-cars weren't much to look at either, so I think, even though it may have "out Koreaned the Koreans", it would've been a good product for Ford to establish itself in the b-market. However, I can see where Fields is coming from.....he didn't want to introduce a lackluster product that could soil Ford's US b-car reputation, thus losing possible future sales.....he sacrificed the short term (sales) in favor of the long term (sales), which is likely a smarter and better move on his part.

Edited by rmc523

• 3 months later...