200,000 Classic Retro Ford Vehicles

Overdrive

49convertible.jpg

This vehicle is beautiful. It looks like it's sitting on the Tbird platform. Anyway, as someone who would be first in line with cash in fist, this is my dream configuration for this thing.

Build on the Crown Vic platform, yes, rear wheel drive

Same V8 Engine and Trans as CV

2 versions...value and upscale

NO OPTIONS - $20K - Value Version 4 door

Value would be a 60/40 split bench in the front

The seats should be vinyl and reminicent of circa 1950s vehicles

The dash I would retro out to look like something from the 50s as well

029004.jpg

The interior should all be -metal- not plastic (or look metal anyway)

Crank windows, manual locks, tilt/cruisde/ac/am fm cd standard

ABS and normal safety enhancements

NO OPTIONS - $30K - Upscale Version - 4 door

Buckets

Leather Seats

All the normal goodies

Maybe turbo charger on V8? (that would be insane?)

Half the guys in North America would be lined up to buy this thing

Edited by Maximum Overdrive

That car was part of the "get attention, then produce nothing" approach from a few years ago. The buzz from that, the 427, and a couple of seriously cool Lincolns was incredible...and utterly wasted.

Agree....these are the kinds of cars Ford should be looking at producing. Whoever the designer was that came up with this...they need to turn loose man.

Yup.Know why Chrysler is profitable and Fords not ?Chrysler builds "concept" vehicle that they actually sell.Instead of waiting on a car show,they just build the damn things,and their hits.Ford likes the smoke and mirror effect,then comes the dissapointment..Heres a scenario................

Your are a owner of an ice cream shop.Sales are slow,and people are shopping the competition across the street.So you decide to create some new and exciting flavors,and give out some samples for free.Everyone goes crazy about the new flavors,and the line is wrapped around the building.Do you...

A) Make as much of the new stuff as you can and make crazy profits.

B)Switch back to the same old stuff you 've been selling,and HOPE people come back.

C)None of the above

:blink:

That car looks really cool, so....it will never see the light of day. What is wrong with these car companies these days. They come with ass kickin designs at the car show and build turds on wheels! As for the metal dash...the lawyers would love that. The guy that came up with the design? He's locked up in a dungeon somewhere being forced to look at Yugo designs.

Did anybody see the Buick Blackhawk concept a couple of years ago? SWEET!

49convertible.jpg

This vehicle is beautiful. It looks like it's sitting on the Tbird platform. Anyway, as someone who would be first in line with cash in fist, this is my dream configuration for this thing.

Build on the Crown Vic platform, yes, rear wheel drive

Same V8 Engine and Trans as CV

2 versions...value and upscale

NO OPTIONS - $20K - Value Version 4 door

Value would be a 60/40 split bench in the front

The seats should be vinyl and reminicent of circa 1950s vehicles

The dash I would retro out to look like something from the 50s as well

029004.jpg

The interior should all be -metal- not plastic (or look metal anyway)

Crank windows, manual locks, tilt/cruisde/ac/am fm cd standard

ABS and normal safety enhancements

NO OPTIONS - $30K - Upscale Version - 4 door

Buckets

Leather Seats

All the normal goodies

Maybe turbo charger on V8? (that would be insane?)

Half the guys in North America would be lined up to buy this thing

I agree! I would buy that car. I still want bucket seats and full power.

• 1 month later...

Ahhh, the Fourty-Nine. We drve an hour and a half to see it in person when it was part of the "Living Legends" tour. The interior was awful, but the exterior-I'd buy it in a second. I did buy the diecast, I guess that's as close to production it will ever get. I think it was a sneaky way of finding out if retro really was hot-for the redesign on the new Stang. Otherwise, why build a retro concept that people went crazy over, but stash it away (or even crush it-they still do that with concepts, right?) and never build it? That car would have pushed the PT right outta the way-all the people that wanted a decent sized car with a retro classyness to it.

Oh, and don't think it's an older generation thing either-I'm 29.

First, the Ranger should be dropped and a BRAND NEW ( MIDSIZE ) pick-up should be added. RANGER owners would move up, DAKOTA owners would move over and the WORLD would get a BRAND NEW FORD PICK-UP made by the best pick-up manufacturer in the world. YES, it should be made in the U.S.A. Second, what was the deal with that T-BIRD? Come on now, bring it back out as the (TXT) THUNDERBIRD EXTREME. Go head to head with the CORVETTE, front engine, rear drive, two seat POWERHOUSE it was meant to be. There is more than enough room in the FORD line up for two serious SPORT CARS !!! It also should be made in the U.S.A. Third, have they ever thought of retooling one of their closed plants and manufacturing an AMERICAN MADE TOURING MOTORCYCLE? How's that for a noval idea? I'm sure they would sell millions of all 3 of these products!!! In closing, most AMERICAN'S understand trade deficites and JOB'S leaving AMERICA. Give them WORLD CLASS AMERICAN MADE PRODUCTS and no one can compete!!! Randy (31 year FORD employee)